The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

BA Fine Art (UAL)

Scroll to see replies

Thank you! I'm probably going to go to CSM because I attended a summer course there and I really loved the ambiance and it felt like I belonged. I'm also still 17 so I'm going to finish pretty young and I don't mind that.
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by Boom_agus
I applied to CSM and Chelsea. Got an offer from CSM in the 2D Pathway. Chelsea deferred me to their Foundation because I haven't done one.

Wow congrats!! You're literally the first I've heard who's heard anything back from CSM, when did you have the interview? 😊
Original post by sdavid
Wow congrats!! You're literally the first I've heard who's heard anything back from CSM, when did you have the interview? 😊

Thanks, it was on the 13th of January
Reply 23
Thanks, it was on the 13th of January

Omg no way, so are you going straight from a levels?
Original post by sdavid
Omg no way, so are you going straight from a levels?

From the IB yeah
Reply 25
Update: I have just received an invitation to attend an interview at CSM on Thursday 2nd March. Does anybody have any portfolio or interview advice? Like what can they ask me and what they're really looking for? It would be of great help, thank you!! 😊
Reply 26
Original post by sdavid
Update: I have just received an invitation to attend an interview at CSM on Thursday 2nd March. Does anybody have any portfolio or interview advice? Like what can they ask me and what they're really looking for? It would be of great help, thank you!! 😊

Great me too!! On the 17th though. I would just watch all their YouTube videos and also practice talking about your work and have someone put it into order for you, I'm doing that today. Will you be able to update me on your experience with the interview and what questions they ask you? I'm not entirely sure if I can attend it yet since it's quite far and I would need to come back up to Scotland the next day for work. :-)
Original post by sdavid

They asked me stuff like:
-Pick one piece that really defines your work and talk about it.
-What inspires you to work?
-Which contemporary artists inspire you and why?
-Outside 2D, have you experimented with other forms of art (like performance) and did you enjoy them? (For this one, I think they like if you have experimented and you make it clear which ones you liked and which ones you were less enthusiastic about)
-If you were asked to write your dissertation today, how would you approach it?
Is CSM anyone's first choice?
Reply 29
Original post by ntrxx
Great me too!! On the 17th though. I would just watch all their YouTube videos and also practice talking about your work and have someone put it into order for you, I'm doing that today. Will you be able to update me on your experience with the interview and what questions they ask you? I'm not entirely sure if I can attend it yet since it's quite far and I would need to come back up to Scotland the next day for work. :-)

Aw yay! And yeah I have been watching their YouTube videos about portfolios a lot recently lol they're very helpful but I guess I just wanted to know the kinds of questions they could ask. And yeah of course! I'll reply on here about what they asked and how it went overall! Apparently they can be very brutal sometimes so we will wait and see.

And oh no, you should definitely try to get down to London and attend I think. I know it's very far but they rarely reschedule interviews! How far is it on a train for you? 😊
Reply 30
They asked me stuff like:
-Pick one piece that really defines your work and talk about it.
-What inspires you to work?
-Which contemporary artists inspire you and why?
-Outside 2D, have you experimented with other forms of art (like performance) and did you enjoy them? (For this one, I think they like if you have experimented and you make it clear which ones you liked and which ones you were less enthusiastic about)
-If you were asked to write your dissertation today, how would you approach it?

Thank you so much!! 🎉 Yeah I'll start maybe prepping answers for these and more. Have you heard back from them yet? And did the interview feel friendly? Because they can be harsh sometimes. x
Original post by sdavid
Thank you so much!! 🎉 Yeah I'll start maybe prepping answers for these and more. Have you heard back from them yet? And did the interview feel friendly? Because they can be harsh sometimes. x

You're welcome! I hope you get it! Yeah, I got an offer; they tell you their decision at the end of the interview. It was a bit brutal because there are about 20 people and you wait in the waiting room for 20 minutes or so then you are all call into a room to display your portfolio and leave for about 1hr30mins. When you get back, they call people in one by one and interview them. For me, there seemed to be a good cop and bad cop. One was smiling and asking me questions and nodding her head at what I was saying and the other had a straight face was a bit intimidating. But just remember to keep your cool.
Is CSM your top choice?
Original post by colourwheel123
Is CSM your top choice?

Yup
Reply 34
You're welcome! I hope you get it! Yeah, I got an offer; they tell you their decision at the end of the interview. It was a bit brutal because there are about 20 people and you wait in the waiting room for 20 minutes or so then you are all call into a room to display your portfolio and leave for about 1hr30mins. When you get back, they call people in one by one and interview them. For me, there seemed to be a good cop and bad cop. One was smiling and asking me questions and nodding her head at what I was saying and the other had a straight face was a bit intimidating. But just remember to keep your cool.

Thank you! And congratulations!! Oh okay I get you, wow hopefully it turns out okay on the day. It's so hard to know what they think of your work sometimes. I had my Leeds college of art interview last week and the interviewer was so intimidating and rude at times, I didn't think I'd get in but I got an offer yesterday. Which is crazy. But yeah I'm not sure if it's first choice tbh because London has always been a dream for me but Ill have to really think about it all before picking any of my choices. So I don't have a first choice but london is definitely up there for me. 😊 What about yours?
Original post by sdavid
Thank you! And congratulations!! Oh okay I get you, wow hopefully it turns out okay on the day. It's so hard to know what they think of your work sometimes. I had my Leeds college of art interview last week and the interviewer was so intimidating and rude at times, I didn't think I'd get in but I got an offer yesterday. Which is crazy. But yeah I'm not sure if it's first choice tbh because London has always been a dream for me but Ill have to really think about it all before picking any of my choices. So I don't have a first choice but london is definitely up there for me. 😊 What about yours?

CSM is definitely my first choice. Oh, I had the same experience you had with Leeds with Goldsmiths.
Reply 36
CSM is definitely my first choice. Oh, I had the same experience you had with Leeds with Goldsmiths.

Well if it all ends up going well then I'll see you there 😭 How exciting! How was goldsmiths? A lot of my friends have applied there but I don't think they've had interviews yet.
Original post by sdavid
Well if it all ends up going well then I'll see you there 😭 How exciting! How was goldsmiths? A lot of my friends have applied there but I don't think they've had interviews yet.

How is your Chelsea application going? Do you think Chelsea is a good college to consider?
Reply 38
Original post by colourwheel123
How is your Chelsea application going? Do you think Chelsea is a good college to consider?

Chelsea still haven't responded to me at all. I'm not sure if they will or it might take a couple more weeks maybe? Yes, I went to the open day at Chelsea and really liked it! They're well facilitated and it's a nice campus to study. The environment felt very friendly and open in comparison to other UAL's such as CSM for example.
Original post by sdavid
Chelsea still haven't responded to me at all. I'm not sure if they will or it might take a couple more weeks maybe? Yes, I went to the open day at Chelsea and really liked it! They're well facilitated and it's a nice campus to study. The environment felt very friendly and open in comparison to other UAL's such as CSM for example.

Yeah, but they lack a dark room, but I heard that you might get access to Camberwell's. The other facilities are nice though. What do you think of the studio space and how the course is structured? Where is your top choice?

Quick Reply

Latest