The Student Room Group

***** UKIP are expected to WIN the Stoke-Central By-election!! ******

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .A_C.
HA! I can definitely agree, I have been reading news articles about it every day for the past few weeks.

I'm not staying up for it tho, it's too late when I have to be up at crack of dawn. But my phone will be out as soon as my eyes open.

It will be interesting to see the stats/psephology of the results. I really hope there is a big swing from Lab --> UKIP like there was in Richmond Park from Various Parties ----> LIB DEM.

However, I have a weird feeling of doubt if the swing will be enough.

I think it's accurate to say that CON will GAIN from LAB in COPE tho.

People think just because Stoke has been held for half a century, it will be held for eternity. Times have changed...

Just take a look at Dundee West (I posted this link on the 1st or 2nd page but I'm posting it again for reference sake..) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundee_West_(UK_Parliament_constituency) where LAB held since 1950 until 2015 when SNP GAIN from LAB. LAB got absolutely wiped out.

Maybe the same will happen in Stoke tomorrow morning?

Must admit i've been been keeping a close eye, interesting to see Tory confidence for a closer second in Stoke.

My plan is to go to bed early (ish) so that i can watch an hour or two's repeat once i wake up.
Reading the comment sections and various links, this chart here is one of the best explanations of why the Tories are going to win Copeland in which 56% of voters are C2DE..

https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/800/0*m0Tl7MT7y8JkLryu.
Original post by Rakas21
Reading the comment sections and various links, this chart here is one of the best explanations of why the Tories are going to win Copeland in which 56% of voters are C2DE..

https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/800/0*m0Tl7MT7y8JkLryu.

Link appears to be broken.
Original post by Saoirse:3
Link appears to be broken.

Rats. It basically shows the support for the parties over the past 2 years in the C2DE group. The Tories slowly climb, Laboour's drops like a stone.
David Dimbleby has just said on QT that he has information suggesting Labour are most likely to win.
Original post by Count Bezukhov
David Dimbleby has just said on QT that he has information suggesting Labour are most likely to win.

Bookies implied a 68% chance for them before the polls closed.

The question is by how much (speculation from comments is that its low) and who will be second (Tories are not unhappy).

Imagine if Labour only hold Stoke by say 500 votes.. but from the Tories.
Original post by Rakas21
Bookies implied a 68% chance for them before the polls closed.

The question is by how much (speculation from comments is that its low) and who will be second (Tories are not unhappy).

Imagine if Labour only hold Stoke by say 500 votes.. but from the Tories.
I haven't been paying too much attention to voting attitudes pre-election, but I am looking forward to seeing them once released!

I think the plurality will be slim. The area is highly Leave-voting too, so I imagine UKIP will have done fairly well (especially as Comrade Corbyn is no longer representative of the traditional Labour voter, many voters will have defected).

Do you think the Tories will have done that well? May's tough stance on immigration will likely be seen as favourable, but whether it will be enough to attract large numbers of voters across is unclear. If they do manage to come second place overall though, that's very impressive given how traditionally Labour the area has been (and bodes well for May going into the 2020 election if Brexit negotiations go well enough).
UKIP could definitely do it which I will now explain.

Their vote has been increasing incrementally thoughout previous votes, not winning would be a failure for them.

Tristham should of never been the MP, a posh southerner doesn't play well with a clearly working class seat. At least UKIP generally field candidates which appeal and resonate with their voters. Typically a white old working class man who has a mail order bride to prove that their not racist.
Faisal Islam reporting that Stoke turnout is 38%. That's higher than expected but still relatively low so probably perfect for Labour (low enough that there's no army coming to massacre them, high enough that their voters turned out).
Copeland turnout is 51.4%.. Copeland is blue.
Apprently Copeland had 9k postal votes, which could easily be 1/3 of all votes cast.
if they win Corbs has to resign
Reports suggest UKIP may be doing as badly as coming 3rd in Stoke and 4th in Copeland - behind the Liberal Democrats.
Original post by Saoirse:3
Reports suggest UKIP may be doing as badly as coming 3rd in Stoke and 4th in Copeland - behind the Liberal Democrats.

Yea they are finished as a potential seat winning force.

Yea they may get the third highest amount of overall votes in the country but nothing more than that

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a shame UKIP didn't win but never mind.
It is what it is. Democracy is democracy. The Stoke public made their choice.
Original post by Naveed-7
It's a shame UKIP didn't win but never mind.
It is what it is. Democracy is democracy. The Stoke public made their choice.

Well, most of them made the choice that it was cold, windy and wet and the Spurs game was on the TV.
Original post by nulli tertius
Well, most of them made the choice that it was cold, windy and wet and the Spurs game was on the TV.

Well we will never know how the weather affected the result however if ukip was going to win a seat post referendum it was going to be a seat like this.

The vote is now splitting off to the conservatives meaning they won't win seats

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Original post by paul514
Well we will never know how the weather affected the result however if ukip was going to win a seat post referendum it was going to be a seat like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the weather played a big factor in both by-elections. I think all the controversy surrounding Paul was very damaging too, which is why I felt a spell of doubt last night..

And you are certainly right that CON will take the UKIP vote next time round in 2020, unless they get their act together which seems too late at this point.

Ah well, I lost a mere £10.00 on UKIP
Original post by paul514

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think UKIP are a dead duck.

A significant thing, which confirms council by-election trends, is that the Liberals are back in business. This wasn't a promising seat for them. but they added 800 votes on 2015 with the same candidate on a much reduced turnout.

Apart from the Liberal showing, this was May's ideal result. There is enough in this for Corbyn to keep him in office, Nuttall is shown as a loser and almost a tie for second with little effort.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending