The Student Room Group

Will the Muslim migrant & refugee crisis cause the EU to collapse?

Scroll to see replies

I don't think so, but it is going to be hard to deal with. I don't like the idea of refugees being turned away, but each country can only take so many people. They are going to need housing and food etc so all of the countries need to take however many they can deal with and then large, rich countries such as the USA and Australia need to help too.
The EU isn't going to collapse just because a few immigrants. Chill.
Reply 3
Original post by Powersymphonia
I don't think so, but it is going to be hard to deal with. I don't like the idea of refugees being turned away, but each country can only take so many people. They are going to need housing and food etc so all of the countries need to take however many they can deal with and then large, rich countries such as the USA and Australia need to help too.

USA and Australia are tough or getting tougher on the issue so that won't happen, it's already a strong factor in brexit, it's a strong reason to rise of Le Pen and Geert Wilders, if they win you can bet a huge crisis in Europe. I think as much a shock brexit might've been to the system, the UK was never fully part of the EU's model, we always wanted different to them but countries like France, Germany, Netherlands, etc. Are key.

In my opinion western countries should feel obliged to help seeing as it is partially due to their actions that the refugees have had to flee their countries.
Original post by _princessxox
In my opinion western countries should feel obliged to help seeing as it is partially due to their actions that the refugees have had to flee their countries.

I think Russia should help too. They are fighting in Syria so they should take some of the refugees. They are the largest country in the world and have massive, habitable unpopulated areas where new settlements could be built.
Original post by zayn008
USA and Australia are tough or getting tougher on the issue so that won't happen, it's already a strong factor in brexit, it's a strong reason to rise of Le Pen and Geert Wilders, if they win you can bet a huge crisis in Europe. I think as much a shock brexit might've been to the system, the UK was never fully part of the EU's model, we always wanted different to them but countries like France, Germany, Netherlands, etc. Are key.

The problem is that these refugees need to go somewhere. The EU could take so many people but if the EU countries become too full, then countries that have space, need to stop being tight asses.
Exactly princessxox. NATO countries should be bending over backwards to bring refugees to the UK, Europe, USA etc. Not only that but they should also get given compensation by the government.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8

Saudis are bombing them too and they are more culturally similar.
Reply 9
Original post by AishaGirl
The EU isn't going to collapse just because a few immigrants. Chill.

Actually it can!
Humans are not rational beings they are emotional.
You simply have to present the refugees as a great threat to their country using populism and they'll vote far-right parties which are extremely euro sceptic.
If the far-right has the power in important countries of the EU like France, we might see the dissolution of the EU and a new era for Europe:
small and insignificant nationalistic sovereign countries that decline in power until Europe is no longer significant at all.
The worst threat for Europe is not Islam, it is the far right populists that take advantage of the public frustration and fear.
But you should have expected that when you accepted refugees in the first place; one of the worst decisions the EU has ever taken.
Reply 10
Original post by FolloUrDreams

It will play a role, but I think the hatred for the EU and what it wants to become will bring it down. Though another 5 years of poor Euro Monetary policy and it will definitely collapse. No doubt about it.
Reply 11
The problem is that these refugees need to go somewhere. The EU could take so many people but if the EU countries become too full, then countries that have space, need to stop being tight asses.

The government barely has the resources to look after its own people/country... I much prefer the idea of safe zones. After the whole refugee crisis with the security threats, the smuggling, the trafficking, the lying, people coming as economic migrants but posing as refugees, etc, people are gonna be angry. I can't blame immigrants because we all want and deserve the best for overseleves but the government and EU have failed to prevent these surges and instead encourage domestic it. I'm 100% for Safe Zones.
Reply 12
Original post by PolPot
It will play a role, but I think the hatred for the EU and what it wants to become will bring it down. Though another 5 years of poor Euro Monetary policy and it will definitely collapse. No doubt about it.

Forget monetary policy, it has a security crisis, a verge of political crisis if French and Dutch elections go sideways, it has 2 economies nearly going bankrupt, it has a massive german bank about to collapse, it has a ticking time bomb in several other banks too but you're right, the monetary policy does add onto that.
Original post by PolPot
Saudis are bombing them too and they are more culturally similar.

That's right just blame the Arabs... Why is culture relevant here? The fact is the question was regarding the EU and we can't ignore the fact that the west, who claim to be supporting refugees, are a huge part of the reason that the refugees have fled their countries.
I think Russia should help too. They are fighting in Syria so they should take some of the refugees. They are the largest country in the world and have massive, habitable unpopulated areas where new settlements could be built.

It's true Russia should now have the responsibility to take on and provide for the victims of their actions, just as the UK, USA, EU etc should too
That's right just blame the Arabs... Why is culture relevant here? The fact is the question was regarding the EU and we can't ignore the fact that the west, who claim to be supporting refugees, are a huge part of the reason that the refugees have fled their countries.

He blamed Saudi Arabia specifically, not Arabs generally. If you're of the principled view that all sides in an armed conflict have a responsibility to those who are displaced or otherwise harmed because of it, then I'm not sure what your objection is - it's undeniable that Saudi Arabia has armed and funded, or allowed its citizens to arm and fund, one side of the Syrian conflict for years, and is additionally responsible because of its decades-long export of Wahhabism to other countries.

However, I can see why all this wouldn't add up if someone didn't in fact have any principles and simply got a kick out of using the misery of others to justify a worldview that blames 'the west' (whatever that means) for everything...

It's curious that you think it's wrong to generalise Arab countries - which the member didn't even do, for the record - yet continue to refer to 'the west' as if there's no relevant difference between, say, Ireland and the United States. If you mean the US and the UK, then say so. It's a little more effort but you clearly expect others to differentiate between Arabs, so I'm sure you wouldn't mind leading by example.
a few immigrantsl.
Yeah because it's just a few isn't it
bending over backwards to bring refugees to the UK, Europe, USA etc. Not only that but they should also get given compensation by the government.

Taking in refugees is destroying countries, just look at the disaster happening in Germany, France, Belgium and Sweden.

We should not be taking in any more refugees, let the Arab countries take them. That will be much easier for the refugees because they will already speak the same language, have the same culture etc.

Furthermore, once the war is over all refugees should be sent back (which I think they will). This should not be a free pass to citizenship.
(edited 7 years ago)
Taking in refugees is destroying countries, just look at the disaster happening in Germany, France, Belgium and Sweden.

We should not be taking in any more refugees, let the Arab countries take them. That will be much easier for the refugees because they will already speak the same language, have the same culture etc.

Furthermore, once the war is over all refugees should be sent back (which I think they will). This should not be a free pass to citizenship.

Once the country the west destroyed is rebuilt and their houses rebuilt and their economy is rebuilt then yes I agree, they should be sent back. So perhaps in like 25+ years?

The Arab countries are selfish and are not taking many refugees and yes this is despicable, Islam teaches us to be compassionate to our fellow Muslims and help them when they're in need but they just ignore them, it's so sad.

However that doesn't then give a free pass to non muslim countries to also reject them when those countries are the ones responsible primarily for them being a refugee in the first place.
Yeah because it's just a few isn't it

Do you hate Muslims or the EU more or both just as much as each other? You seem obsessed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending