The Student Room Group

This is what a true Feminist looks like.

During a visit to Lebanon, le Pen refused to cover up.

IMG_0848.JPG

Good for her.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1600R6

And apparently wearing a hijab is a "choice" :lol:

Scroll to see replies

"Nods and Thumbs up"
Hah. The only time you consider a feminist valid is when you use it to push your racist agenda.

What a tosser :dice:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Twinpeaks
Hah. The only time you consider a feminist valid is when you use it to push your racist agenda.

What a tosser :dice:

Islam isn't a race, nor are muslims.

She stood up against a real patriarchy, and all you've got is "you're racist".

You ***-dumpster.
(edited 7 years ago)
She is such a hypocrite, first she wants to ban all religious symbols in public, and obviously includes muslim people to participate otherwise you get the phrase:'' Go back to your own country then'', but she refuses to abide to other countries cultures/practices, mate get back to France then,
Reply 5
Here's another feminist.

Attachment not found
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by limadima
She is such a hypocrite, first she wants to ban all religious symbols in public, and obviously includes muslim people to participate otherwise you get the phrase:'' Go back to your own country then'', but she refuses to abide to other countries cultures/practices, mate get back to France then,

She's not trying to live in Lebanon. Which doesn't even have headscarves as a norm, given the number of Christians living there.

She's there as a visitor or diplomat, and the hosting party has made a demand of her which she's refused - I don't see how that's hypocrisy.
So she believes that migrants to France must embrace French culture and French customs/norms, but refuses to respect the custom in Lebanon of covering hair when meeting the Mufti. Interesting.
Reply 8
Original post by childofthesun
So she believes that migrants to France must embrace French culture and French customs/norms, but refuses to respect the custom in Lebanon of covering hair when meeting the Mufti. Interesting.

Except she isn't a migrant to Lebanon, is she, you half wit.
Original post by Dodgypirate
Except she isn't a migrant to Lebanon, is she, you half wit.

Clearly my point went over your head.

Covering yourself up is not a norm or custom of Lebanon.
Clearly my point went over your head.

That's because you have no point.

She's visiting the country, the mufti demanded that she cover up, she refused, she left. Nothing wrong with that, nothing hypocritical either.
Original post by Trinculo
Covering yourself up is not a norm or custom of Lebanon.

I know, I'm Lebanese. I said she refused the custom of covering hair when meeting the Mufti.

She didn't refuse to respect the custom, she cancelled the meeting because the custom she disagreed with was a prerequisite. The custom was respectfully rejected, and she stood by her principals.

The word for people who go along with things like that rather than standing their ground is collaborators.
Original post by Dodgypirate
That's because you have no point.

She's visiting the country, the mufti demanded that she cover up, she refused, she left. Nothing wrong with that, nothing hypocritical either.

No, it is hypocritical. She's all for people adopting the norms and customs of the country they're in apart from when it comes to her. I hope you're able to understand that.
I know, I'm Lebanese. I said she refused the custom of covering hair when meeting the Mufti.

Which is nothing at all like being a migrant, in fact - it's the complete opposite.

Migrants go to France forever, and are asked to become part of that society - part of France, hence they are asked to meet the norms and customs.

A foreign visitor (a pseudo-diplomat) is not seeking to live in Lebanon forever. She's representing her French party on a single visit. She's explicitly a foreigner representing a foreign interest.
No, it is hypocritical. She's all for people adopting the norms and customs of the country they're in apart from when it comes to her. I hope you're able to understand that.

When they migrate to France, they are expected to embrace the country's secular laws.

When Le Pen visited Lebanon, where wearing a hijab isn't compulsory, chose to turn it down and walked away. What is wrong with that?

She is standing up for women's rights and secular principles.

This is nonsensical. A political visitor is never required to conform to cultural norms. They might be asked, but they may certainly refuse. If the Grand Mufti visited France, would he be required to consume wine or eat pork (which are pretty big parts of French culture)? Of course not. He's a visitor. Would he be asked to pay tax or produce a French ID document? No. He's a visitor.
Original post by BigYoSpeck
She didn't refuse to respect the custom, she cancelled the meeting because the custom she disagreed with was a prerequisite. The custom was respectfully rejected, and she stood by her principals.

The word for people who go along with things like that rather than standing their ground is collaborators.

i.e Sweden's envoys who wore headscarves. I'm quite happy for Le Pen, I don't agree or disagree with her, but on this occasion she did well to stand her ground.
Original post by Trinculo
This is nonsensical. A political visitor is never required to conform to cultural norms. They might be asked, but they may certainly refuse. If the Grand Mufti visited France, would he be required to consume wine or eat pork (which are pretty big parts of French culture)? Of course not. He's a visitor. Would he be asked to pay tax or produce a French ID document? No. He's a visitor.

You are obliterating his argument, well done!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending