UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

BA Fine Art (UAL)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by colourwheel123
Yeah, but they lack a dark room, but I heard that you might get access to Camberwell's. The other facilities are nice though. What do you think of the studio space and how the course is structured? Where is your top choice?

That's true and yeah maybe I'm sure there's a way around it! Studio space was good but I did feel with a lot of London unis space is quite limited, it's almost like you have to get the good spaces as quick as you can and you're not gauranteed one. But again, I feel like that's something that can be sorted out once you're there. The course structure I really like. I'm currently studying a foundation degree and it's very similar in that sense. At the open day they mentioned that first year and in fact throughout the degree it's all very experimental and it's not so much about final products, which I like. I like how also you have the option to present your dissertation through a PowerPoint rather than word format. I honestly don't have a top choice, I've kept a very open mind through the process because I'm seeing how the interviews go for every uni and what they can offer. What about you?
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 41
Does anyone know how many people get through to the interview stage?
Reply 42
Original post by sdavid
Aw yay! And yeah I have been watching their YouTube videos about portfolios a lot recently lol they're very helpful but I guess I just wanted to know the kinds of questions they could ask. And yeah of course! I'll reply on here about what they asked and how it went overall! Apparently they can be very brutal sometimes so we will wait and see.

And oh no, you should definitely try to get down to London and attend I think. I know it's very far but they rarely reschedule interviews! How far is it on a train for you? 😊

It's about 4 hours but I would need to travel there and back on the same day due to work, I'll just have too see. Good luck 😊
Reply 43
Original post by ntrxx
It's about 4 hours but I would need to travel there and back on the same day due to work, I'll just have too see. Good luck 😊

Ah okay and yeah that is a long journey there and back! Thank you! And I hope that it works out for you too😊
Reply 44
Original post by dandyday
Does anyone know how many people get through to the interview stage?

Not many people get through because they have so many people applying but it's still so worth the try!
Original post by sdavid
That's true and yeah maybe I'm sure there's a way around it! Studio space was good but I did feel with a lot of London unis space is quite limited, it's almost like you have to get the good spaces as quick as you can and you're not gauranteed one. But again, I feel like that's something that can be sorted out once you're there. The course structure I really like. I'm currently studying a foundation degree and it's very similar in that sense. At the open day they mentioned that first year and in fact throughout the degree it's all very experimental and it's not so much about final products, which I like. I like how also you have the option to present your dissertation through a PowerPoint rather than word format. I honestly don't have a top choice, I've kept a very open mind through the process because I'm seeing how the interviews go for every uni and what they can offer. What about you?

Oh wow, you don't get a dedicated studio space? I've applied for Chelsea, GSA, Slade and Goldsmiths. Similarly like you, I am trying to keep an open mind, but I do really like how Goldsmiths is non-medium specific, there's a joint hon program with the history of art, the facilities and how you are given a space immediately.
Reply 46
Oh wow, you don't get a dedicated studio space? I've applied for Chelsea, GSA, Slade and Goldsmiths. Similarly like you, I am trying to keep an open mind, but I do really like how Goldsmiths is non-medium specific, there's a joint hon program with the history of art, the facilities and how you are given a space immediately.

No I don't believe so, however if you have an interview that's definitely a question to bring up and ask them. Yeah that does sound cool but I also felt that goldsmith has a very formal and non artsy vibe to it? Maybe that's just me. With any UAL they do teach you contextual studies to aid your practice like in my foundation degree we used to get regular lectures on the history of art. If that's something you're interested in. But yeah these are things you can ask the unis too or the ambassadors there.
Reply 47

Did you get interviews for all the other unis? My friend just got rejected from Slade, and her work was great so I'm wondering why lol
Original post by sdavid
Did you get interviews for all the other unis? My friend just got rejected from Slade, and her work was great so I'm wondering why lol

Not having a personal studio space sounds terrible tbh, especially when you are paying that much school fees + living costs in London.

I had my interview with GSA. Chelsea is happening soon. Slade the week after. Goldsmiths would only get back to us by the end of the month I think. What about yourself?

Sorry to hear bout your friend's rejection. :frown: I guess with art school is less about how "good" a person's work is, but how they would fit in the school and how they might proliferate in that structure. It seems more like a dynamics thing.
Reply 49
Not having a personal studio space sounds terrible tbh, especially when you are paying that much school fees + living costs in London.

I had my interview with GSA. Chelsea is happening soon. Slade the week after. Goldsmiths would only get back to us by the end of the month I think. What about yourself?

Sorry to hear bout your friend's rejection. :frown: I guess with art school is less about how "good" a person's work is, but how they would fit in the school and how they might proliferate in that structure. It seems more like a dynamics thing.

I completely agree, I think that's why I haven't said it's a first choice because there are so many cons to studying in London. But I know I'll be getting a good education at the end of the day and I guess that's what matters the most.

How did the interview go? That's great that they've all given you interviews though, hope it all goes well!! 😊

And yeah I think you're right I think every uni has a 'type'. Yeah she's also waiting on goldsmiths, I'm sure they'll give you an interview. It's all been very late this year in terms of interviews.
Original post by sdavid
I completely agree, I think that's why I haven't said it's a first choice because there are so many cons to studying in London. But I know I'll be getting a good education at the end of the day and I guess that's what matters the most.

How did the interview go? That's great that they've all given you interviews though, hope it all goes well!! 😊

And yeah I think you're right I think every uni has a 'type'. Yeah she's also waiting on goldsmiths, I'm sure they'll give you an interview. It's all been very late this year in terms of interviews.

The interview went well, I think? She was lovely, patient, attentive and caring. Made Glasgow seem like a really lovely place to study at, with a really nurturing (but independent) environment.

Thanks! I am sure you will do great too. Good luck for your upcoming CSM interview and another other application~~
Reply 51
The interview went well, I think? She was lovely, patient, attentive and caring. Made Glasgow seem like a really lovely place to study at, with a really nurturing (but independent) environment.

Thanks! I am sure you will do great too. Good luck for your upcoming CSM interview and another other application~~

Aw that sounds great! I had the same with Birmingham School of art, she seemed genuinely interested! Which made it a very comfortable experience.

Thank you, I hope so, and you too 😊
Original post by sdavid
Well if it all ends up going well then I'll see you there 😭 How exciting! How was goldsmiths? A lot of my friends have applied there but I don't think they've had interviews yet.

That'd be cool. My Goldsmiths interview was very intimidating; it was definitely the most in-depth interview I've had. One of the interviewers was the professor of Critical Studies so I had to show I could analyse as well as create.
Original post by Boom_agus
That'd be cool. My Goldsmiths interview was very intimidating; it was definitely the most in-depth interview I've had. One of the interviewers was the professor of Critical Studies so I had to show I could analyse as well as create.

Wow, did you apply for the Fine Art, Fine Art & Art History or the Year 0 program?
Wow, did you apply for the Fine Art, Fine Art & Art History or the Year 0 program?

Year 0 leading to Fine Art
csm offer holders?? x
Original post by Smellyamelly
csm offer holders?? x

Yup. You?
Yup. You?

are you gunna firm it, or are you gunna g to you're other interviews if you have any and wait it out?

also what pathway??
Original post by Smellyamelly
are you gunna firm it, or are you gunna g to you're other interviews if you have any and wait it out?

also what pathway??

I'm going to firm it for the 2D Pathway. The only other interview I had after I got my CSM offer was for the Slade and I couldn't go because I had an exam. CSM is my first choice so it's an easy decision for me to firm it.
I'm going to firm it for the 2D Pathway. The only other interview I had after I got my CSM offer was for the Slade and I couldn't go because I had an exam. CSM is my first choice so it's an easy decision for me to firm it.

Oh fair, I may just go to my Chelsea interview and see what it's about beforehand. Otherwise I think I'm going to choose XD. See you there!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending