The Student Room Group

Change A Level choices

I'm currently in year 11, and have recieved a letter that next week, I have an interview for a college I want to go to.

I applied to take CompSci, maths and biology. But my father wants me to do something medicine related in the future, and wants me to change it to maths, biology and chemistry.

Computer science is the only subject which i'm actually good at, and it's what I enjoy the most.

Is it possible to change A Level subjects once you've applied for them?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Yes, it is possible to change them even on the day of your enrolment in August.

Please, do not change your subjects just because your father wants you to do something else. If you want to do computer science, do computer science, not medicine.

Besides, you already have enough science subjects to apply to medicine-related subjects, so tell your father that and stick with what you want to do.
Original post by Michiyo
Yes, it is possible to change them even on the day of your enrolment in August.

Please, do not change your subjects just because your father wants you to do something else. If you want to do computer science, do computer science, not medicine.

Besides, you already have enough science subjects to apply to medicine-related subjects, so tell your father that and stick with what you want to do.

So with only just biology and maths you can apply to something medicine related?
Reply 3
Original post by Cynoscephalae
So with only just biology and maths you can apply to something medicine related?

Most medicine-related courses only ask for Biology and one other science. You have maths. For medicine, that may not be enough, but for something medicine-related (e. g. Biomedical Science), it is good. Of course, the combination your father presented you is preferred to yours for medicine and medicine-related subjects, but if you do not want to do medicine, just take the subjects you want, say they are enough to your father in order to pacify him, and then apply to what YOU want, not to what he wants.
Reply 4

As far as I am aware for most universities you need chemistry to do medicine. But if just medicine related I don't know if this would be a problem.
I'm currently in year 11, and have recieved a letter that next week, I have an interview for a college I want to go to.

I applied to take CompSci, maths and biology. But my father wants me to do something medicine related in the future, and wants me to change it to maths, biology and chemistry.

Computer science is the only subject which i'm actually good at, and it's what I enjoy the most.

Is it possible to change A Level subjects once you've applied for them?

Or you can do Biology Chemistry CompSci that is a good mix for medicine related subjects Chemistry opens the doors to alot of degrees medicine related, Biology gets you into quite a few but Chemistry is the basis of most medicine degrees which is why they ask for it.

Medicine itself asks for Chemistry specifically then Biology prioritywise.
to apply for medicine you NEED chemistry, if your thinking about a career in either computer science or medicine i would recommend taking maths, chemistry and computer science. Biology is important for medicine careers but chemistry is the key. You won't find many universities allowing you to do medicine without chemistry.
Original post by bobwibbles
Or you can do Biology Chemistry CompSci that is a good mix for medicine related subjects Chemistry opens the doors to alot of degrees medicine related, Biology gets you into quite a few but Chemistry is the basis of most medicine degrees which is why they ask for it.

Medicine itself asks for Chemistry specifically then Biology prioritywise.

I want to be kept open to both CompSci and Medicine related subjects in uni. Programming is easy to learn and i'm already doing it for GCSEs. I want to do maths over CompSci mainly because of the maths needed for a CompSci degree, and universities favour maths over CompSci.
Don't change your A Levels because of your dad wants you to go into medicine - you'll end up hating ur A Levels if it's not a subject area you're interested in. Stick with your original 3 !!!!!!!
I want to be kept open to both CompSci and Medicine related subjects in uni. Programming is easy to learn and i'm already doing it for GCSEs. I want to do maths over CompSci mainly because of the maths needed for a CompSci degree, and universities favour maths over CompSci.

Then change to Maths Biology Chemistry lol. Everything you stated is true. If thats what you want, the best for you is to swap your compsci to stay open to medicine/computer science degrees.

I too did GCSE computing it was fun I guess lool.

Quick Reply

Latest