The Student Room Group
Ulster University
Ulster University
Visit website

Human Nutrition - anyone doing/done it?

I've applied for human nutrition at Coleraine, my primary interest at the moment would be anything to do with performance nutrition, or related to cardiovascular health. I love nutrition, but I have some concerns about studying it - I don't really want to do a four year degree and then be told to get into the field I want or to get a decent job, I need a masters. I'm also a little put off by the fact that nutritionist isn't a protected term, and getting a degree in a different subject followed by a diploma in nutrition could be just as well recognised!

Anyone any advice or experience?

Scroll to see replies

Hey :smile: I applied for human nutrition at Coleraine too! From what I know there is loads of jobs available out there for nutrition graduates without having to do a masters etc. Especially in areas like the food industry! Plus anyone I know who's went to Coleraine loves it there and has good things to say about the uni!
Ulster University
Ulster University
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you! I've been told there are jobs in the food industry and the year placement is brilliant for giving you experience, some students even leave with job offers! But I'm less interested in the industry side, more interested in clinical/performance side of things, and tutors have told me I'd probably need a masters to progress. Applied for physiotherapy and physiology as well, so just waiting now!
Original post by gi11y
Thank you! I've been told there are jobs in the food industry and the year placement is brilliant for giving you experience, some students even leave with job offers! But I'm less interested in the industry side, more interested in clinical/performance side of things, and tutors have told me I'd probably need a masters to progress. Applied for physiotherapy and physiology as well, so just waiting now!

It's so hard knowing what course is the right one to choose! Good luck, hope you get offers for the courses!
If you're interested in the clinical side of things, then dietetics would be a better choice of course.
Reply 5
I'm also doing Human Nutrition in September! I'm also worried about getting a job after but I think it helps that our course is accredited by the Association for Nutrition. I think I plan to do a postgraduate degree anyway; maybe into teaching or Dietetics but I'll wait and see how the next few years go.
Original post by Niall1864
I'm also doing Human Nutrition in September! I'm also worried about getting a job after but I think it helps that our course is accredited by the Association for Nutrition. I think I plan to do a postgraduate degree anyway; maybe into teaching or Dietetics but I'll wait and see how the next few years go.

Hey:smile: Are you going to study at Ulster?
Reply 7
Original post by Lostlaura
Hey:smile: Are you going to study at Ulster?

Yeah I am! I took a gap year so I already goy my offer for Human nutrition so I'm starting in Ulster in September! Are you going to Ulster as well?
Yeah I am! I took a gap year so I already goy my offer for Human nutrition so I'm starting in Ulster in September! Are you going to Ulster as well?

Yeah I've got a conditional offer! I'm gonna put their human nutrition as my first choice then food and nutrition as my insurance. It makes me less nervous to know that there's other people who have taking gap years etc ( i repeated a year) as I was scared of being the odd one out😂 The uni seems great and everyone I've met at opens days seems really friendly so I'm really excited 😊 Have you thought about accommodation yet?
Reply 9
Yeah I've got a conditional offer! I'm gonna put their human nutrition as my first choice then food and nutrition as my insurance. It makes me less nervous to know that there's other people who have taking gap years etc ( i repeated a year) as I was scared of being the odd one out😂 The uni seems great and everyone I've met at opens days seems really friendly so I'm really excited 😊 Have you thought about accommodation yet?

Aw that's good, I thought I'd be the only one as well older as well 😅 I'm from dungiven area so I just planned to travel everyday cause it's cheaper. Do you plan on staying in halls? Well at least I've met someone one my course now!
Aw that's good, I thought I'd be the only one as well older as well 😅 I'm from dungiven area so I just planned to travel everyday cause it's cheaper. Do you plan on staying in halls? Well at least I've met someone one my course now!

I'm from the magherafelt area, so I'm just down the glenshane from you 😂😂 I was thinking of staying in halls but I'm not sure what ones, cause I think it would be a lot handier than traveling everyday!
I'm from the magherafelt area, so I'm just down the glenshane from you 😂😂 I was thinking of staying in halls but I'm not sure what ones, cause I think it would be a lot handier than traveling everyday!

Yeah you save a lot of money at home I think and at least there you get decent food 😂 I'm a bit worried about the whole social side of uni and making friends if I'm staying at home but it just makes more sense for me to
Yeah you save a lot of money at home I think and at least there you get decent food 😂 I'm a bit worried about the whole social side of uni and making friends if I'm staying at home but it just makes more sense for me to

It's all about the food 😂😂😂 halls is a rip off but anybody I've talked to has loved staying there and I love the north coast so I wouldn't mind living there for a while! Plus I think I'm more likely not too miss class if I'm only five minutes away! I think you'll be fine with the social side cause you could still get involved in the social events etc
It's all about the food 😂😂😂 halls is a rip off but anybody I've talked to has loved staying there and I love the north coast so I wouldn't mind living there for a while! Plus I think I'm more likely not too miss class if I'm only five minutes away! I think you'll be fine with the social side cause you could still get involved in the social events etc

Yeah my friend goes to Queens and she has to pay £125 a week which is mad! Ulster uni isn't that expensive i don't think. I was asking about the timetable for our course and apparently it's like 3 days in class and then there's usually group work you'd do the other days so I'm sure we'll all get a chance to get to know each other that way as well!
Yeah my friend goes to Queens and she has to pay £125 a week which is mad! Ulster uni isn't that expensive i don't think. I was asking about the timetable for our course and apparently it's like 3 days in class and then there's usually group work you'd do the other days so I'm sure we'll all get a chance to get to know each other that way as well!

Belfast is a lot more expensive than coleraine and it's even worse across the water! I'm sure you'll get to meet plenty of people during classes, I think we have a lot of classes with other courses in the first year like dietetics etc have you met anyone else who's doing the course in September?
Belfast is a lot more expensive than coleraine and it's even worse across the water! I'm sure you'll get to meet plenty of people during classes, I think we have a lot of classes with other courses in the first year like dietetics etc have you met anyone else who's doing the course in September?

Yeah a lot of our modules are the same as the Food and Nutrition course. Nah I don't know anyone yet. Have you met anyone? Did you go to the biomed open day that was there last saturday?
Yeah a lot of our modules are the same as the Food and Nutrition course. Nah I don't know anyone yet. Have you met anyone? Did you go to the biomed open day that was there last saturday?

Naw I haven't met anyone either. Yeah I was at the applicant day on Saturday. Did you go to it? I went to the taster day and I think it was a lot more informative than Saturday!
Naw I haven't met anyone either. Yeah I was at the applicant day on Saturday. Did you go to it? I went to the taster day and I think it was a lot more informative than Saturday!

Naw I was working so I couldn't go to either of those :frown: What was the taster day like?
Naw I was working so I couldn't go to either of those :frown: What was the taster day like?

We got to sit in lectures and got too meet current students, which was really good as we could ask them different questions plus we got to see around the labs and where they carry out some of the research they do!
We got to sit in lectures and got too meet current students, which was really good as we could ask them different questions plus we got to see around the labs and where they carry out some of the research they do!

I really wish I could've went to that! But aw well. I'm really excited to get started in September and at least I kind of know one person who'll be there haha

Quick Reply

Latest