The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Social Policy, Crime & Criminal Justice

Any current student doing this?
I just received an alternative offer for this course from York!!
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by Robson1994

Can I ask what it was
Reply 3

Me too
Original post by Robair65
Can I ask what it was

https://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/ba-social-policy-crime-criminal-justice/

theres the link to their site that can explain better than i can really if you read into it it sounds quite interesting they emailed me with a list of four options and i read around them for a few hours and then picked one.
Has anyone actually accepted their offer for this course?
Reply 6
Has anyone actually accepted their offer for this course?

Have you been to an applicant day yet?
Reply 7
Original post by ciaranp18
Have you been to an applicant day yet?

I went to the applicant day on the 28th January, all the Social Policy days are together so it was a mix of students for different pathways. Good to look around the university and listen to talks in the morning, I hadn't been to an open day.
Afternoon was more department specific, great introduction from Prof Hudson..
Lots of opportunity to ask questions from other academics and present students, a good day.
Reply 8
I went to the applicant day on the 28th January, all the Social Policy days are together so it was a mix of students for different pathways. Good to look around the university and listen to talks in the morning, I hadn't been to an open day.
Afternoon was more department specific, great introduction from Prof Hudson..
Lots of opportunity to ask questions from other academics and present students, a good day.

That's good to hear. I'm going on the 22nd Feb as Coventry had its applicant day on the 28th too. I also haven't been to an Open Day so this will be my first time looking around the Uni etc. Have you decided on a college if you firm?
Reply 9
That's good to hear. I'm going on the 22nd Feb as Coventry had its applicant day on the 28th too. I also haven't been to an Open Day so this will be my first time looking around the Uni etc. Have you decided on a college if you firm?

Will probably firm, but no decision on a college, like the look at Hes east but also Derwent/James, really like the college set up!

Ive Booked onto the visit day on the 22nd I need more info and i need to know what its like, as far as a college i was looking at Goodricke. It wasn't going to be one of my top choies but after looking at the uni It's quickly becoming my top option
I have firmed York(EEE offer) on this course and will be attending the 22 Fed applicant day, but I am travelling to York on the 21st to explore.
Hi! Any questions don't feel scared to ask, I'm a 2nd year at York doing this course :smile:
Original post by bethaney96
Hi! Any questions don't feel scared to ask, I'm a 2nd year at York doing this course :smile:

Hi, can I ask you why you chose this course at York, I have a minimum grade offer at York but also loved Birmingham thanks
Hi, can I ask you why you chose this course at York, I have a minimum grade offer at York but also loved Birmingham thanks

I originally applied to study Social Work at York but they didn't accept me and rather than reject me completely, they offered me a place on this course which turned out to be so much better. I looked at what the course offers, not just for first year but right up to third year and I found the modules sounded interesting and the chance to do a placement more or less sold me. An interest in crime definitely helps but look further than just the university you're applying for, look at the city and decide if you'd be comfortable being there. In the end I chose York as a result of personal preference as it's not far from home but having said that I would 100% recommend this course anyway. I thoroughly enjoy it and the help from lecturer's is really good compared to other uni's I've heard about. (Sorry it's a bit long winded haha!)
I originally applied to study Social Work at York but they didn't accept me and rather than reject me completely, they offered me a place on this course which turned out to be so much better. I looked at what the course offers, not just for first year but right up to third year and I found the modules sounded interesting and the chance to do a placement more or less sold me. An interest in crime definitely helps but look further than just the university you're applying for, look at the city and decide if you'd be comfortable being there. In the end I chose York as a result of personal preference as it's not far from home but having said that I would 100% recommend this course anyway. I thoroughly enjoy it and the help from lecturer's is really good compared to other uni's I've heard about. (Sorry it's a bit long winded haha!)

Thank you for this, I have been to applicant days at both and love the opportunity of a placement but Birmingham does a year abroad that York don't offer!
There are other pro's and con's to both and I'm going round in circles atm😀
Can I as a few more questions about the course...How many students are on the Social Policy courses and what is the breakdown of mature students to school leavers?
Is there much cross over within the courses for straight Social Policy and Crime and Social Policy?
How many contact hours do you have in each year?
Thank you for this, I have been to applicant days at both and love the opportunity of a placement but Birmingham does a year abroad that York don't offer!
There are other pro's and con's to both and I'm going round in circles atm😀
Can I as a few more questions about the course...How many students are on the Social Policy courses and what is the breakdown of mature students to school leavers?
Is there much cross over within the courses for straight Social Policy and Crime and Social Policy?
How many contact hours do you have in each year?

Well if you were to do a placement with York if you can afford to go abroad it is definitely doable, if not there are a number of opportunities to still go abroad within the uni.
The amount of students on each course varies each year but I'd say roughly 20 students on each social policy course but you mix with social work and criminology students so it looks like a lot of people are on the course when there's not actually loads.
Obviously majority of the students are school leavers but mature students seem more common on this course than others, in my year there are around 12 mature students.
Yes, there is a lot of cross over and you'll find yourself doing a lot of the same things as social policy students as many of them have the option to take the set modules the CCJ students do. However, this is mainly in the first year you'll have social policy related modules as it gets gradually gets more crime based.
If I'm being totally honest, this course has very little contact hours. For example, being a second year student I only have a total of 15 contact hours a week whereas other courses have 20+ but this is due to the fact a lot of the course is independent research and of course if you wanted to speak more to tutors they have drop in hours where you can go and talk for a bit about anything.

Hope this helps :smile:
Well if you were to do a placement with York if you can afford to go abroad it is definitely doable, if not there are a number of opportunities to still go abroad within the uni.
The amount of students on each course varies each year but I'd say roughly 20 students on each social policy course but you mix with social work and criminology students so it looks like a lot of people are on the course when there's not actually loads.
Obviously majority of the students are school leavers but mature students seem more common on this course than others, in my year there are around 12 mature students.
Yes, there is a lot of cross over and you'll find yourself doing a lot of the same things as social policy students as many of them have the option to take the set modules the CCJ students do. However, this is mainly in the first year you'll have social policy related modules as it gets gradually gets more crime based.
If I'm being totally honest, this course has very little contact hours. For example, being a second year student I only have a total of 15 contact hours a week whereas other courses have 20+ but this is due to the fact a lot of the course is independent research and of course if you wanted to speak more to tutors they have drop in hours where you can go and talk for a bit about anything.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks for your help
Reply 18
Hi, is anyone doing social policy and crime at the university of Leeds?

Quick Reply

Latest