The Student Room Group

How is everyone finding the new 9-1 Maths GCSE

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shivamisalegend
Thank you so much! 😀 Do you have the cgp textbook for igcse and gcse?

Np. Just for GCSE.
Original post by CoffeeGeek
Np. Just for GCSE.

What's the main priority or révision source you use the most meaning which is the main textbook or website you use to get an 8. Can you tell me name please?
Thanks
Original post by catchthe1z
What's the main priority or révision source you use the most meaning which is the main textbook or website you use to get an 8. Can you tell me name please?
Thanks

I use many, I don't stick to one revision source because that's never effective for me.
Original post by CoffeeGeek
I use many, I don't stick to one revision source because that's never effective for me.

thanks
Reply 144
Hi, I'm in year 10 and was wondering whether anyone found an extreme difference between the maths in year 9 and the maths in year 10.

I used to get nearly top marks in all of my maths exams and now I'm lucky if I can get 20/50 on a maths test.

Is this just because of the new GCSEs or have I suddenly just become bad at maths? To revise I use mathswatch and the CGP revision guide as I'm with edexcel.

Also, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for year 11? I'm kind of scared because maths went from being one of my best subjects to one of my worst. I still like it as a subject but am suddenly doing very badly at it.
Original post by R_S30
Hi, I'm in year 10 and was wondering whether anyone found an extreme difference between the maths in year 9 and the maths in year 10.

I used to get nearly top marks in all of my maths exams and now I'm lucky if I can get 20/50 on a maths test.

Is this just because of the new GCSEs or have I suddenly just become bad at maths? To revise I use mathswatch and the CGP revision guide as I'm with edexcel.

Also, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for year 11? I'm kind of scared because maths went from being one of my best subjects to one of my worst. I still like it as a subject but am suddenly doing very badly at it.

It's probably because the difficulty of the work has increased it you're still doing the same amount of work at home (which may well be 0 work except homework). You have to go home and actually look at the work and practice.
To be honest the work up to GCSE's is so easy that kids who were always good at maths can do it no problems.
Reply 146
Original post by B_9710
It's probably because the difficulty of the work has increased it you're still doing the same amount of work at home (which may well be 0 work except homework). You have to go home and actually look at the work and practice.
To be honest the work up to GCSE's is so easy that kids who were always good at maths can do it no problems.

How much revision would you recommend I did per week? I've got mocks at the end of this year which are going to decide which tiers we'll be in next year, and to stay in top set we have to be in the top 24 of our year, which is why I'm so nervous.
Original post by Quizlet
Most people in my school got less than 100/240, only because in January we weren't taught the whole spec.
I self learned the whole specification, did lots of past paper questions, lots of revision and went through absolutely everything, that's how I got a 9. (It's perfectly possible, I was predicted a 6 before my mocks...)

Hey Quizlet, what exam board are you doing ?
also you in yr11 or yr10
Original post by peeked
Hey Quizlet, what exam board are you doing ?
also you in yr11 or yr10

AQA 8300 spec, Year 11 :smile:
Original post by _b_e_n_
got a 5 in the mocks... need a 6 in the real thing or i'm screwed :frown:

I got a 2 in the mocks, i'm screwed too.
I am finding the new GCSEs difficult. I got a 2 in maths, I try to revise as much as I can and I have a tutor too. Nothing seems to be working.
Reply 151
The trigonometry is driving me mad. I also have a tutor which doesn't seem to be helping. I can just never figure out which side the hypotenuse, opposite and adjacent is.
Original post by R_S30
The trigonometry is driving me mad. I also have a tutor which doesn't seem to be helping. I can just never figure out which side the hypotenuse, opposite and adjacent is.

The hypotenuse is always the longest side of a right-angled triangle - just look at the side opposite of the actual 90 degree angle.

Then adjacent/opposite sides depend on which of the two other angles you are looking at. Pick one of them, and the side that is touching it (other than the hypotenuse) is the adjacent side, and the side opposite of the angle you picked is, well, the opposite side.

Simples.
Reply 153
Original post by RDKGames
The hypotenuse is always the longest side of a right-angled triangle - just look at the side opposite of the actual 90 degree angle.

Then adjacent/opposite sides depend on which of the two other angles you are looking at. Pick one of them, and the side that is touching it (other than the hypotenuse) is the adjacent side, and the side opposite of the angle you picked is, well, the opposite side.

Simples.

Thank you. I'm practising to get the hang of it but I always end up with the wrong answer because of choosing the wrong formula. I know what SOHCAHTOA is but I get confused on when to use it.
Original post by IQlizard
Wondering how people are finding the mocks that they might have done by PiXL. I'm currently finding this Maths GCSE to be unexpectedly difficult and for the old syllabus I feel A* would have been all too easy but as of now I am on target for a level 7a going from our PiXl mock exams. How is everyone else finding it?:bricks:

I found Maths A very comprehensively easy subject, and i thought i could easily get an a star till this hard specification was enforced on me suddently. Now i m struggling to even get an A in the paper, which basically a 7
Reply 155
Edexcel system has to improvise with us on lower grade boundaries or else majority of my class atleast will get a 3 or a 4 maximum, why you do this edexcel😢
Original post by MLH789
Edexcel system has to improvise with us on lower grade boundaries or else majority of my class atleast will get a 3 or a 4 maximum, why you do this edexcel😢

Edexcel did not do this to you.
The government required all GCSE examiners to make changes to the content of the specifications, to modify the style and difficulty of some questions and to introduce a new grading system. Everyone is facing the same challenges and the final distribution of grades will be exactly the same as it would have been on the old specification. Just get on with revision, do your best and you will get the grade that your maths skills deserve.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My school is finding them incredibly hard, used to get at least 80/100 on the old ocr papers but now I'm barely scraping 6's. So worried as I want to study law but i'm afraid that my maths grades will lower my chances. Averaging at 9's in English but 5's and 6's in maths - how is maths so hard????
I'm finding it extremely hard too. After not having a consistent maths teacher from the start of year 11 to about February we have missed a lot of things out the syllabus and our whole class is underperforming. I got a grade 5 in my mocks, predicted a 7... I literally knew barely anything in the mock, I was looking at the questions completely clueless. Just hoping the grade boundaries are going to be extremely low....
I got a 9 guys
for the PiXl curve papers

Quick Reply

Latest