The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Language Paper 1 Help

We are having an English mock soon and I urgently need tips on paper 1. We are doing the new spec, but are doing a past paper, so I'm presuming the questions will be similar. I know that Q1 is pretty much finding facts from the source. But can someone go through Qs 2,3 and 4 please? I need help on them, but I especially need help with question 4 and question 5 which is the descriptive writing piece.
I don't know what to write about for Q4 and am absolutely stuck on Q5 which is worth the most marks.
For Q5, we get a choice of whether to write a description of a picture (and basically describe surroundings using techniques such as similes and metaphors) or we could write a story about another given theme (which is usually similar to the picture). I find stories too difficult to write, as it's more difficult to include language techniques and the plot needs to be interesting. However, when describing the picture, I spend too long making 'interesting' and unique similes and metaphors, that I just waste my time. I am advised to have interesting techniques though, so my writing stands out from the rest.

My questions are:
1. Please can you go through Qs 2,3 and 4 please? (of Paper 1)
2. Can you help me with Q5 - what do you find easier to write about and how do I avoid starting each sentence with 'The'?
3. How can I be good with timing? I know practicing is one, but the exam is soon, so I don't know how much improvement I can make in that time.
4. How can I have good vocabulary?

I know it's a lot, but I'm stuck and any help would be appreciated. Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by 123_123
We are having an English mock soon and I urgently need tips on paper 1. We are doing the new spec, but are doing a past paper, so I'm presuming the questions will be similar. I know that Q1 is pretty much finding facts from the source. But can someone go through Qs 2,3 and 4 please? I need help on them, but I especially need help with question 4 and question 5 which is the descriptive writing piece.
I don't know what to write about for Q4 and am absolutely stuck on Q5 which is worth the most marks.
For Q5, we get a choice of whether to write a description of a picture (and basically describe surroundings using techniques such as similes and metaphors) or we could write a story about another given theme (which is usually similar to the picture). I find stories too difficult to write, as it's more difficult to include language techniques and the plot needs to be interesting. However, when describing the picture, I spend too long making 'interesting' and unique similes and metaphors, that I just waste my time. I am advised to have interesting techniques though, so my writing stands out from the rest.

My questions are:
1. Please can you go through Qs 2,3 and 4 please? (of Paper 1)
2. Can you help me with Q5 - what do you find easier to write about and how do I avoid starting each sentence with 'The'?
3. How can I be good with timing? I know practicing is one, but the exam is soon, so I don't know how much improvement I can make in that time.
4. How can I have good vocabulary?

I know it's a lot, but I'm stuck and any help would be appreciated. Thank you :smile:

1. Have a look at mrbruffs playlist here in which he goes through how to answer all of the questions on paper 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch-XgnluOf4&list=PLqGFsWf-P-cAlttmXkEvJXCxqT-ZzFqAN

2. Q5 it is always easier to write a descriptive piece than a narrative, but you could include some kind of action in it if you wanted to for excitement. Find a nmemonic e.g. DAFOREST including all of the language techniques. If you're finding it difficult to start, pick one of the techniques, come up with a sentence to go with it, and build your story around taht description.
To avoid using 'the', imagine your sentence in full, and then attempt to switch around the word order or the clauses.
E.g. The house stood on the hill
could be
On the house stood the hill.

3. Ican't really help you with this otehr than suggesting that you practise. You're right in that you probably can't make much difference in between now and the exam, but start practising now in preparation for your actual exam.
When answering the other questions in the paper, try to integrate your quotes into your sentences rather than starting a whole new sentence for your quote, this will save you some time.
If you're running out of time on one question, move on to the text, I recommend you go in order the paper gives you, but you are much more likely to score more marks on the higher marks questions than on the 8,10,12,16 mark questions. You can come back to them at the end if you have tine.

4. Good vocabulary will come from you reading more challenging texts. Make a note of the words you do not understand and research them, and attempt to use the vocabulary in your writing, provided it is suitable .
This is not something you can do overnight, but again, starting now will give you the best chance for the actual exam
Reply 2
Original post by mdnvmpr
1. Have a look at mrbruffs playlist here in which he goes through how to answer all of the questions on paper 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch-XgnluOf4&list=PLqGFsWf-P-cAlttmXkEvJXCxqT-ZzFqAN

2. Q5 it is always easier to write a descriptive piece than a narrative, but you could include some kind of action in it if you wanted to for excitement. Find a nmemonic e.g. DAFOREST including all of the language techniques. If you're finding it difficult to start, pick one of the techniques, come up with a sentence to go with it, and build your story around taht description.
To avoid using 'the', imagine your sentence in full, and then attempt to switch around the word order or the clauses.
E.g. The house stood on the hill
could be
On the house stood the hill.

3. Ican't really help you with this otehr than suggesting that you practise. You're right in that you probably can't make much difference in between now and the exam, but start practising now in preparation for your actual exam.
When answering the other questions in the paper, try to integrate your quotes into your sentences rather than starting a whole new sentence for your quote, this will save you some time.
If you're running out of time on one question, move on to the text, I recommend you go in order the paper gives you, but you are much more likely to score more marks on the higher marks questions than on the 8,10,12,16 mark questions. You can come back to them at the end if you have tine.

4. Good vocabulary will come from you reading more challenging texts. Make a note of the words you do not understand and research them, and attempt to use the vocabulary in your writing, provided it is suitable .
This is not something you can do overnight, but again, starting now will give you the best chance for the actual exam

Thank you so much for your reply. This is VERY helpful :smile: Just one final question: which specific books would you recommend that would help me learn 'ambitious' vocabulary? Thanks again :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by 123_123
Thank you so much for your reply. This is VERY helpful :smile: Just one final question: which specific books would you recommend that would help me learn 'ambitious' vocabulary? Thanks again :smile:

Any classic Literature texts I would suggest are good, some of these are probably
1984 or Animal Farm by George Orwell
Dracula – Bram Stoker
The Shining – Stephen King
Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

I actually found quite a good list here for you that might give you some ideas

http://www.litchamschool.net/gcse-english-suggested-reading-list/
Reply 4
Original post by mdnvmpr
Any classic Literature texts I would suggest are good, some of these are probably
1984 or Animal Farm by George Orwell
Dracula – Bram Stoker
The Shining – Stephen King
Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

I actually found quite a good list here for you that might give you some ideas

http://www.litchamschool.net/gcse-english-suggested-reading-list/

Thank you!! :smile:
Reply 5
My teacher has recommended this to us as timing is very hard. Start with Q4 and then go to Q1, 2, 3 etc. Hope this helps! But practising and timing yourself is the best method.
Original post by AyeshaZ
My teacher has recommended this to us as timing is very hard. Start with Q4 and then go to Q1, 2, 3 etc. Hope this helps! But practising and timing yourself is the best method.

We were recommended to start with Q5 as most of the marks come from there. Q1-3 build up to Q4 so it would be easier to do Q1-3 then 4 rather than Q4 then Q1-3.

Quick Reply

Latest