The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Totally agree about the management speak. I felt a bit disappointed after my phone call to the recruitment line but having read CivilMac4's comments I feel gutted. And no, I don't care about future campaigns either.
Reply 3581
In light of the above, I have just e-mailed again trying to pin them down on the realistic expectation of a formal offer if not in post by April and got this back...

Hi.

The campaign will not close in April, candidates who are currently awaiting a formal offer will remain within this recruitment campaign. Due to the size of this campaign and other campaigns running along-side we cannot individually plan formal offers, the formal offers will be issued on merit. The planners will need to fully assess the applications for each area and what vacancies candidates are best suited for. Your formal offer depends on the score you achieved at interview, the locations you have requested, the vacancies in the area requested, the availability for training cohorts to commence in that area and the volume of applications received in that area. There are many factors that influence the issuing of a formal offer, therefore, I cannot give you a definitive answer. All of the above factors are looked at by the business and our planning team, they will not reach a definitive answer until all of the above is considered.

I understand this is frustrating , and your patience is appreciated whilst we complete the final stages of the process.

Im sorry I have no further information at this time.

E&C Recruitment Team.

Mildly reassuring but still slippery...I'd imagine we're not the only ones subject to the mushroom treatment.
Original post by dagoro1
Totally agree about the management speak. I felt a bit disappointed after my phone call to the recruitment line but having read CivilMac4's comments I feel gutted. And no, I don't care about future campaigns either.

Of course I hve been saying this for months to a chorus of abuse and that is why I have stressed from the outset that it was essential that the campaigns were conducted in a fair manner as there would inevitably be casualties but this has not happened. We have seen people with scores of 4s getting into post before people with scores of 5 or 6, as Rebecca will testify.... there has also been allegations of corruption back slapping and favouritism so there are big questions for HMRC to answer over the legitimacy and fairness of this campaign.

My email was clear when I got my Provisional Offer in august. There was a role for me IF pre- employment checks were completed. No ifs buts or maybes . There was a role. The e-mail was conclusive and I think if it was taken before the Supreme Court they would agree the e-mail was conclusive and HMRC would have to honour the commitment to hire every provisional offer holder still waiting. Any "business consideration etc etc" should have been considered before provisional offers were made.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jamz115
Of course I hve been saying this for months to a chorus of abuse and that is why I have stressed from the outset that it was essential that the campaigns were conducted in a fair manner as there would inevitably be casualties but this has not happened. We have seen people with scores of 4s getting into post before people with scores of 5 or 6, as Rebecca will testify.... there has also been allegations of corruption back slapping and favouritism so there are big questions for HMRC to answer over the legitimacy and fairness of this campaign.

My email was clear when I got my Provisional Offer in august. There was a role for me IF pre- employment checks were completed. No ifs buts or maybes . There was a role. The e-mail was conclusive and I think if it was taken before the Supreme Court they would agree the e-mail was conclusive and HMRC would have to honour the commitment to hire every provisional offer holder still waiting. Any "business consideration etc etc" should have been considered before provisional offers were made.

You've been berated on here because you've presented your opinions as facts and you have a very negative attitude, which you've demonstrated by coming on here to say "I told you so".

Look at others' replies and compare them to yours. Can you really not see the difference?

I've been waiting 18 months now and have been subject to a catalogue of errors since then. But when I see somebody on here has had an offer, I'm genuinely pleased for them. I don't begrudge them their luck or presume it's due to nepotism or bribery.

It may well turn out that you were right all along. We all know this process has been poor (to put it mildly) and we all come on to have a moan, BUT there's ways of doing it.
Reply 3584
Original post by Jamz115

The supreme court hahahaha. Maybe we can all go to the European Court of human rights if they judge against us?
Reply 3585
Original post by Wksr
The supreme court hahahaha. Maybe we can all go to the European Court of human rights if they judge against us?

Crowdfund?(!) :h:
Reply 3586
Guys

Just to give you some insight. The purpose of this large campaign and several other campaigns were to that ensure HMRC would have enough trained staff by the time the move to regional center will be complete. As a result of these campaigns the provisional offers went out but as you would expect there were no enough accommodation in the existing HMRC buildings to place all new recruits.

There were plans in place to lease additional temporary offices to place new recruits and most of the lease negotiation was expected to be complete by Feb/March 2017. But unfortunately there was a report on HMRC Estates published by NAO (link below) which raised few concerns regarding the Value for Money for some of the HMRC Estates. As a result, the plan for the temporary offices were put on hold. HMRC is currently awaiting confirmation/clarification from the Treasury before these additional lease agreement can be finalized. Until this is done no further offer can be made as there are no desks available for them in the existing offices.

But as soon as leases get a go ahead from treasury offer will start to go out. Hopeful this info would help some of you. It is a shame that some members like Jam115 use this forum for baseless scaremongering.

https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Managing-the-HMRC-Estates-Full-Report.pdf
Original post by Taaz1
Guys

Just to give you some insight. The purpose of this large campaign and several other campaigns were to that ensure HMRC would have enough trained staff by the time the move to regional center will be complete. As a result of these campaigns the provisional offers went out but as you would expect there were no enough accommodation in the existing HMRC buildings to place all new recruits.

There were plans in place to lease additional temporary offices to place new recruits and most of the lease negotiation was expected to be complete by Feb/March 2017. But unfortunately there was a report on HMRC Estates published by NAO (link below) which raised few concerns regarding the Value for Money for some of the HMRC Estates. As a result, the plan for the temporary offices were put on hold. HMRC is currently awaiting confirmation/clarification from the Treasury before these additional lease agreement can be finalized. Until this is done no further offer can be made as there are no desks available for them in the existing offices.

But as soon as leases get a go ahead from treasury offer will start to go out. Hopeful this info would help some of you. It is a shame that some members like Jam115 use this forum for baseless scaremongering.

https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Managing-the-HMRC-Estates-Full-Report.pdf

Thanks, this makes sense.
Original post by dagoro1
Thanks, this makes sense.

" baseless scaremongering " it came from an HMRC Manager not myself
Original post by Jamz115
" baseless scaremongering " it came from an HMRC Manager not myself

You've replied to me quoting somebody else?
In my office it would be completely inappropriate to take on more staff as:
a) there's no desks
b) there's no storage
c) there's only 6 experienced staff who are currently "training" 20 newbies
d) there's not enough visits to facilitate any proper practical training

It's no more organised when you start.
Original post by Violetx
a) there's no desks
b) there's no storage

Where are you based?
Original post by Violetx
a) there's no desks
b) there's no storage

That's not our problem. By any reasonable logic these things would be considered before Provisional offers are issued. As far as I am concerned and indeed it was the opinion of the MP I consulted, HMRC issued provisional job offers in specific places Provisional on the basis of pre-employment checks being completed and HMRC now has a legal
responsibility to honour the Offers they made. Instead they are embarking on more and more recruitment campaigns exacerbating the situation further.
Reply 3593
Original post by Taaz1
Guys

Thanks for the information mate. If this is indeed the case, they could have just told us. The generic non-answers they give you are so frustrating.
Original post by dc850208
Sorry, can I ask what you mean by natural wastage in the recruitment pool? Does that mean that people may not get offers at all or just instead experience some long delays?

Thank you for your help

It's not that it's the intention of the Department to end the process of making Provisional Offers Formal Offers - It's all about resources. Budgetary issues, efficiency issues mean the same scenario that existed when Provisional Offers were issued is no longer applicable. As the Dept has no clearance to accommodate an unlimited number of Provisional Offers either in our current estate or alternative short term locations, it's inevitable there will come a point when no further Formal Offers can be issued and with the pool of Provisional Offer holders becoming more and more saturated with other campaigns dropping into play, this is making the job of our planners more and more difficult and increasing the potential of natural wastage.
The Department is working hard to ensure the lessons from these campaigns are learned for applicants for future campaigns.
Reply 3595
Original post by CivilMac4
It's not that it's the intention of the Department to end the process of making Provisional Offers Formal Offers - It's all about resources. Budgetary issues, efficiency issues mean the same scenario that existed when Provisional Offers were issued is no longer applicable. As the Dept has no clearance to accommodate an unlimited number of Provisional Offers either in our current estate or alternative short term locations, it's inevitable there will come a point when no further Formal Offers can be issued and with the pool of Provisional Offer holders becoming more and more saturated with other campaigns dropping into play, this is making the job of our planners more and more difficult and increasing the potential of natural wastage.
The Department is working hard to ensure the lessons from these campaigns are learned for applicants for future campaigns.

Is it me or is this another person scaremongering again. "natural wastage" is something jamz will say
Original post by mabze
Is it me or is this another person scaremongering again. "natural wastage" is something jamz will say

I must admit it did cross my mind that this may be Jamz himself.
Original post by CivilMac4

To be honest, and with all due respect, your comment just makes me very angry. It sounds like a politician's way of saying there's been a massive cock-up which has been repeated several times over the last 18 months and will basically result in some provisional offers being withdrawn. But hey-ho, if you apply again in future it'll be better next time.
I'm sorry but that's not good enough. We're not just candidates, we're people, with real lives and an expectation that when a provisional offer is made (pending pre-employment checks) it will be honoured.
Original post by mabze

Absolutely my thoughts exactly!

This poster strikes me as someone not familiar with the process but rather trying to sound like they are.

For a start, an SEO is middle management which is not a grade that would be making decisions or even have insight as to the situation of national recruitment campaigns. The majority of SEOs work general operations in standard offices so wouldn't have any special insight or knowledge unless he/she was one of maybe 2 or 3 SEOs in a central HR position - but even then I'm not sure how much they would know.

Nor would an SEO have the right to represent 'the Department' in the way which is coming across here.

It is as if an outsider to the service has looked at the grading structure online and made (incorrect) assumptions regarding the hierarchy and responsibility certain grades have.

It's similar to Tescos running a national recruitment campaign and a manager of a bakery in your local store coming on to 'represent' Tescos as the voice of the campaign
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dagoro1
I must admit it did cross my mind that this may be Jamz himself.

😂 dear goodness you really think I'm that sad? Look I think we should all just look for different things in the mean time. If it happens it happens. Anyone knows until you sign the dotted line you aren't guaranteed any job anywhere and they ain't obliged to offer it. The bickering ain't gona get us anywhere
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending