The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doonesbury
Not common, but not necessarily impossible. Best to speak to your college asap.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply. Do you know how this would work? Would I have to provide some sort of evidence/basis for switching, or does it depend entirely on whether the college has space for the desired course?

Also, I've read from other sources that colleges prefer to have students switch Tripos once the student has arrived in October (so he can speak directly with the DOS). I understand this is not true?
Original post by princepandaxvii
Is it common/possible to switch tripos before the start of your degree? I am considering switching to History & Politics, having initially applied for History.

I'd just add that in my experience this can be tricky. Unlike changing tripos after doing a Part, you're an unknown quantity to your college at the moment, and they have interviewed and accepted you onto a specific course. Trying to change it before you go up sometimes seems as if you're trying to get into another course 'by the back door'. It can also come across as a bit indecisive - usually a great deal of work, passion and research has gone into your course choice, so to attempt to change at this stage is going to raise some questions

Best to speak to the college, but don't be surprised (or disheartened) if they turn your request down.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
While Peterhouse enjoying the "success" of having a high profile on TSR?

Confirming I wouldn't have applied to Peterhouse had it not been for their presence on TSR.
Original post by princepandaxvii
Is it common/possible to switch tripos before the start of your degree? I am considering switching to History & Politics, having initially applied for History.

I don't really know, but since those courses are closely related presumably you would be all right on that front. You might have problems based on other things though. But there's no harm in asking.
Reply 1584
Random thought: did it ever happen for a student to move to another college after matriculation/summer pool?

Sent from my HTC Desire 320 using Tapatalk
Reply 1585
Original post by zpx
Random thought: did it ever happen for a student to move to another college after matriculation/summer pool?

I know of one, there are undoubtedly more.
Original post by alow
I know of one, there are undoubtedly more.

How did they manage that? I thought it was set in stone for at least three years after matriculation.
Reply 1587
Original post by Forecast
How did they manage that? I thought it was set in stone for at least three years after matriculation.

http://www.tcs.cam.ac.uk/news/0034069-cambridge-women-s-colleges-and-trans-students-the-case-for-clarification.html
Anyone out there been invited for a choral award audition?
Original post by zpx

Sent from my HTC Desire 320 using Tapatalk

It can happen, but it's very rare. I've never heard an undergraduate student making a successful application to change college, probably because the criteria for doing so are so restrictive.

That TCS link (thanks, @alow) about trans students is really interesting. My first thought was 'what if a female student at Newnham transitions to being a male - does he then have to leave the college?
Does anyone know what happens if you miss your cambridge offer? Will your college reconsider you like other unis might or is it straight out? My offer seems quite high and i'm really scared ill miss it :// I've heard that the summer pool is only for maths students who miss their step but what other subjects?
Reply 1591
Original post by nia.katochi
Does anyone know what happens if you miss your cambridge offer? Will your college reconsider you like other unis might or is it straight out? My offer seems quite high and i'm really scared ill miss it :// I've heard that the summer pool is only for maths students who miss their step but what other subjects?

It entirely depends on the circumstances on Results Day. For example, if you narrowly miss the offer and others miss by more then you may still get a place. If your A-levels still have UMS and you miss the offer it is a good idea to notify the college of your UMS scores.

The Summer Pool is not just for Maths, it just so happens that most people in it are mathmos.
Sorry if this has been discussed a lot, but there's a lot of pages to get through and I couldn't see it mentioned too much. What revision balance has everyone got at the minute? I have a lot of content to cover, and want to start early; I've been revising fairly solidly for the last two weeks, but am also concerned about burning out. Could anyone let me know what their plan is, and how much work they're doing currently and when they plan to start revising properly. Thanks
Original post by Stringer8ell
Sorry if this has been discussed a lot, but there's a lot of pages to get through and I couldn't see it mentioned too much. What revision balance has everyone got at the minute? I have a lot of content to cover, and want to start early; I've been revising fairly solidly for the last two weeks, but am also concerned about burning out. Could anyone let me know what their plan is, and how much work they're doing currently and when they plan to start revising properly. Thanks

I've been doing about 2-3 hours a day, in and out of school. More on weekends. Maybe I'm doing too much but it's been pretty helpful so far, especially for going over last year's stuff. Starting around this point is probably fine, especially if you've got a Cambridge offer to make. What college and course do you have an offer for if you don't mind me asking?

Also nice name by the way :biggrin:
Spent all week on my English Lit coursework and other than tidying up etc my first draft is finished :redface: and soon it'll just be revision which is much more enjoyable :biggrin:

(Coursework is fun but I hate the book and the poems I have to do for English Lit :frown:)
Original post by Stringer8ell

I stay back at college Mondays to Thursdays. Here, I do coursework and revision until around 7pm. I started proper revision at the end of Jan but haven't done as much as I wanted to do this month because of my coursework (I do three essay subjects). On weekends I'll start to spend a whole day revising, and I will take the other day off completely. Fridays I don't do anything either.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Spent all week on my English Lit coursework and other than tidying up etc my first draft is finished :redface: and soon it'll just be revision which is much more enjoyable :biggrin:

(Coursework is fun but I hate the book and the poems I have to do for English Lit :frown:)

What book and poems are you doing?

I know one non-mathmo who got in through the summer pool despite missing their offer. I don't think it's that common though.
Reply 1598

Original post by sweeneyrod
I know one non-mathmo who got in through the summer pool despite missing their offer. I don't think it's that common though.

Yep - one Economist has been accepted each year for the past 4 years via the summer pool. But that's not to say others wheren't accepted despite missing their offer. If they are accepted by their original college they won't necessarily be via the pool.

Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 10.37.45.jpg
Original post by HolyRomanEmpire
I've been doing about 2-3 hours a day, in and out of school. More on weekends. Maybe I'm doing too much but it's been pretty helpful so far, especially for going over last year's stuff. Starting around this point is probably fine, especially if you've got a Cambridge offer to make. What college and course do you have an offer for if you don't mind me asking?

Also nice name by the way :biggrin:

Haha, I'm a big fan on the wire. Yeah, I'm trying to do a similar amount. I've got an MML offer from Jesus, how about you?

Latest

Trending

Trending