The Student Room Group

In your opinion, who's the best band of all time?

The Beatles

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That's a pretty tough one but I would have to go with U2.
Definitely not the Beatles.
Reply 3
Simon and Garfunkel
Queen wins hands down! Everyone knows at least one Queen song. :dancing:
Mcfly
Original post by petrblak
Queen wins hands down! Everyone knows at least one Queen song. :dancing:

lol
Reply 7
One direction
Original post by Wilfred Little
Definitely not the Beatles.

Who's the best band of all time in your opinion? You haven't given an answer yet! :wink:
Original post by georgiapullmanxx
Who's the best band of all time in your opinion? You haven't given an answer yet! :wink:

I'm not sure there is one, loads of bands you could argue for. The question is too simplistic.
the beatles
Ngl I love the Neighbourhood and HUNNY. Yall should check them out
In terms of mass influence on popular culture / other bands, The Beatles.

But they were fortunate to be at the start. There have been some very special bands at the same time and since too. Paul McCartney has been a fan of Crowded House for instance. REM and Radiohead are certainly greats, The Verve, The Stone Roses.

Something I notice about The Beatles is that they never really made a song that was a forerunner to 1980s music. In that respect, they were not as 'before their time' as some people imagine. Separately, they were far patchier, apart from Lennon. Harrison's solo work is mostly overrrated.
(edited 5 years ago)
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Reply 14
Panic at the disco or Shinee, or BTS
Little Mix, second best Fifth Harmony
Original post by Picnic1
In terms of mass influence on popular culture / other bands, The Beatles.

But they were fortunate to be at the start. There have been some very special bands at the same time and since too. Paul McCartney has been a fan of Crowded House for instance. REM and Radiohead are certainly greats, The Verve, The Stone Roses.

Something I notice about The Beatles is that they never really made a song that was a forerunner to 1980s music. In that respect, they were not as 'before their time' as some people imagine. Separately, they were far patchier, apart from Lennon. Harrison's solo work is mostly overrrated.

Hmm Helter Skelter doesn't sound like it's stuck in a sixties cul de sac IMO

and obvs by the 90's there was a very successful beatles soundalike band

Original post by Joinedup
Hmm Helter Skelter doesn't sound like it's stuck in a sixties cul de sac IMO

and obvs by the 90's there was a very successful beatles soundalike band

I always think of Helter Skelter (which I have grown to love - it initially seemed too try hard to be rocking to me) as more of a prototype of the 1970s but I guess that the 1980s will have had heavy metal like it, it's just that I think heavy metal wasn't really as popular in the UK in the 1980s as it might have been, say, in the USA. The UK, of course, had a lot of artists in the 1980s as a proportion of worldwide talent. I'm really saying that The Beatles didn't do anything particularly proto-new romantic or proto- new wave. Although I'm sure there are songs that could be argued to be so!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 18
Van Halen - The Dave Roth years
Queen, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Blink-182

Quick Reply

Latest