The Student Room Group

Rent Payment Issue.

Hey,

I have reapplied for student finance, but due to parents getting new jobs, I am no longer able to afford my rent at my University. I rent with a private landlord, and I am not allowed to leave my contract unless I find someone who is willing to replace me.

I was wondering if there is any legal standing with this, and if I am able to leave the contract without having to find a replacement?

Thanks,
Josh
Original post by Josh98016
Hey,

I have reapplied for student finance, but due to parents getting new jobs, I am no longer able to afford my rent at my University. I rent with a private landlord, and I am not allowed to leave my contract unless I find someone who is willing to replace me.

I was wondering if there is any legal standing with this, and if I am able to leave the contract without having to find a replacement?

Thanks,
Josh

If your parents new jobs mean their income has increased and your student grant has fallen then they are meant to make up that shortfall.

If you have signed a contract then believe it or not you are bound by it. That is the whole point of reaching the agreement and signing it.

You dont tell me when the contract is for and how long. Is it to start in 2017 when you start uni or has it already started?

In any event it is your responsibility to pay as agreed unless the LL has breached in some way. he is willing to let you get out of your obligation if you find a replacement. That is quite standard. If he wanted to release you totally from the contract he could, but he is under no obligation to.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
If your parents new jobs mean their income has increased and your student grant has fallen then they are meant to make up that shortfall.

If you have signed a contract then believe it or not you are bound by it. That is the whole point of reaching the agreement and signing it.

You dont tell me when the contract is for and how long. Is it to start in 2017 when you start uni or has it already started?

In any event it is your responsibility to pay as agreed unless the LL has breached in some way. he is willing to let you get out of your obligation if you find a replacement. That is quite standard. If he wanted to release you totally from the contract he could, but he is under no obligation to.

There's not a chance that my parents would be able to make up the difference. I've asked them and they've said that if they could then they would- they have 2 other children to look after. I'll be starting my second year in September and the contract is due to start at the end of August.
There's not a chance that my parents would be able to make up the difference. I've asked them and they've said that if they could then they would- they have 2 other children to look after. I'll be starting my second year in September and the contract is due to start at the end of August.

You have plenty of time to find a replacement. presumably you will have to suspend your studies or commute? Offer a discount if you really have to, but i think you will be fine.
Reply 4
You have plenty of time to find a replacement. presumably you will have to suspend your studies or commute? Offer a discount if you really have to, but i think you will be fine.

Suspending my studies still leaves me obliged to pay the rent though. I'm more than happy to commute, there's only a £200 difference in what I would be getting depending on whether I live at home or not' travelling is really the only option. I just need to shift my landlord.
Suspending my studies still leaves me obliged to pay the rent though. I'm more than happy to commute, there's only a £200 difference in what I would be getting depending on whether I live at home or not' travelling is really the only option. I just need to shift my landlord.

The LL can release you of he wants, but cant see why he should. Why is you finding a replacement such a big deal?
Reply 6
The LL can release you of he wants, but cant see why he should. Why is you finding a replacement such a big deal?

Finding a replacement is literally the only way I can get out my contract.

You arent listening to what I am telling you.

1. The LL has discretion to release you. there is no incentive for them to do so.
2. If the LL is in fundamental breach.

Why is finding a replacement such a big deal? You signed a contract. You are over 18 which means you are held accountable as an adult for things you sign.
read the contract to see if there is any termination clause that would alow you to end it. (unlikely).

Speak to your landlord and explain to him and ask if there's any way he'd be prepared to let you leave the contract - it may still be early enough for him to find another tenant himself. Some landlords would prefer to do this than risk you defaulting on rent and having to pursue you through the court system for the money.

If he says no then speak to your flatmates, coursemates, society friends, anyone and everyone you know and start asking if there's anyone who needs a flat. Get people to ask around. You can also let your accommodation service know you need a replacement tenant in case they can refer someone and think about putting up a few notices around the uni.

There's no way out other than a replacement or the landlord agreeing so you may as well start taking some positive action to try and find a new tenant.

EDIT: I'd also suggest you start looking for a job as that might help you pay the rent if you need to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending