The Student Room Group

IB subjects uk to singapore

When I have finished my GCSE ill be going to Singapore and will be doing the IB
course is their anything in particular I should know?

I plan to take economics,Spanish and compulsory English lit/lan at standard level
Maths,physics and history at higher level.
Im debating whether or not to take biology instead of physics or economics

any advice would be helpful
Original post by mattjuan
When I have finished my GCSE ill be going to Singapore and will be doing the IB
course is their anything in particular I should know?

I plan to take economics,Spanish and compulsory English lit/lan at standard level
Maths,physics and history at higher level.
Im debating whether or not to take biology instead of physics or economics

any advice would be helpful

It's difficult/impossible to give you any advice on which subjects to take without knowing what you want to do after you've finished school. University? Any ideas what degree you'd like to do or career you'd like to have?
Reply 2
im not sure about what job I want to do but I think ill either do economics or a science as a degree.
im not sure about what job I want to do but I think ill either do economics or a science as a degree.

Then you should take maths and physics (or whatever science you're most interested in) at HL. You don't need economics to do it as a degree.
Reply 4
As of now your Higher combination sounds like a killer. History alone is madness, especially if you're not doing a degree related to intensive reading and essay writing (Law/ History etc). I would recommend taking Econs at HL and dropping History to SL otherwise you will suffer. Both of them are relatively similar at HL/SL, however doing Econs at HL would be preferable when applying to Uni's should you want to pursue Econs at undergrad. HL Math is also pretty hardcore, my graduating class of 200 had less than 20 people in HL math. A*'s at Accelerated Math at IGCSE's were failing HL Math. So be ready to drop it to SL and have an SL on standby in case you need to up it to HL. HL Spanish is mainly for people who have been doing it for more than 5 years/ Native speakers who are doing it at Language B because their Language A is English. Of course, if you're good it should be no worries!

If you're looking for more practical English skills, take LangLit, its more of language and some people don't find it as boring as pure Lit. SL Lit has around 10 books I believe to cover (I did HL, which has 14) in the 1.5 years.

Don't forget to use your hobbies you have now (sport/instrument type thing) as CAS. Great easy way to clock in the hours. Don't forget about TOK when you're dying with workload (its important!). Make sure you do your EE in something you're passionate about (usually a HL subject), makes it way easier.
Reply 5
can u take something in higher level and ddrop it to standard and vice versa, what is the difference between standard level and higher level ?
can u take something in higher level and ddrop it to standard and vice versa, what is the difference between standard level and higher level ?

SL and HL is different for every subject in terms of level. (For most, you have to do one more external paper + they are mostly harder) It's fine to take something in higher level and drop it to standard level, but sometimes that would mean you have to study a whole different course for certain subjects (ex: Maths HL and SL is completely different)... However, for some subjects like BM, it's really similar soo... but I really would recommend you to choose carefully and don't switch in the middle.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending