The Student Room Group

Getting onto a nursing degree

I'm looking to do a degree in children's nursing after college (the degree would begin in 2018) and I was wondering if anyone could help me with what I could do to strengthen my application as it is something I really want to do! I am about to apply at the hospital in my area to do some work shadowing (although you can't do it in pediatrics's until you are 18) and I was wondering if anyone could suggest any other work experience which could help my application?
Original post by emmamariekitty
I'm looking to do a degree in children's nursing after college (the degree would begin in 2018) and I was wondering if anyone could help me with what I could do to strengthen my application as it is something I really want to do! I am about to apply at the hospital in my area to do some work shadowing (although you can't do it in pediatrics's until you are 18) and I was wondering if anyone could suggest any other work experience which could help my application?

Hi!
Well done for thinking ahead!

Have you looked at joining st John ambulance or the red cross?
Amazing to help with learning first aid and clinical skills as well as helping to improve your people skills etc.
You could always look at volunteering with after school clubs or reading clubs etc too.
Anything that involves the public (doesn't have to children) will help your application.
Your personal statement needs to reflect what you've learnt from your volunteering etc and what it has shown to you. What have you taken from it? What skills has it given you? What areas has it improved? What have you realised about yourself?

Keep up to date with nhs news and healthcare news too.
Look at why you have chosen children over the other fields.
Best of luck 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deviant182
Hi!
Well done for thinking ahead!

Have you looked at joining st John ambulance or the red cross?
Amazing to help with learning first aid and clinical skills as well as helping to improve your people skills etc.
You could always look at volunteering with after school clubs or reading clubs etc too.
Anything that involves the public (doesn't have to children) will help your application.
Your personal statement needs to reflect what you've learnt from your volunteering etc and what it has shown to you. What have you taken from it? What skills has it given you? What areas has it improved? What have you realised about yourself?

Keep up to date with nhs news and healthcare news too.
Look at why you have chosen children over the other fields.
Best of luck 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is such a useful reply, thank you so much! I'll definitely look into st Johns ambulance and the red cross. I'll also try to look at after school clubs and other things like that.

I'm thinking of maybe keeping a diary of work experience and what I've learnt from it as I go along so it'll all be there for my application.

Thank you for your help :smile:
Reply 3
As well as after school clubs, you could write to schools, my mum is a first aider at a primary school and she comes accross A LOT of injuries which you may benefit from.

I would say it almost does not matter what you do, any experience in anything will make your application stronger but of course the more relivant the better.

Another thing I would say is do additional training. I do not know what all the programmes are called but I think theres one called heart start and you can look into getting first aid certificates etc
Basically, anything that improves your "people skills ". Perhaps even your free time needs to be centered around social activities. Because there does not exist a nurse that doesn't deal with people.
Original post by shawn_o1
Basically, anything that improves your "people skills ". Perhaps even your free time needs to be centered around social activities. Because there does not exist a nurse that doesn't deal with people.

Thank you for your advice. My boss is currently helping me work on my people skills at my weekend job but I will also look into other things I could do too!
Original post by Tom3198
As well as after school clubs, you could write to schools, my mum is a first aider at a primary school and she comes accross A LOT of injuries which you may benefit from.

I would say it almost does not matter what you do, any experience in anything will make your application stronger but of course the more relivant the better.

Another thing I would say is do additional training. I do not know what all the programmes are called but I think theres one called heart start and you can look into getting first aid certificates etc

Thank you for your advice. I'm going to write to my old primary school and see if I could do some work experience for a week there when I have study leave.

I'll also look into the additional training, I didn't really know you could do these actually :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest