The Student Room Group

IKEAPanda37's Surviving A-levels (and other stuff) Adventure :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NiamhM1801

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by IKEAPanda37

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Coffee cake :coma: Glad you had a nice time at UEA, how it's equally nice when you go to visit Swansea on Sat!

Half-terms are totes for relaxing, imho :yep: One has to have a break from studying sometimes :smartass:

OMG Yes, it's so good :love:
Thanks, and yeah, Swansea was my 2nd favourite after Cardiff so I hope its good:h:

Exactly :thumbsup: although some may say I break too often:colondollar:
I'm exactly the same with UEA; I kind of regret applying there now to be honest because I can't imagine myself liking the campus :tongue:. I only applied because Norwich is a really beautiful place and the course I applied for (cognitive psychology) looks really interesting, but I should have done more research haha.

Coffee cake is amazing! Especially with a coffee on the side..

I hope you enjoy Swansea! I've heard that the beach is really nice :smile:
Blog Post #7 (17th-22nd February)
So I've not updated in a while:colondollar::hide::redface: but I'm here now so here's whats been happening since whenever:biggrin:

17th
- Travelled to Swansea with my family - 4 hour car journey but I had my iPod so I was fine :thumbsup:
- My parents are really bad with directions:rolleyes::rolleyes: so we went around the same car park 3 times, it was the wrong car park, but luckily because I have a brilliant sense of direction, I directed them to the right car park and then we walked to the hotel
- After dropping our stuff off, we had a walk around Swansea city centre and the shopping centre and stuff (its actually pretty good there, better than my town centre anyway:tongue:)
- We ate at the hotel and I had a burger with two burgers and bacon :yum: Dessert wasn't my best idea tho, it was a fudge sundae with bits of fudge cake, Munchies and whipped cream and I couldn't eat all of it, my mum finished it for me:redface: Tasted amazing tho:h: Totally did not play Pokemon Go in the restuarant:colondollar: (I hardly play it but I caught loads)
- Just slept after that tbh :sleep:

18th
- Went to Swansea University (we all went tho, my sister did not wanna be there tho....)
- We went on a campus tour (for my dad because he hadnt visited any unis) and spoke to the two tour guides on our way around about my course (they did languages so it was really good:h:)
- We went to the introduction talk which was lead by someone called Barry (Barry is a great name:biggrin:) but yeah it was interesting and stuff, awkward tho because theres banter between Cardiff and Swansea and I'm stuck between both:redface:
- We went to one of the many cafes on the site (theres like loads, well 5, but thas still loads) and I had a ham roll, I wanted cake but my parents were ignoring me, then my dad bought me a slice of cake, because my dad is awesome. I dont even know what the cake was but it tasted so amazing (:cake: :love: :cake: :love:)
- My mum and sister left to go sightseeing and my dad went to the Arts and Humainities talk with me before we split into our seperate departments
- There wasn't actually that many of us (about 8 of us) but yeah, only 3 of us wanted to do the Modern Languages, Translation and Interpreting course
- After the talk about the courses and the presentations of the two students ambasadors about their years abroad, us applicants split from parents and went with the ambassadors and lecturers. We did a quiz about languages and how many people speak them and stuff, with this app called Kahoot https://kahoot.it/#/ which was really cool. I finished 6th out of 8 :frown: but yeah Didn't have an actual lecture or anything which was a shame but still good and enjoyable
- Met up with mum and sister and left (6 hours in the car because we had to go to farm to see pony) but I was fine :thumbsup: (thanks to iPod and 3 bottles of drink:tongue:)
- Got a McDonalds :woo: :woo: :woo: Their vanilla milkshakes are perfection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
- I'm actually torn, I literally love both Swansea and Cardiff now, can I go to both?? We'll just have to see :dontknow:

20th
- Nothing really happened on 19th so I'm just skipping it
- Back to school :frown:

:france: French :france:
- Still carrying on with poverty topic, but I'm not entirely sure what we were looking at today tbh :dontknow:
- Still yet to know marks for our speaking exams

Travel and Tourism
- Event management portfolio
- Our teacher is a bit panicked because we're a bit behind (trip is on 16th March and we have loads to do before it....)
- To do = Complete Human Relations, Teamwork and Different types of leadership sections (1st March)

:work: Study :work:
- Did more work on improving my cities assessments for Geography
- Improved my essay on impacts on poorest people from seismic events
- Stayed after school to get as much done as possible :thumbsup: (Me being mroe productive:biggrin:)

21st

- Finished improving all marked work for Cities (Geography)
- Emailed my Geography teacher and now I'm having a one to one on Friday morning :thumbsup:

:hide: Geography :hide:
- Started the very fun topic of waste management :woo:
- Made loads of notes, drew diagrams etc.
- Learnt that we have mock exams 6th-10th March....... Ummmm what???????????? :eek: :eek2: :eek3: :eek4: Apparently I was the only person who didnt know :facepalm:
- Geography trip = 17th March (A2 revision conference in London, doesnt look like we'll be getting Pizza hut tho :frown:
To do = Complete waste management notes and diagrams, research our town's waste management programme thing whatever, answer the exam question ("With reference to examples, discuss the relative merits of waste management strategies":wink:, complete the revision sheet on cities, revise for a cities test, read and highlight journal article on cities

- Finished notes on waste management
- Drew a pie chart free-hand, maybe not my best idea but i did it so yeah:tongue:

22nd

- Researched my local area's waste management strategy
- Started planning the exam question (I really don't understand the question but I'll just wing it:wink:)

Travel and Tourism
- Event management portfolio
- To do = HR, teamwork and leadership sections, sort out tour scripts for everyone

- We did listening exercises as well as translations, which were both our weaknesses iin the exam
- Did well on the listening, 21/26 :thumbsup:
- My teacher said that she's marked our assessments but had to moderate them with the assistant, I definitely need to work on my spontaneousness (is that even a word???? :dontknow:)
- Completed Geography exam question at lucnh :thumbsup:
- Had a debeate on child labour in my French speaking lesson
- My assistant said I just need to be more confident and not to worry about making mistakes, still need to work on unprepeared questions, sometimes I'm ok and others I stress out a bit. Next week, we're gonna have a La Haine discussion which should really help
- To do = Finish translations

Other stuff
- I missed guitar tonight because my mum was stuck at work with the car :frown: I was looking forward to it, one of the few times I can escape A-levels.....
- My best friend broke up with his girlfriend, which has made the group caht really awkward, I just hope he doesn't get pushed out, like they did to my other friend, and me as well.....
- I'm finding that I'm being more productive, I just really want to pass to get out of from my ******** of a school (it really depresses me tbh, the sooner I get away the better:redface:)
- More Eurovision songs :woo: Hungary picked my favourite in the final :love: but Malta and Poland are not good :thumbsdown: Hungary my favourite, with Belarus #2, France #3, Italy #4 and Finland #5 (all great songs)

Stuff to look forward to
- Leicester applicant day (25th February) - not looking likely that I'll accept but you never know, they might surprise me, plus its a day out so I really don't mind. Afterwards, I'll be making my decisions.
- Travel and Tourism Guided Tour trip (16th March)
- Geography revision conference (17th March)

Music
Here's a bit of nostalgia for you guys :thumbsup: When this song came out originally, I wasn't a fan but now since ive really got into drum and bass and stuff, I listened to it again and I love it. Its one of those songs that makes me really emotional when listening to it, just beacuse I think of simpler times:smile:

[video="youtube;YpWaRDMgnPM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpWaRDMgnPM[/video]

Forgot to tag people, seriously what is my life :facepalm:
@CheeseIsVeg @UWS @LeCroissant @The_Lonely_Goatherd @furryface12 @NiamhM1801
(edited 7 years ago)
psst....it's february :tongue:

Glad you liked Swansea though! Good luck for your trips, hope they go well :yep:
Original post by NiamhM1801
psst....it's february :tongue:

Glad you liked Swansea though! Good luck for your trips, hope they go well :yep:

Oops.....:colondollar: Thanks for pointing that out, all this being productive business is actually like frying my brain:tongue:

Haha thank you :hugs: , yeah so do I, carrying out a guided tour is a bit daunting tbh :hide:
Gosh, you peeps do proper intense conversations in your French classes! Child labour sounds mega-deep :eek2:

Glad you liked Swansea. Choosing unis is tough isn't it? I don't envy you now that those days are far behind me :shakecane: :moon: :shakecane: Hope you enjoy seeing Leicester even though it's not looking likely that you'll accept :hugs:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Gosh, you peeps do proper intense conversations in your French classes! Child labour sounds mega-deep :eek2:

Glad you liked Swansea. Choosing unis is tough isn't it? I don't envy you now that those days are far behind me :shakecane: :moon: :shakecane: Hope you enjoy seeing Leicester even though it's not looking likely that you'll accept :hugs:

Yep, we sure do:biggrin: It goes from "what music do you listen to?" and "how can you keep healthy?" at AS to "what do you think about child labour?" and "should we have the death penalty?" at A2. SUch joy:tongue:

Ikr, its like impossible, so jealous right now:frown: Thanks :hugs:
Original post by IKEAPanda37
Yep, we sure do:biggrin: It goes from "what music do you listen to?" and "how can you keep healthy?" at AS to "what do you think about child labour?" and "should we have the death penalty?" at A2. SUch joy:tongue:

Ikr, its like impossible, so jealous right now:frown: Thanks :hugs:

I'm not sure I can eloquently express my thoughts on child labour in English, let alone any other language! Such an emotive topic :frown:
Blog Post #7.5 (23rd February-3rd March)
Yeah.......so it happened again.................I dont remember much tbh:colondollar:

Sat 25th February (Leicester visit day)
- Went to Leicester Uni with my mum:h: Final uni to visit before I made my final decision
- We got lost trying to find the car park :facepalm:
- We went to the welcome talk before getting on a coach for the accommodation of Oadby Student Village (weird coaches tho, 3 seats on 1 side and 2 on the other, like wtaf?!)
- I really like the Student Village, its so cool :thumbsup: I especially like the food court and village hub, so cool:h:
- When we returned to the campus, we had a campus tour, I really liked the tour guide, we had a talk about what I wanted to do and stuff :smile: and we even saw the sports centre which we didnt seel ast time
- I had a hot chocolate and a Bounty Trio for lunch :love: (bounties are bae, dont judge me :naughty:) I also bought an Irn Bru (because Irn Bru is bae too, dont jusge me :naughty:) @NiamhM1801 thoughts?:wink:
- Then we had the department afternoon visit talk thingy wahtever you know what I mean:biggrin:
- Talk before we split up for our taster sessions
- There were 4 tables (Translation, Italian, French and SPanish) but we did all activites, they were really short (like 5 minutes) but intersting :thumbsup:
- Met up with parents and we had a quick lesson on international connections with Leicester before refreshements. THEY HAD CAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woo: I asked for coffee cake (because coffee cake is bae, dont judge me :naughty:) but the lady gave me both coffee cake and chocolate cake :party: We left afterwards
- Went out to the pub for drinks with family when we returned and we got a takeaway pizza :thumbsup:
- I finally replied to my offers on UCAS...........

Spoiler

Monday 27th February

- We've moved on to delinquancy, we wre looking at causes and effects of delinquancy
- I got an E in my French speakng mock :frown: It is just a comfindence issue tho.....
- To do = Translation exercise and essay on causes and effects of delinquancy

Travel and Tourism
- Missed like 20 minutes because of a pointless assembly.....
- You guessed it............event management portfolio :thumbsup:

Study
- Wait what why is the text red, why is this hapening?!!!!!!!!!!!!
- I was looking at accommodation prices for Cardiff and Swansea
- My best friend (who I havent seen so much since we came bacl to school) came to see me and I caight up with hima fter school whilst he was doing media homework. He recently split up with his grilfriend (he had wanted to do it doe a while). Im worried tat he will be phased from our squad because it happpened to one of my other friends when he stopped going with someone else, hes not on the group chat anymore :frown: if hes not invited to stuff, I'll just leaeve because hes been there for me all the time unlke the others

Tuesday 28th February

:work: Study :work
- eGeography exam questions on cities :thumbsup:

:hide: Geography :hide:
- Teacher wasnt there so we were on our own
- Givn a practice A2 skills exam :eek: :eek2: :eek3: :eek4:
- Ate biscuits, chatted :biggrin:
- To do = Finish exam paper

- French translations :france:

Wednesday 1st March
- Mmmmmmmmmmmmm Twix :love:
- Sorry got distarcted:p:o

Travel and Tourism
- We had loads of Y11s in our class :afraid:
- Event management, slowly getting there :thumbsup:
- Did marketing mix and then personality/team role quizzes (we got bored.....:colondollar:)

- Listening and translation exercises (our main weaknesses)
- Did well on listening but only got 10/20 on French to English translation :frown: better than the mock tho (8/20)
- I had ti ask whether the language assistant ws here because she didnt come in the esson like she usually does (luckily she was)
- She took my French folder (it waas heavy) and I went off f lunch, went 6th dorm library, helped librarian, did cities case study mind maps
- French assisstant made game on La Haine to test m y knowledge if ut and to improve speaking skills so o treallu enjoyed it

If its ok Im really tiref si im gonna sleep and finishh thids romorrow:h:

@NiamhM1801 @The_Lonely_Goatherd @UWS @LeCroissant @furryface12

It wont let me tag :frown:
@IKEAPanda37
bounties = yes :gah:
irn bru = absolutely not :hand:

sorted :tongue:

----

Glad you made a decision on unis, I'm sure it's the right one :yep:
Bounty :lolwut: :nope: :afraid:

YAY for making UCAS decisions though :h:

Quick Reply