The Student Room Group

Teaching in Scotland

I'm asking on behalf of my boyfriend who was recently unsuccessful applying for PGDE in Secondary Education (modern studies specifically) at two universities in Scotland.

Is there another route into teaching without acquiring this? Or does anyone have any advice on what to do next?
My son is applying currently, there have been many conversations around the dinner table about it... he currently has one offer and is waiting to hear from two others, and also had an unsuccessful interview to one Uni.

Did you BF only make two applications? If so, he can add more choices now (up to a total of 5 choices including the two rejections).
He should phone the additional choices first to see if they are taking late applications (it will depend on how many applications they have already had, and the subject).

If your BF had interviews, he should ask for feedback about his interview performance as this may give useful info on his weak areas.
(My son did this, short polite email to the admission dept,and received feedback within a day).

Looking further ahead, now is the time for him to think about how strengthen his application for next year - always good to have a plan B!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I should have said, he's also applying in Scotland.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In Scotland there is no other way other than the PGDE or the 4 year education degrees out of Aberdeen and Stirling. For Primary there is a course that offers a different way of doing things out of Aberdeen Uni but I have never looked at it being a Secondary Applicant.

That being said don't lose hope! Last year I applied for History and didn't get in anywhere and honestly it was for the best. Which I know I can say now with hindsight, at the time I was devastated. I spent the year gaining confidence, getting more experience and saving money and I got in this year more prepared and in a better place mentally and just in my life in general. I went to secondary schools and talked to teachers, watched them teach, I continued being a leader for Brownies/Rainbows. See if he can find a Scout group? TEFL courses can also be a boost, you can go abroad and teach that way for short or long periods of time. Speaking as someone who has applied for History/ModS in particular, they are competitive. It isn't a subject group they lack teachers in like Maths but don't give up!

If it is possible you can apply to English Unis as well, the PGCE can be used to teach in Scotland. The downside being the cost of course but more Uni's offer it there so you do have a slightly better chance. Good Luck for next year, I hope he gets in.
Original post by mikeandadamsmum
My son is applying currently, there have been many conversations around the dinner table about it... he currently has one offer and is waiting to hear from two others, and also had an unsuccessful interview to one Uni.

Did you BF only make two applications? If so, he can add more choices now (up to a total of 5 choices including the two rejections).
He should phone the additional choices first to see if they are taking late applications (it will depend on how many applications they have already had, and the subject).

If your BF had interviews, he should ask for feedback about his interview performance as this may give useful info on his weak areas.
(My son did this, short polite email to the admission dept,and received feedback within a day).

Looking further ahead, now is the time for him to think about how strengthen his application for next year - always good to have a plan B!

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's located just outside of Glasgow so only applied to Strathclyde and Glasgow. He had an interview at Strath with no response back yet but feels it didn't go well as he is dyspraxic and wasn't expecting a handwritten piece to be part of the interview. I'll let him know to get some feedback, that's a good idea thanks. I think it's only becoming apparent now how much experience other applicants had previously, he has some working with youth groups etc but none in a classroom.

Another thing I'd like to ask as I am from England and am slightly jealous but also don't have much clue about university funding. Is there an age limit to the free education as such? Like if he were to apply again next year at age 24 would the course still be free?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending