The Student Room Group

Anyone around looking at Sept 2018 intake?

Hi all I was originally planning on applying for 2017 intake, but after my daughter was unwell I never finished my application and missed the deadline so am now making plans to make my application as strong as it can be and gain a place for sept 2018 and just wondered if there was anyone else around?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm starting my Nurse training in 2018. Start my Access in Sept and currently trying to get into NHS as a HCA. Have an interview next week. I work in a Care Home for the elderly at the mo, but really would like to get some ward experience.😊 Would be nice to get a discussion going for people in the same boat.
Reply 2
HI Amy, I've also signed up for access course starting in Sept, good luck with your interview are you going to apply for adult nursing?

I'm applying for children's nursing, and I'm in the process of doing some volunteering on the children's wards at my local hospital, had my interview and dbs checks just waiting on date to training before I can get started x
Original post by MDouglas
HI Amy, I've also signed up for access course starting in Sept, good luck with your interview are you going to apply for adult nursing?

I'm applying for children's nursing, and I'm in the process of doing some volunteering on the children's wards at my local hospital, had my interview and dbs checks just waiting on date to training before I can get started x

Aw thank you. Its been several attempts to get in the NHS but I'm quite hopeful about this time. Just not very happy in my current role if I am honest, so I am itching to experience another aspect of healthcare. Yes I want to study Adult Nursing with a hope of going into Primary Care: GP Surgeries, OOH Centres etc. Still unsure though so would like to get a lot of experience throughout my training.

Thats great that you've started to get some experience before you're Access course. For Nursing as a profession a lot of success lies with experience. You can't learn all the basic skills of care through theory, you have to have that bit of experience to give you a better understanding. All this will then stand you in good stead for your training.

Good luck for your future in Nursing! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Amy. J S
Aw thank you. Its been several attempts to get in the NHS but I'm quite hopeful about this time. Just not very happy in my current role if I am honest, so I am itching to experience another aspect of healthcare. Yes I want to study Adult Nursing with a hope of going into Primary Care: GP Surgeries, OOH Centres etc. Still unsure though so would like to get a lot of experience throughout my training.

Thats great that you've started to get some experience before you're Access course. For Nursing as a profession a lot of success lies with experience. You can't learn all the basic skills of care through theory, you have to have that bit of experience to give you a better understanding. All this will then stand you in good stead for your training.

Good luck for your future in Nursing! :smile:

When is your interview? Sounds like you've got a good plan of where you want your career to go 😊 I know what you mean about getting into the NHS, I had my initial interview to volunteer at my local hospital back in Oct, got my dbs check through but still waiting on date to do training before I can actually start

Yes I agree experience is invaluable it's just so hard to gain any lol but I'm not giving up

Do you know which unis you're going to apply to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
When is your interview? Sounds like you've got a good plan of where you want your career to go 😊 I know what you mean about getting into the NHS, I had my initial interview to volunteer at my local hospital back in Oct, got my dbs check through but still waiting on date to do training before I can actually start

Yes I agree experience is invaluable it's just so hard to gain any lol but I'm not giving up

Do you know which unis you're going to apply to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wednesday morning, so fingers crossed. After a lot of back and forth in which career I want to go into I feel like Nursing is the only profession I want to go into and stay in. It is literally crazy. I was refused an interview in January because I added an extra number in my final answer on the numeracy test; despite the calculation being correct and the Nurse knew what I was trying to say. I think that's why I have got this interview to be honest. I've been in contact with one of the Nurses who was at the recruitment day and she put my name forward for this interview without me applying. They're trying to fill the places they couldn't on the last recruitment day before the put the next advert out.

I'd really like to end up at Nottingham University to be honest. Keep it local for me. Id love to complete my whole Nurse training in Nottingham and end up working with NUH after I become qualified. I did have an offer for Psychology last year at Nottingham but ended up giving it up after I no longer wanted to pursue Teaching and started working full-time instead. I am looking at Derby too, but I would definitely need to be driving by the end of the year for that to happen.

What about you? I'm sure you had Universities you were interested in before.:smile:
Reply 6
Wednesday morning, so fingers crossed. After a lot of back and forth in which career I want to go into I feel like Nursing is the only profession I want to go into and stay in. It is literally crazy. I was refused an interview in January because I added an extra number in my final answer on the numeracy test; despite the calculation being correct and the Nurse knew what I was trying to say. I think that's why I have got this interview to be honest. I've been in contact with one of the Nurses who was at the recruitment day and she put my name forward for this interview without me applying. They're trying to fill the places they couldn't on the last recruitment day before the put the next advert out.

I'd really like to end up at Nottingham University to be honest. Keep it local for me. Id love to complete my whole Nurse training in Nottingham and end up working with NUH after I become qualified. I did have an offer for Psychology last year at Nottingham but ended up giving it up after I no longer wanted to pursue Teaching and started working full-time instead. I am looking at Derby too, but I would definitely need to be driving by the end of the year for that to happen.

What about you? I'm sure you had Universities you were interested in before.:smile:

Oh wow not long fingers crossed for you :smile:, well that's good you've got someone in your corner putting your name forward, sounds to me you should have no problem getting you'll have to update me on how you get on

That sounds like a good plan, I had similar I gained a place to study law when I was 18 but pulled back when I realised it wasn't what I wanted to do just took me a little while to realise nursing was where my heart lay

I plan to apply to Kingston as same as you wanting to stay local I had planned on that being my only option but this last week I've been looking into London South Bank as its not too far for me to get too and their placements also cover my local hospital but also include Great Ormond Street and Evalina which would be amazing plus they offer a neonatal pathway alongside the children's nursing degree and neonatal is where I'd like to eventually end up so got my attention lol :smile:
Oh wow not long fingers crossed for you :smile:, well that's good you've got someone in your corner putting your name forward, sounds to me you should have no problem getting you'll have to update me on how you get on

That sounds like a good plan, I had similar I gained a place to study law when I was 18 but pulled back when I realised it wasn't what I wanted to do just took me a little while to realise nursing was where my heart lay

I plan to apply to Kingston as same as you wanting to stay local I had planned on that being my only option but this last week I've been looking into London South Bank as its not too far for me to get too and their placements also cover my local hospital but also include Great Ormond Street and Evalina which would be amazing plus they offer a neonatal pathway alongside the children's nursing degree and neonatal is where I'd like to eventually end up so got my attention lol :smile:

Yeah the Nurses I have met over the last couple of months are all lovely! Will do; hopefully come Wednesday I'll be able to think about my resignation lol!

To be honest I have found that with a lot of people I have met. Especially those going on the Access course this year. Nursing seems to be a profession where people have so many different stories in how they ended up doing the job. I personally am not interested in living in Halls. I want to become a Nurse, and staying local really doesn't bother me. Plus Nottingham is a fantastic University so quite lucky to have that nearby ha ha.

You're going into Paedtriac Nursing then? I always go by the motto of never working with animals or children lol! So stuck safely with Adult Nursing. But in all fairness wanting to work in Primary Care anyway I'll have a varying age range of patients.
Reply 8
Yeah the Nurses I have met over the last couple of months are all lovely! Will do; hopefully come Wednesday I'll be able to think about my resignation lol!

To be honest I have found that with a lot of people I have met. Especially those going on the Access course this year. Nursing seems to be a profession where people have so many different stories in how they ended up doing the job. I personally am not interested in living in Halls. I want to become a Nurse, and staying local really doesn't bother me. Plus Nottingham is a fantastic University so quite lucky to have that nearby ha ha.

You're going into Paedtriac Nursing then? I always go by the motto of never working with animals or children lol! So stuck safely with Adult Nursing. But in all fairness wanting to work in Primary Care anyway I'll have a varying age range of patients.

Good luck and keep your resignation in mind :smile: lol

Yeah when I went for my access interview everyone had their own different story of how they got there it was nice listening to everyones. Same I have a family and young children so living in halls was never an option but even if I didn't it was never really an aspect that appealed to me I just really want to get on the course and do my training

Yup lol yeah I've had a few people say that to me and try to put me off but children's nursing is where my heart goes can't really explain what pulled me to children's nursing its just what I really what to do, and with you having varying age ranges with your patients and nursing as a whole the main thing I think appeals to me is no day will very be the same there will always be variation
Reply 9
Wednesday morning, so fingers crossed.

Sorry I meant to pop on here this morning to wish you good luck, how did you get on? Hope it went well

I had a phone call yesterday and I'm finally going for my induction training at the hospital Wednesday morning, once that's completed I can start booking shifts and gaining experience 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry I meant to pop on here this morning to wish you good luck, how did you get on? Hope it went well

I had a phone call yesterday and I'm finally going for my induction training at the hospital Wednesday morning, once that's completed I can start booking shifts and gaining experience 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw, so sweet of you to get in touch. Well there lies a story. The interview went really well, the staff were lovely and I was pretty hopeful. The Nurse said that they thought I was lovely and very appointable but unfortunately couldn't employ me on that ward as the Access course would be a problem for me come September and they didnt want to give me any false promises. Staff on that particularly ward would need to be able to cover a variety of shifts and I just wouldn't be able to with my studying commitments. So the Nurse I have spoke to has put out a message to see whether there is any vacancies going on other wards who will be able to accomodate me for September. I passed the pre-assessment tests and interview so my notes will be kept and I not have to go through it all again. Just fingers crossed really. But am quite disappointed at the mo, just feel so in limbo.

Thats great news for you though in finally getting the ball rolling though! I hope you really find the experiences valuable. :smile:
Hi,

I am hoping to apply for adult nursing in September 2018. I have an interview in half an hour for the Access to Nursing course that started on the 16th January. I guess someone must have dropped out. It is telephone interview but still nervous.

Failing that I will apply for Access to Nursing for August 2017.

Look fwd to speaking to you.
Reply 12
Aw, so sweet of you to get in touch. Well there lies a story. The interview went really well, the staff were lovely and I was pretty hopeful. The Nurse said that they thought I was lovely and very appointable but unfortunately couldn't employ me on that ward as the Access course would be a problem for me come September and they didnt want to give me any false promises. Staff on that particularly ward would need to be able to cover a variety of shifts and I just wouldn't be able to with my studying commitments. So the Nurse I have spoke to has put out a message to see whether there is any vacancies going on other wards who will be able to accomodate me for September. I passed the pre-assessment tests and interview so my notes will be kept and I not have to go through it all again. Just fingers crossed really. But am quite disappointed at the mo, just feel so in limbo.

Thats great news for you though in finally getting the ball rolling though! I hope you really find the experiences valuable. :smile:

Sorry thought I had already replied to you, and I've not been on much with kids being off for half term and celebrating my birthday

That's really great that everything went so well for you shame they can't accommodate you tho, fingers crossed another ward comes up for you soon have you heard anything?

Got my induction this morning excited but nervous at the same time lol x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by toonafish
Hi,

I am hoping to apply for adult nursing in September 2018. I have an interview in half an hour for the Access to Nursing course that started on the 16th January. I guess someone must have dropped out. It is telephone interview but still nervous.

Failing that I will apply for Access to Nursing for August 2017.

Look fwd to speaking to you.

Hi toonafish

Good luck how did the interview go? Hope it went well for you x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry thought I had already replied to you, and I've not been on much with kids being off for half term and celebrating my birthday

That's really great that everything went so well for you shame they can't accommodate you tho, fingers crossed another ward comes up for you soon have you heard anything?

Got my induction this morning excited but nervous at the same time lol x

Posted from TSR Mobile

All sorted now. Ive put my plans of studying the Access course on hold for the time being. The only thing that restricted me from getting the job was having set days come Sept, so I have said that that won't be the case and the Charge Nurses were very keen to have me which is lovely. The ward is Haemotlogy in Cancer and Associated Specialities (CAS) so very acute medicine, but I am looking forward to it.

I don't know what will happen now regarding my College course. I've asked the College for a timetable but they haven't drawn it up yet so cannot tell me any more info. I just know that I would've regretted not taking this opportunity which would probably not have come around again. The only thing is getting the Access course under my belt. As soon as I am in University I won't be able to work anyway due to the demands of the course. Because of this I have looked into distant learning but I just dont want to risk it. A lot of the providers just aren't reputable enough and I'd much rather be under a FE College. So don't know what will happen now in terms of my training, all I know now is that I have a good 6 months of ward experience before Sept, two offers at two seperate Colleges so will just have to wait and see.

That's fantastic! How did you get on? x
Reply 15
All sorted now. Ive put my plans of studying the Access course on hold for the time being. The only thing that restricted me from getting the job was having set days come Sept, so I have said that that won't be the case and the Charge Nurses were very keen to have me which is lovely. The ward is Haemotlogy in Cancer and Associated Specialities (CAS) so very acute medicine, but I am looking forward to it.

I don't know what will happen now regarding my College course. I've asked the College for a timetable but they haven't drawn it up yet so cannot tell me any more info. I just know that I would've regretted not taking this opportunity which would probably not have come around again. The only thing is getting the Access course under my belt. As soon as I am in University I won't be able to work anyway due to the demands of the course. Because of this I have looked into distant learning but I just dont want to risk it. A lot of the providers just aren't reputable enough and I'd much rather be under a FE College. So don't know what will happen now in terms of my training, all I know now is that I have a good 6 months of ward experience before Sept, two offers at two seperate Colleges so will just have to wait and see.

That's fantastic! How did you get on? x

Aww I think you made a good call, the experience you will gain will be amazing and like you say this opportunity might not come up again, it'll be exciting and very interesting good luck with it, with any luck when college does give you the timetable you'll be able to work it in but if not there'll be other opportunities to do it.

I have to agree with distance learning, I did a couple of modules with the open uni but had to stop cos I found it increasingly difficult not seeing someone face to face whilst doing the work but when I looked on ucas there is nowhere to add individual modules, which is why I'm now going with the access to ensure I've got what I need to get in.

Induction was alot quicker then I thought, I was told I'd be there an hour and a half but was out after half an hour, no fault on the hospital they ran through duties I'd be likely to do etc then gave me a tour of the wards and play room and gave me a day by day run down, theres not much else they can do with me until I'm in there and learn as I go along really, just got to wait now for email with details to log onto rota system then I can book shifts etc x
Aww I think you made a good call, the experience you will gain will be amazing and like you say this opportunity might not come up again, it'll be exciting and very interesting good luck with it, with any luck when college does give you the timetable you'll be able to work it in but if not there'll be other opportunities to do it.

I have to agree with distance learning, I did a couple of modules with the open uni but had to stop cos I found it increasingly difficult not seeing someone face to face whilst doing the work but when I looked on ucas there is nowhere to add individual modules, which is why I'm now going with the access to ensure I've got what I need to get in.

Induction was alot quicker then I thought, I was told I'd be there an hour and a half but was out after half an hour, no fault on the hospital they ran through duties I'd be likely to do etc then gave me a tour of the wards and play room and gave me a day by day run down, theres not much else they can do with me until I'm in there and learn as I go along really, just got to wait now for email with details to log onto rota system then I can book shifts etc x

Thank you for your reassurance; its really appreciated! As I'm waiting for all the checks and references to clear I do worry that it will all work out in the end lol.

I'm glad that everything has worked out for you. I know exactly what you mean about building yourself up for a longer induction and then when you get there it being quite simple! This will be good experience for you. When I was at the interview for the Access course at one of my local College the Tutor said then that the people who didn't have any experience by that point should be looking out to gaining some as it will be helpful for future University applications. x
Reply 17
Thank you for your reassurance; its really appreciated! As I'm waiting for all the checks and references to clear I do worry that it will all work out in the end lol.

I'm glad that everything has worked out for you. I know exactly what you mean about building yourself up for a longer induction and then when you get there it being quite simple! This will be good experience for you. When I was at the interview for the Access course at one of my local College the Tutor said then that the people who didn't have any experience by that point should be looking out to gaining some as it will be helpful for future University applications. x

Hi Amy, sorry for not replying sooner I've not been feeling too great so not been online much

I'm sure it'll all be ok for you they clearly want you :smile: have you heard anymore about the references/checks etc?

Yeah the tutor who interviewed us for the access said the exact same thing its just so difficult to gain experience so I feel grateful I have gained this opportunity

How are you?
Hi Amy, sorry for not replying sooner I've not been feeling too great so not been online much

I'm sure it'll all be ok for you they clearly want you :smile: have you heard anymore about the references/checks etc?

Yeah the tutor who interviewed us for the access said the exact same thing its just so difficult to gain experience so I feel grateful I have gained this opportunity

How are you?

Hiya!

I've been so busy this last week or so I didn't even realise that you hadn't replied lol! Everything has (thankfully) been sorted.Got a uniform fitting next week, also an appointment booked for my immunisations. Received a Welcome Pack at the weekend, just waiting on my start date now. I finish my current job on the 27th so it's all systems go.

The references were an absolute nightmare!? My current Manager doesn't provide a substantial character reference out of courtesy so simply supplies the dates you started and finished, and your sickness rates. So I have had to chase up people who I knew and worked with 5 years ago to provide a more substantial reference. I felt like I have just been constantly emailing and ringing people for days on end. Thank god that the worst bit is all done. Even a Nurse who I have been in contact with said that the Trust makes the pre-employment checks and references such a lengthy process. So other than that, I'm really well at the moment. Work is hard, but that is why I am leaving. Just can't wait to get started in my new job.

How are things with you? :-)
Reply 19
Hiya!

I've been so busy this last week or so I didn't even realise that you hadn't replied lol! Everything has (thankfully) been sorted.Got a uniform fitting next week, also an appointment booked for my immunisations. Received a Welcome Pack at the weekend, just waiting on my start date now. I finish my current job on the 27th so it's all systems go.

The references were an absolute nightmare!? My current Manager doesn't provide a substantial character reference out of courtesy so simply supplies the dates you started and finished, and your sickness rates. So I have had to chase up people who I knew and worked with 5 years ago to provide a more substantial reference. I felt like I have just been constantly emailing and ringing people for days on end. Thank god that the worst bit is all done. Even a Nurse who I have been in contact with said that the Trust makes the pre-employment checks and references such a lengthy process. So other than that, I'm really well at the moment. Work is hard, but that is why I am leaving. Just can't wait to get started in my new job.

How are things with you? :-)

Oh what a nightmare that must have been for you, but on the upside at least you've done it now and you're all set to go :smile: must feel exciting now you're nearly there :smile:

Things are good here thanks not feeling too great I haven't started volunteering but hoping to get started soon, just waiting for Sept eager to get started on the access now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending