The Student Room Group

2018 Veterinary applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Che_Chux
If i become a vet will i have to maybe clean the animal poo , if my asst. is busy with a cat heart surgery or something

Of course, what do you think five years of training is for? There's excessive lectures about what different animal poop looks like, which products to use, the best wiping motion (or shoveling if you go into large animal practice) etc etc
If i become a vet will i have to maybe clean the animal poo , if my asst. is busy with a cat heart surgery or something

Not just poo my friend. Think of a bodily secretion, you'll have to clean it up, sample it, get covered in it, have it ruin your shoes etc. (from what I've seen in practice it's not always just animals either)

You won't just have to clean up that. Urine/blood/vomit will all be part of cleaning up as well. As a vet if you walk past a hospitalised animal and see the cage is dirty you would be expected (and I would expect myself to do it to be honest off my own back) to clean it up. The dirty work isn't something you can pass on unfortunately! And as a vet you're going to have all the above (including delightful anal gland juice) on your clothing/hair/arms/face at some point during your career if you go into clinical practice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, is anyone going to Bristol's VetQuest in March?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I am considering applying for vetmed for September 2018 entry.

Including what I have organised and have completed I should have about 12 weeks of wex by the time I apply. (including some work experience in a farm practice).

However I also live on a farm where we have a flock of roughly 80 sheep (35 ewes currently in lamb), which I take a major role in caring for (I have spent every easter lambing for the last 6 years). Will this benefit my application?
Original post by AM2/05/2000
Hi,

I am considering applying for vetmed for September 2018 entry.

Including what I have organised and have completed I should have about 12 weeks of wex by the time I apply. (including some work experience in a farm practice).

However I also live on a farm where we have a flock of roughly 80 sheep (35 ewes currently in lamb), which I take a major role in caring for (I have spent every easter lambing for the last 6 years). Will this benefit my application?

Work experience needs to be done away from your home environment, so I'm afraid it won't count. By all means mention it on your personal statement/at interview if you have the space/time, but focus on the placements which you had to arrange and attend.

They do this to make it fair on people who weren't fortunate enough to grow up with animals. if they did count it, then people who live on farms would have years worth of work experience! The same goes for people who own their own horses etc.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Quiet in here :tumble:.

Anyone up to anything this half term? Anyone off lambing?

I'm at a very busy vets this week, off lambing for two weeks in April though 😁
What's everyone else up to?
Original post by Heidirosew
Hi, is anyone going to Bristol's VetQuest in March?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, but I am going to RVC's taster days in April?
If there's any Nottingham vet students who are going to do a placement at Scarsdale during their final year or so, you might see me there! :tongue:

Managed to score an incredible placement with them every Saturday. Already seen a cow c-section (which was a pretty tough one, vet couldn't complete it via the right side and had to go in through the left and call another vet for help) and a sheep prolapse.
So so so happy!!
Original post by brrrigid
If there's any Nottingham vet students who are going to do a placement at Scarsdale during their final year or so, you might see me there! :tongue:

Managed to score an incredible placement with them every Saturday. Already seen a cow c-section (which was a pretty tough one, vet couldn't complete it via the right side and had to go in through the left and call another vet for help) and a sheep prolapse.
So so so happy!!

Oooh, that's interesting. I was under the impression that they usually went in on the left hand side anyway because a big rumen is easier to keep out of the way than a scrambled mess of intestines :tongue: Never actually seen a cow Caesar though, only a sheep :tongue:
Hey everyone,

just thought I might try get a little structure into this thread.

I will be applying to do veterinary medicine this October so thought it might be useful if we all said which

4 universities we are thinking of applying to

and

how many weeks currently got of work experience (and in what areas if you want)!

Thank you!!!
Cow caesarians are normally done on the left as the intestines fill the right

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anderson2727
Hey everyone,

I will be applying to do veterinary medicine this October so thought it might be useful if we all said which

and

how many weeks currently got of work experience (and in what areas if you want)!

Thank you!!!

Edinburgh, RVC, Glasgow, Liverpool

1 week safari
2 weeks small animal (once a week since November )
1 week lambing

Summer placements:
2 weeks large animal
1 week farm
1 week kennels
1 week cattery
Original post by Angry cucumber
Cow caesarians are normally done on the left as the intestines fill the right

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Oooh, that's interesting. I was under the impression that they usually went in on the left hand side anyway because a big rumen is easier to keep out of the way than a scrambled mess of intestines :tongue: Never actually seen a cow Caesar though, only a sheep :tongue:

Yep sorry that's what I meant! Couldn't get to uterus via left, had to go right. Cow had previously had c-section before which apparently made things harder.
Hey everyone,

and

Thank you!!!

Nottingham, RVC, Surrey or Bristol and then possibly Cambridge if I don't choose to apply for both Surrey and Bristol
I'm also considering Edinburgh or Liverpool :s It's a hard choice agh

Currently I've got:
2 weeks small
2 weeks large / equine
1 week goat husbandry
1 day abbatoir
1 day dairy farming

Yet to come:
at least one week lambing
regular Saturday placement at large animal vet

And I'm looking for further placements in:
Cattery (one down the road from me)
Dairy farming (my cousin owns a farm)
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey everyone,

and

Thank you!!!

applying to Nottingham, RVC, Surrey and Bristol

1 week cattery
1 week kennels
1 week small animals

Still to come is:
(2 taster days at RVC)
1 week farming (but mostly there for lambing)
1 week lambing
2 weeks small animals
1 week pig farm
1 week large animals
1 week equine vets
1 week cattle
1 week kennels/dog groomers
regular sunday work at riding stables
possibility of placement at parrot rescue

all this plus my saturday job and my own horses is sure to keep me busy!
Hey everyone,

and

Thank you!!!

Cambridge, Edinburgh, Bristol, Glasgow

1 week SA animal practice
1 week cattery
1 week equine
does anyone else find consults a lot more interesting than surgery ??
i thought it would be the other way around
Original post by defenestrated

Standard routine surgery and even a lot of emergency is awful to watch but is fun to do for most :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by defenestrated

it's pretty even for me, although I have found that you end up watching a lot of dog castrations or cat spays and routine surgeries like that rather than lots of different surgeries

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending