The Student Room Group

Healthcare Assistant in Chemotherapy department

Hey! I've been offered an interview at my local hospital for a HCA in a Chemotherapy outpatient unit, and i'm just wondering what sort of questions i'll be asked? Additionally, what my roles would be! I'm a bit scared as i have no experience in this field, what would make me stand out from the other candidates? Thank you!
Reply 1
I work as a HCA in outpatients oncology/chemotherapy, but I got the job through a mass recruitment for the entire hospital so the questions were pretty general. I imagine it will be pretty similar process for you though. The questions were based on the 6 c's and the hospitals own values, so I'd recommend researching them on the trusts/hospitals' website. There were also generic scenario based questions that are applicable to any HCA job, e.g. What to do if a patients friend who is not next of kin phones up wanting to know details about patient etc.

You could also do some research into chemo/oncology, and try and throw it into the interview somehow to show you've been reading up about it. Or even when they ask if you want to ask them questions at the end of the interview, you could throw it in there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
HCAs (to my understanding) do a bit of general caring for patients (e.g. talking to them, bringing drinks etc) and provide some support for nursing staff (cleaning up, bringing equipment etc)

I'd imagine in an interview you'll get some scenario based questions about how you would preserve confidentiality (like someone above said), something about knowing to seek help in a medical emergency, and probably something about people skills/dealing with upset/angry people, possible something about how to make someone feel better within your role (being friendly and upbeat and making the ward a good atmosphere)

there's also likely to be general questions about why you're suited, what you can bring etc - I would look at the job spec and try and pick out some key points you can address
Original post by sarahja
I work as a HCA in outpatients oncology/chemotherapy, but I got the job through a mass recruitment for the entire hospital so the questions were pretty general. I imagine it will be pretty similar process for you though. The questions were based on the 6 c's and the hospitals own values, so I'd recommend researching them on the trusts/hospitals' website. There were also generic scenario based questions that are applicable to any HCA job, e.g. What to do if a patients friend who is not next of kin phones up wanting to know details about patient etc.

You could also do some research into chemo/oncology, and try and throw it into the interview somehow to show you've been reading up about it. Or even when they ask if you want to ask them questions at the end of the interview, you could throw it in there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! fingers crossed
Reply 4
Original post by BeccaLucy1998
Hey! I've been offered an interview at my local hospital for a HCA in a Chemotherapy outpatient unit, and i'm just wondering what sort of questions i'll be asked? Additionally, what my roles would be! I'm a bit scared as i have no experience in this field, what would make me stand out from the other candidates? Thank you!

Hi, Did you find this job on the NHS website? I can't seem to find any healthcare assistant work, only community care assistant.

Regards*
Original post by 123ash
Hi, Did you find this job on the NHS website? I can't seem to find any healthcare assistant work, only community care assistant.

Regards*

hey yes i found it on nhsjobs.com and i got the job! i think it changes frequently, you just have to keep an eye on what jobs are going!
Reply 6
hey yes i found it on nhsjobs.com and i got the job! i think it changes frequently, you just have to keep an eye on what jobs are going!

Thanks would love something like that :-)
Hiya bit late but the same job has come up inmy area and i wondered how you are doing? What do the duties involve ?
Thanks
Anna
Original post by Anna busson
Hiya bit late but the same job has come up inmy area and i wondered how you are doing? What do the duties involve ?
Thanks
Anna

Hey Anna :smile:

So I've been working here since November now and its great! There was so much support in my first month and i was able to get the hang of it all quickly! So I run the clinic where the Doctors see patients before, during, and after their treatment. In a day i would usually prepare the clinic, ensure i have all the notes, ensure the doctors have everything they need, like consent forms for chemotherapy and radiotherapy, and the equipment they would need to examine patients. Once the clinic begins i call in the patients, taking their weight, blood pressure, oxygen saturation, blood glucose level, urine dip etc etc where applicable. Once the clinic has finished i outcome everything and ensure all notes have been tracked. I also have to ring patients if their treatment is deferred. If there are any other questions feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 9
Hey Anna :smile:

So I've been working here since November now and its great! There was so much support in my first month and i was able to get the hang of it all quickly! So I run the clinic where the Doctors see patients before, during, and after their treatment. In a day i would usually prepare the clinic, ensure i have all the notes, ensure the doctors have everything they need, like consent forms for chemotherapy and radiotherapy, and the equipment they would need to examine patients. Once the clinic begins i call in the patients, taking their weight, blood pressure, oxygen saturation, blood glucose level, urine dip etc etc where applicable. Once the clinic has finished i outcome everything and ensure all notes have been tracked. I also have to ring patients if their treatment is deferred. If there are any other questions feel free to ask :smile:

Hi,are you still doing this role? I've applied for same job role and wondering is training given prior or on the job? Do you find it upsetting
Hi, don’t know if you’re still doing this job, but I just got an email for an assessment after being successful with my interview. Could you please give an example of tests to expect and if possible a possible example of role play and how to go about it.

Quick Reply

Latest