The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by IreneBMo
Have you been to it?

Of course not. I'm not in the habit of throwing thousands of pounds down the drain.
Original post by alow
Of course not. I'm not in the habit of throwing thousands of pounds down the drain.

Good on you, son.
Original post by alow

I am looking for actual reviews of the place but still, thank you. I want to do something new this summer and I'm choosing between military camp again or a summer school of this sort. I will make sure that if I do go to Cambridge Immerse, I'll get as involved as possible to avoid "throwing thousands of pounds down the drain".

I'm having a lot of trouble choosing the right career path for me and so far what I've seen of this program I've loved. A girl who studied Biology in Cambridge came to our school to talk about it and I just want to know more.
Hi peeps OP here.

don't waste your money on it. Lots of my friends seemed to have Oxbridge summer schools which is why I wanted to do it but it's not necessary. I didn't go for it in the end but I still got an offer from Cambridge (economics).
You could spend summer earning money rather than spending it! There are really good places you can get summer internships in y12-13.
Current Cambridge undergrad here:

Before coming to Cambridge, the only summer schools I'd done were free ones organised by universities as part of their outreach efforts, and none of which were at Cambridge. This really didn't matter, they weren't looking for someone who was rich enough to pay for a two week summer school, instead they were much more interested in how good I was at my subject and the various ways I had independently studied/ read around my subject :smile: So there really is no need to pay for a summer school, it's not going to make a huge difference to your chances of getting in.

As others have said, this is just one where a private company is hiring out a college to use their accommodation for the summer school - it is not in any way endorsed or supported by the university or the colleges.

I have seen several adverts around Cambridge trying to recruit undergrads/ postgrads to act as mentors and even teachers on the program - it really isn't being run by the world-famous Cambridge professors as they try to pretend...

If you're looking for a fun and vaguely educational summer program and you've got the money, then go for it, but tbh there are a lot cheaper/ better options out there and in terms of admissions it isn't going to help a lot.
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Current Cambridge undergrad here:

Before coming to Cambridge, the only summer schools I'd done were free ones organised by universities as part of their outreach efforts, and none of which were at Cambridge. This really didn't matter, they weren't looking for someone who was rich enough to pay for a two week summer school, instead they were much more interested in how good I was at my subject and the various ways I had independently studied/ read around my subject :smile: So there really is no need to pay for a summer school, it's not going to make a huge difference to your chances of getting in.

As others have said, this is just one where a private company is hiring out a college to use their accommodation for the summer school - it is not in any way endorsed or supported by the university or the colleges.

I have seen several adverts around Cambridge trying to recruit undergrads/ postgrads to act as mentors and even teachers on the program - it really isn't being run by the world-famous Cambridge professors as they try to pretend...

If you're looking for a fun and vaguely educational summer program and you've got the money, then go for it, but tbh there are a lot cheaper/ better options out there and in terms of admissions it isn't going to help a lot.

Yep, I'd echo this. Several of my friends were tutors on these Cambridge summer schools - £1K for a few weeks work - job done. They have no affiliation or connexion with Cambridge apart from the fact that they are in the same city and usually hire college buildings in the hope that some of the Cambridge glitz will rub off on them. They were attended almost exclusively by Arabs and Chinese students whose parents had got more money than sense and were desperate for their children to get any sort of 'advantage' for a subsequent university application. Most of the children who attend these courses are absolute brats because they've spent their entire short lives getting exactly what they want and being told that they're 'special'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IreneBMo
I am looking for actual reviews of the place but still, thank you. I want to do something new this summer and I'm choosing between military camp again or a summer school of this sort. I will make sure that if I do go to Cambridge Immerse, I'll get as involved as possible to avoid "throwing thousands of pounds down the drain".

I'm having a lot of trouble choosing the right career path for me and so far what I've seen of this program I've loved. A girl who studied Biology in Cambridge came to our school to talk about it and I just want to know more.

If you genuinely think it'll be interesting for you to attend and your parents are willing to pay for it, do it by all means. It's your choice (and your parents' money) and nobody has right to stop you,
But just don't expect it may give you any benefit or advantage in application to Cambridge because it really won't.
The University is actually a bit annoyed by those kinds of private summer schools/tutoring companies/websites that use their name, pretending they have some connection with the University and/or they'd give you some edge on the application, to prey on unsuspecting applicants (and their parents) .
Original post by Reality Check
Yep, I'd echo this. Several of my friends were tutors on these Cambridge summer schools - £1K for a few weeks work - job done. They have no affiliation or connexion with Cambridge apart from the fact that they are in the same city and usually hire college buildings in the hope that some of the Cambridge glitz will rub off on them. They were attended almost exclusively by Arabs and Chinese students whose parents had got more money than sense and were desperate for their children to get any sort of 'advantage' for a subsequent university application. Most of the children who attend these courses are absolute brats because they've spent their entire short lives getting exactly what they want and being told that they're 'special'.

And East Europeans (mainly Russians) these days. :wink:

1k for a few weeks doesn't sound much, if you have to be stuck there for the length of period. The company behind it must be making loads.......
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
And East Europeans (mainly Russians) these days. :wink:

1k for a few weeks doesn't sound much, if you have to be stuck there for the length of period. The company behind it must be making loads.......

That was a few years ago - it's probably gone up a bit now. Those pay rates weren't residential though - that was just for doing a few sessions a day, and having to go on the odd excursion to London and supervise them buying out Harrods. These companies are, to use a Doonesburyism, 'coining it in'. And then there's all the extra stuff on top of the basic course fees - excursions, 'extra tuition', 'mentoring', 'souvenirs'. It's extremely lucrative for these companies who, as usual, take advantage of desperate parent's ignorance of the admission's process. That's where we come in...
(edited 7 years ago)
That was a few years ago - it's probably gone up a bit now. Those pay rates weren't residential though - that was just for doing a few sessions a day, and having to go on the odd excursion to London and supervise them buying out Harrods. These companies are, to use a Doonesburyism, 'coining it in'. And then there's all the extra stuff on top of the basic course fees - excursions, 'extra tuition', 'mentoring', 'souvenirs'. It's extremely lucrative for these companies who, as usual, take advantage of desperate parent's ignorance of the admission's process. That's where we come in...

It was during a summer holiday,wasn't it? Did the company provide accommodation/food for them for the length of course or did they have to arrange it by themselves?

Lol does it include a shopping tour to Harrods, too?
Well, OP, it says it all. :wink:

Yep, we're here to help those wandering souls navigate through complicated Cambridge application trails.......and our service is completely free! :biggrin:
It was during a summer holiday,wasn't it? Did the company provide accommodation/food for them for the length of course or did they have to arrange it by themselves?

Lol does it include a shopping tour to Harrods, too?
Well, OP, it says it all. :wink:

Yep, we're here to help those wandering souls navigate through complicated Cambridge application trails.......and our service is completely free! :biggrin:

Yep - a summer holiday residential. They provided accommodation and food, but the course fee was something extortionate from memory. Apparently one trip to London, ostensibly an 'educational tour, just ended up with them back on the coach having bought gold iPhone cases, luxury leather goods and watches from Harrods. The whole thing was a bit of a sham, as far as I could see. This doesn't mean that all of these courses are exactly the same as the one I"m anecdotally describing here, but it certainly wasn't the only one which was like this.

Free, accurate and well-considered advice from those in the know. Sometimes, TSR is too good. :smile:
Yep - a summer holiday residential. They provided accommodation and food, but the course fee was something extortionate from memory. Apparently one trip to London, ostensibly an 'educational tour, just ended up with them back on the coach having bought gold iPhone cases, luxury leather goods and watches from Harrods. The whole thing was a bit of a sham, as far as I could see. This doesn't mean that all of these courses are exactly the same as the one I"m anecdotally describing here, but it certainly wasn't the only one which was like this.

Free, accurate and well-considered advice from those in the know. Sometimes, TSR is too good. :smile:

Sorry, I meant accommodation/food for those who were working for them, not 'students (=preys)'.

Though I think those summer schools are really dirty business, I'm also very annoyed with those websites and tutoring services that 'implies 'they have connection with Oxbridge and can give you extra advantage for application.
Each 'service' is probably much cheaper than summer schools but they must be preying on much bigger number of applicants......

At least at TSR if someone gives a wrong info/advice, there'd be (usually) other posters rushing in to correct it! :tongue:
Sorry, I meant accommodation/food for those who were working for them, not 'students (=preys)'.

Though I think those summer schools are really dirty business, I'm also very annoyed with those websites and tutoring services that 'implies 'they have connection with Oxbridge and can give you extra advantage for application.
Each 'service' is probably much cheaper than summer schools but they must be preying on much bigger number of applicants......

At least at TSR if someone gives a wrong info/advice, there'd be (usually) other posters rushing in to correct it! :tongue:

Totally agree with you. And no - the tutors got nothing really: maybe the odd cup of coffee or something!
We literally give information away at open days, school visits and on TSR etc, all at substantial cost to us. If you're having to pay more than a few pounds for a meal then it is very very unlikely to be legit or connected to the University.
Original post by Happymother
My daughter has just completed the course and it was incredible. Worth every penny and more.

So you created the account just to post this?

We've all seen a similar pattern before...........
Reply 36
If Cambridge Universities was truly annoyed by these schools they wouldn't be hiring their properties to them every summer. Of course Cambridge is a wonderful, ancient institution with world-class staff and students, but they are just as keen to make money as these summer schools.

If you genuinely think it'll be interesting for you to attend and your parents are willing to pay for it, do it by all means. It's your choice (and your parents' money) and nobody has right to stop you,
But just don't expect it may give you any benefit or advantage in application to Cambridge because it really won't.
The University is actually a bit annoyed by those kinds of private summer schools/tutoring companies/websites that use their name, pretending they have some connection with the University and/or they'd give you some edge on the application, to prey on unsuspecting applicants (and their parents) .
Reply 37
I agree with most of you here that these summer schools are out for profit, and are little more than glorified activity camps with a massive price tag. But that doesn't solve the OP's problem of where to find a good academic programme in the summer if he/she has the good fortune to be able to afford the price tag. Sutton Trust is over subscribed and for UK residents only, Cambridge Institute for Continuing Education is for undergraduates and I believe the OP is younger. Any suggestions anyone? My tuppence worth is that we tried an IB course at St Clare's in Oxford and it was just OK, not terrible, not life-changing.
Reply 38
Original post by PJDK
But that doesn't solve the OP's problem of where to find a good academic programme in the summer

OP was asking in 2016, I think they solved it for themselves :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PJDK
If Cambridge Universities was truly annoyed by these schools they wouldn't be hiring their properties to them every summer. Of course Cambridge is a wonderful, ancient institution with world-class staff and students, but they are just as keen to make money as these summer schools.

Unfortunately, in this situation, it highlights the difference between the university and the Colleges. They are separate legal entities and the Colleges are all independent charities with an obligation to operate as such. As charities, they have a legal obligation to maximise income generation from their resources to achieve their charitable objects (roughly the futherrance of education and research) and their primary resource to do that is their accommodation/catering/lecturing spaces available between terms. Thus the situation is that the University can disapprove all it wants, the College Bursars cannot ignore the financial opportunity.

The Pembroke/Kings programme is pretty much the only official scheme (Pembroke also run a highly competitive exchange scheme for those already at Uni). ICE is for adults, I'm not sure how they'd manage with a minor attending. It runs everything from evening classes to Masters programmes, but in quite niche areas.

Latest

Trending

Trending