The Student Room Group

Will I be elegible? Lived abroad for over 2 years. Long post.

Hello, my question is, will I be elegible, warning this is long.

I was born in the UK in July 1993 and lived here since I was 21, I applied for a student loan to go to City university london which was a 4 year course involving a foudnation year. I passed the foundation year. I chose Biomedical engineering and because I wanted to go to a good university and London is well known as having renowned universities, I went to City. It was expensive and I struggled financially. I lost hope and quit after I finished foundation.

I got a job with my mother (can provide evidence) and worked from August to December 2015 (now aged 22), I resigned from my job a day before christmas or around that time and flew to Thailand to live with my family and do my citizenship as my mum liked me to connect with family over there because the lifestyle is cheaper.

I lived here since because of financial reasons in the UK: Dad lost house and parents divorce caused financial more issues. I lived with my girlfriend, eventually got my Thai citizenship because I am half Thai from my mothers side so I could stay there and decide my future. Another reason was because of family issues, I needed to get out really and just take a break with family in Thailand.

Because I got a document (e-passport) from the Thai embassy to enter Thailand as a legal citizen without a passport, the document was valid for 10 days and I needed to enter within those 10 days.

To legally get my Thai id and passport, my mother had to come to Thailand to prove my identity as her son and of Thai blood. Because she was not here, the government office refused to give me id. This essentially means that I entered Thailand with out any way of leaving. I entered Thailand as a Thai and I need to leave as a Thai and for that I need a passport, to get that passport my mother needs to have an interview at the office and sign some documents. I can prove my documents about this from the issue dates:

ID card: 15 March 2016
Thai passport: 30th Jan 2017

Stuck and having no idea when my mum can come to Thailand to sign my documents, I decided to study at a thai university in the second semester which started January, which I paid for myself and with help from a few family members. From the 1st year and I still struggled financially (Thai baht went down badly, parents went to court over the house on who gets what which made life more harder), I couldn't find a job and my parents were struggling even more with debt (mum gambled and lost, borowed money from credit companies and now has more debt, can provide evidence). I quit after that first year. The debt revelation of how much my parents owe really crushed me.

Now June 2016 and unversity's 2nd semester is finished, I worked part time after I quit the 2nd semester of the first year, I worked as a private teacher.

My mum eventually came to Thailand around late February which meant progress on my citizenship could continue. We did the interview and passed finally. I did my id card and now fully a dual national. The ID card was issued on the 15th March 2016 I can provide evidence.

But another issue rose. As a male and legal Thai citizen, I am by law have to register for conscription or I could go to prison. However this was solved a week or 2 late on grounds of being born in the UK and being mixed race, don't have evidence about this as I was told by the government officer. I do not need to join.

After a 2 year experience of financial hardship once more, I realised I made a mistake coming here. I loved my experience and spending time with family but I would love to finish my education in the UK.

Come June, I moved up north with my girlfriend and worked part-time as a teacher once more, I am currently there now. I completed UCAS, got accepted at my choices and ready for the student finance to open. But I am really concerned about my elegibillity. I can not go to higher education at all without assistance, my family definitely can not fund me.

I finally got my Thai passport on the 30th Jan 2017. Can provide evidence as well and now waiting to get a ticket to return around April this year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi

You would not be eligible for Student Finance. UK nationals must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course.

Thanks
Reply 2
Original post by Anne SFE
Hi

You would not be eligible for Student Finance. UK nationals must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course.

Thanks

But I didn't have a choice? I was held back by legal reasons.
Hi there,

You will still be ineligible, unfortunately. You could, however, make an application. It will be rejected, but you can Appeal the decision, although there's no guarantee of success.

Thanks.
Reply 4
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

You will still be ineligible, unfortunately. You could, however, make an application. It will be rejected, but you can Appeal the decision, although there's no guarantee of success.

Thanks.

But SFE has already funded my first of a 4 year course in the UK. I finished foundation year at City University London. Doesn't SFE offer funding up to 3 years plus a bonus year?

So should I go through the normal channels for applying SFE and when declined, I appeal and explain throughly why I believe SFE was wrong in not allowing me access the higher education funding?

I can not afford higher education at all and and neither can my family. Higher education would be impossible for me without SFE. I can provide plenty of evidence that my family is in debt.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi skoomafish

I would advise you to call us if you have already been awarded funding so we can look into this further for you: 0300 100 0607

You must have had an eligible application to start the foundation year.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending