The Student Room Group

Parent refuses to disclose income for student finance application

My dad refuses to give me the details about his annual income or any of the information I need from parents when it's required in the process of applying for maintenance loans. It's because he is against me going to university because of his beliefs and he has said if it means it causes problems for me then thats just too bad I have to deal with it. I only know my mom's annual income and because she works part time it's below 10k.

I dont know what to do, I feel completely stuck and I received the email about applications for finance being open now and it's making me panic.

If you have any advice I'd be beyond grateful
Reply 1
Contact SFE. They'll probably be able to contact HMRC/Tax Office directly to find out his incomd
Maybe give student finance a ring, explain the situation and see what they can do?
Reply 3
Original post by JooW
Contact SFE. They'll probably be able to contact HMRC/Tax Office directly to find out his incomd

I will, thank you
Original post by lrumgay1
I will, thank you

that might come under breaking data protection acts so it's unlikely, if you've tried approaching your dad and he won't budge then it looks you'll have to apply with their details get the minimum loan and get a part time job. Unless you get married or completely cut contact and move out for 12 months.
besides contacting SFE then my understanding si what Claire said you will get min maintenance loan. There is the option of estrangement or independence, but it doesnt appear to apply to you. They cant force him. That means you dont have enough money. Imo that means a gap year or two in which you save and go later. It would be really dull to be constantly scarping for money below average student income. Doesnt sound like you have any chance of changing his mind.
Original post by JooW

Student finance work on the assumption that your parents will pick up the tab for whatever they don't give you. If they're having to contact the tax office that says to SFE that he isn't prepared to help and he can't be forced to do so.
I'm pretty certain SFE has a section explaining if there's problems getting a parent's income information.

If you cant get it and will get less money because of it, I'd advise have a year of work and saving. Breaking up mid uni years isn't good for the flow of things, and all the friends you make on your course will be moving on before you leave too.

Why won't he give you information? Is he a hardcore drug dealer? Money Launderer? Hates the idea of further education and instead wants you to inherit his B&B?
My dad refuses to give me the details about his annual income or any of the information I need from parents when it's required in the process of applying for maintenance loans. It's because he is against me going to university because of his beliefs and he has said if it means it causes problems for me then thats just too bad I have to deal with it. I only know my mom's annual income and because she works part time it's below 10k.

I dont know what to do, I feel completely stuck and I received the email about applications for finance being open now and it's making me panic.

If you have any advice I'd be beyond grateful

I'd speak to your mum and see if she's willing to help you in convincing your dad.

Get your parts completed ASAP - the financial assessment happens after the initial assessment anyway so you've got time to either work on convincing your dad or saving up money. The maximum contribution that SFE expect from your parents is around £2,500pa
Reply 9
Original post by JoshDawg

Why won't he give you information? Is he a hardcore drug dealer? Money Launderer? Hates the idea of further education and instead wants you to inherit his B&B?

Someone was in a savage mood yesterday
Original post by JooW

I will, thank you

That's terrible advice.

SFE check all income with HMRC but they need permission from the data subject to use that information. If a parent refuses to support an application then the only thing you could do is either be content with getting the basic funding or apply for independent status (if you are estranged from your parents and don't have contact, or if you have self supported for the past 3 years etc)
Reply 11
Original post by murpo
That's terrible advice.

SFE check all income with HMRC but they need permission from the data subject to use that information. If a parent refuses to support an application then the only thing you could do is either be content with getting the basic funding or apply for independent status (if you are estranged from your parents and don't have contact, or if you have self supported for the past 3 years etc)

Says my advice is terrible; provides literally no other alternative to question. Bravo
Reply 12
Original post by JooW
Says my advice is terrible; provides literally no other alternative to question. Bravo

I'm afraid that's because there isn't one. If a parent refuses to provide their financial info, that's the end of the matter. The applicant will either have to accept the minimum Maintenance Loan and find a way of topping it up, or wait until they're 25 and can be assessed for SF based on their own income.

Your suggestion that SF can liaise with HMRC to get the info without the parent's input or agreement, is indeed wrong. They cannot and won't.
Reply 13
Original post by Klix88
I'm afraid that's because there isn't one. If a parent refuses to provide their financial info, that's the end of the matter. The applicant will either have to accept the minimum Maintenance Loan and find a way of topping it up, or wait until they're 25 and can be assessed for SF based on their own income.

Your suggestion that SF can liaise with HMRC to get the info without the parent's input or agreement, is indeed wrong. They cannot and won't.

How cruel! :frown:.

Latest

Trending

Trending