The Student Room Group

***** UKIP are expected to WIN the Stoke-Central By-election!! ******

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by L i b
Doubt it. England's not really in the same scale in terms of post-referendum mentalness as Scotland. But above all, the chief distinction is that everyone knew for years ahead of the actual election that Labour would get absolutely buggered in Dundee the next time an election came about. That's not the same here.

I was pondering over your comment last night, you were absolutely right on the money.. But let's be honest, LAB are still in an uncomfortable position as other seats could go to the CON.

The CON were the real winners today, UKIP are good at being 2nd and LAB are not very good at holding onto traditional 'safe seats' anymore.

It's a real shame with UKIP tho. It seems the EU ref doesn't have as big of an impact like the Scottish one up here.
Reply 101
Original post by Polka_Specs
UKIP could definitely do it which I will now explain.

Their vote has been increasing incrementally thoughout previous votes, not winning would be a failure for them.

Tristham should of never been the MP, a posh southerner doesn't play well with a clearly working class seat. At least UKIP generally field candidates which appeal and resonate with their voters. Typically a white old working class man who has a mail order bride to prove that their not racist.

Unfortunately, damaging comments and the weather didn't get the 'kippers to come out in force. Turnout was low. The gap closed between UKIP and LAB much more tightly than last time round tho.

I still think the message that UKIP portray resonates across the UK. They are too good at being 2nd and perhaps don't seem too big of a threat to LAB after all... But UKIP still made their fingertips water - which is what we need.
Original post by .A_C.
Ah well, I lost a mere £10.00 on UKIP

Not to me, sadly. Not one of the Kippers here was prepared to put their money where their leader's mouth was.*

If they cannot win Stoke - starting from second place in a very 'Leave' constituency, with the Tories barely bothering to campaign there - where can they win?

I hope that the BBC start treating them like the Greens: a very minor party to talk about once a year.

* Singing as one of The Beatles, probably...
Reply 103
Original post by Rakas21
:biggrin:

Only 24 hours or so until the polls close in Copeland and Stoke.

Who's excited to see the Tories crush Labour in Copeland. :tongue:

It was a surprise, but not shocking - it's crystal clear the tories will win 2020 with an absolute majority, perhaps even gaining quite a few seats form LLAB.

Original post by Davij038
Same lol

I'm more interested in what the wider consequences will be RE ukips and Corbyns future. Definitely a pivotal monent

It's definitely more damaging for LAB then UKIP, that's for sure! Unfortunately, the message here is the CON are now a formidable force in UK politics, making GAINS from traditional 'safe seats'.

I wonder if the CON will retake some 'traditional' seats up here in Scotland? I hope so...
Reply 104
Original post by unprinted
Not to me, sadly. Not one of the Kippers here was prepared to put their money where their leader's mouth was.*

If they cannot win Stoke - starting from second place in a very 'Leave' constituency, with the Tories barely bothering to campaign there - where can they win?

I hope that the BBC start treating them like the Greens: a very minor party to talk about once a year.

* Singing as one of The Beatles, probably...

HA! I should have singed you a (unprinted) check to your 'Ladbrokes' :wink:

I know, it is terrible that UKIP cannot even make ground in easily winnable areas. The future is pretty bleak for the party unfortunately.

I wonder if they can even hold onto Clacton next time round? We will just end up seeing a huge tory dominance tbh...
Paul Nuttall can now return to his old job of playing for Manchester United. Or if that's no longer available, he can return to being an astronaut, he hasn't yet been to Mars.
Original post by Polka_Specs

Their vote has been increasing incrementally thoughout previous votes, not winning would be a failure for them.

:yep:

:teehee:
Reply 107
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Paul Nuttall can now return to his old job of playing for Manchester United. Or if that's no longer available, he can return to being an astronaut, he hasn't yet been to Mars.

Don't be stupid, how could he ever play for Manchester United? He's been far too busy curing cancer, no doubt he'll be off to collect something in Stockholm
Original post by Aj12
Don't be stupid, how could he ever play for Manchester United? He's been far too busy curing cancer, no doubt he'll be off to collect something in Stockholm

True, true. Anyway, he has been asked by China to sort out climate change, so he will be busy with that for a while, then off to the Atlantic to solve the mystery of the Marie Celeste.
Pretty happy with the result- very damaging for Labour and the kippers with good performances for the Tories and Libs.

Maybe ukip can start shutting up about being the voice of the people and Corbyn will have to start taking responsibility sooner or later instead of blaming the establishment
True, true. Anyway, he has been asked by China to sort out climate change, so he will be busy with that for a while, then off to the Atlantic to solve the mystery of the Marie Celeste.

The Marie Celeste was solved lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
The Marie Celeste was solved lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Paul Nuttall knows better.
Paul Nuttall knows better.

😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 113

Presumably he'll sort things out with China by just telling them that climate change doesn't exist, since UKIP have been denying it since at least 2005. :p:
people are now looking at ukip and asking themselves what they bring to the picnic that Mrs May's Conservatives haven't already provided.
the answer seems to be the less savoury items on the patriotic menu.
Original post by the bear
people are now looking at ukip and asking themselves what they bring to the picnic that Mrs May's Conservatives haven't already provided.

I think it's mostly down to the eu personally.

There was a lot of ukip voters who have got the vote they wanted and have heard the right noises on negotiations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
I think it's mostly down to the eu personally.

There was a lot of ukip voters who have got the vote they wanted and have heard the right noises on negotiations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

tbh there is not much point to ukip now. it is like the suffragette parties after women were given the vote.
Original post by the bear

It's also clear from the contrast in Stoke and Copeland that Ukip voters are much less loyal and willing to switch votes than Conservative voters.
Apparently Nigel Farage can't leave his house due to facin' all the hatin'.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-frightened-leave-home-liberal-media-piers-morgan-ukip-demonised-prisoner-a7597161.html

Someone call a waambulance.
Reply 119
Original post by Rakas21
It's also clear from the contrast in Stoke and Copeland that Ukip voters are much less loyal and willing to switch votes than Conservative voters.

Unsurprising really. Big parties tend to attract territorial voters, who will stubbornly vote for "their" party at every election regardless of the current political situation. Fringe parties like UKIP need to rely far more on floating/undecided voters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending