The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SteamboatMickey
I have to go for a dental filling at 4pm

The dentist... I'm ashamed to say that I am terrified of the dentist. Always have been. It's safe to say that I am one anxious SteamboatMickey at the moment :frown:

Be the person who invents some genetically modified organism, or some stem cell wizardry, to clean and repair teeth automatically for cheaps.
I have returned

It was not as bad as I was expecting. The dentist was lovely and the actual drilling felt like it took five seconds. I feel like I have a huge lip but it's all good. :biggrin:
Original post by Mathemagicien
Be the person who invents some genetically modified organism, or some stem cell wizardry, to clean and repair teeth automatically for cheaps.

Ah yes with my non-STEM degree :tongue::wink:
Ah yes with my non-STEM degree :tongue::wink:

I know a lot of people who changed their subject here; even one who changed from Engineering to HSPS here. I imagine there must be some people swap from (History?) to a proper subject, although this is probably a lot rarer.
I know a lot of people who changed their subject here; even one who changed from Engineering to HSPS here. I imagine there must be some people swap from (History?) to a proper subject, although this is probably a lot rarer.

A "proper" subject? So rude :tongue: :lol:

Still better than a Land Economist. :wink:
Reply 1546

There's a new FOI showing how many students change course.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/data_about_students_changing_tri#incoming-941355

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm fairly surprised you can change from NatSci to Maths.

Thanks as always
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NeverLucky

Thanks as always, jneill

Lot's of good mathematicians in NatSci so it's not terribly surprising.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes and I'm one of them...
Yes...definitely...
Ha.
Yes...definitely...
Ha.

I sense some self-doubt there :tongue: :biggrin:
Reply 1551

Thanks as always

One of the benefits of the Tripos system. NB. these aren't necessarily people who change early in the Tripos. I expect most will be those completing Part I in one course and then doing Part II in something else.

@Reality Check you might be interested in this too :wink:

Whojthenhelleareiyou.l
Reply 1553
Whojthenhelleareiyou.l

Your worst nightmare.
Original post by Doonesbury
Your worst nightmare.

My supervisor? :hide:
Original post by Doonesbury
One of the benefits of the Tripos system. NB. these aren't necessarily people who change early in the Tripos. I expect most will be those completing Part I in one course and then doing Part II in something else.

@Reality Check you might be interested in this too :wink:

Thanks!

Thanks as always

Changing tripos is a very common thing - it's one of the great attractions of the system. Going from NatSci to Maths is a very natural move (and so would going the other way). So long as the right 'Parts' exist and the DoSs of both subjects agree, there's some very odd combinations that are entirely possible. Before about 2009, it was possible to do to do three Part I in various combinations and finish with a BA, thought this was extremely rare. The regulations changed to stop this - now you must have a Part II to proceed.
Original post by wolfmoon88

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes...definitely...
Ha.

I'll deffo be able to switch to maths after I do elementary maths for biologists kappa
Original post by k.russell
I'll deffo be able to switch to maths after I do elementary maths for biologists kappa

^Too much kappa here... #ftnapride
Original post by Reality Check
Thanks!

Changing tripos is a very common thing - it's one of the great attractions of the system. Going from NatSci to Maths is a very natural move (and so would going the other way). So long as the right 'Parts' exist and the DoSs of both subjects agree, there's some very odd combinations that are entirely possible. Before about 2009, it was possible to do to do three Part I in various combinations and finish with a BA, thought this was extremely rare. The regulations changed to stop this - now you must have a Part II to proceed.

I can understand changing subjects obviously. I was just fairly surprised that you can switch to Maths in particular since Maths requires a different set of skills compared to mathematical methods in NatSci.
Reply 1559
Original post by Reality Check

Yep, according to that FOI approx 300 students change Tripos each year. Although from humanities to a science looks unusual :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending