The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

at uni, they should tell you to expect to clean toilets and hoover everyday during pre-reg also to expect that there will be people trying to get you sacked from day one due to skin colour, religion or people just being dicks
Original post by quasa
at uni, they should tell you to expect to clean toilets and hoover everyday during pre-reg also to expect that there will be people trying to get you sacked from day one due to skin colour, religion or people just being dicks

Locums have it tougher though. Usually the regular pharmacists leave all the **** for the locums to do. Like imagine if the workday was from 8 am to 10 pm, the pharmacist would piss about from 8 am to 2 pm, locum would come in at 2 pm. Then the regular pharmacist will run off somewhere and swipe out at 4 pm (after leaving all the work for the locum to do).
Original post by sachinisgod
Similar reasons to a lot pf people, Medicine applicant had to put it down as a back up. I knew at that time the profession was not what it used to be 20 years ago and maybe i could use the degree to get into industry. The university made it out that being a pharmacist was the best thing in the world. Only after working for an independent pharmacy for every summer i realised how bad the profession is and its going to get even worse.

Thats why I am encouraging kids to research about it before they decide to go ahead as there is way more information available out there now than there ever was to help make the right choice.

So you didn't do Biomedical Science?
Original post by xx_holly_xx
So you didn't do Biomedical Science?

well no..
Supply and Demand.

The market is over saturated with pharmacists, a lot of them people who wanted to do medicine. Every university in the country (nearly) now offers Pharmacy. You are churning out tons of pharmacy graduates into a system which is shutting down pharmacies.

So this is just the beginning my friend, I say it gets worse over the next 3-4 years when the real cuts on the NHS funding come in. I see the average locum rate dropping to £17 an hour, an extreme rates going from £11 an hour to £22 an hour.

as it is a lot of hospital bank jobs I saw advertised on NHS jobs have had their pay slashed from £26-31/hour to £19-22/hour).

additionally all major chains, minus asda and potentially boots/well have capped pharmacists at a most of £19/hour. on top of that most employers have stopped paying for travel, advanced and enhanced services
well no..

Sorry, I keep thinking you are someone that I know. I probably shouldn't try and prod more information out of you.

If you went to Medway School of Pharmacy, I think I know who you are.
Original post by quasa
as it is a lot of hospital bank jobs I saw advertised on NHS jobs have had their pay slashed from £26-31/hour to £19-22/hour).

additionally all major chains, minus asda and potentially boots/well have capped pharmacists at a most of £19/hour. on top of that most employers have stopped paying for travel, advanced and enhanced services

The problem is (nearly anyone) can become a pharmacist. If you achieve standard grades at A Level, you can walk into one of the lower ranked pharmacy schools. If you work hard during then, you can come out with a degree.

They need quotas, like medicine.
Locums have it tougher though. Usually the regular pharmacists leave all the **** for the locums to do. Like imagine if the workday was from 8 am to 10 pm, the pharmacist would piss about from 8 am to 2 pm, locum would come in at 2 pm. Then the regular pharmacist will run off somewhere and swipe out at 4 pm (after leaving all the work for the locum to do).

so so true that. its especially bad when methadone patients are involved and the regular pharmacists a) dont keep the scripts anywhere, b) dont make up the doses in advanced and c) are soo lazy they leave the CD registers blank for weeks at a time and expect the locum to fill it in (this is illegal btw as law requires you to do it within 24 hours)
Sorry, I keep thinking you are someone that I know. I probably shouldn't try and prod more information out of you.

If you went to Medway School of Pharmacy, I think I know who you are.

Lol i just meant i said I was a final year pharmacy student so i didnt get why you thought I did Biomed and I dont go to Medway :smile:
Original post by quasa
so so true that. its especially bad when methadone patients are involved and the regular pharmacists a) dont keep the scripts anywhere, b) dont make up the doses in advanced and c) are soo lazy they leave the CD registers blank for weeks at a time and expect the locum to fill it in (this is illegal btw as law requires you to do it within 24 hours)

What's worse is the malaria service. Some pharmacists get the dispensers to fill in the online consultation form (which is illegal) and usually after 24 hours (again illegal). They do it because they are too lazy and we are usually short staffed.
What's worse is the malaria service. Some pharmacists get the dispensers to fill in the online consultation form (which is illegal) and usually after 24 hours (again illegal). They do it because they are too lazy and we are usually short staffed.

ruddy heck. i thought what people do with MURs were bad. In my case I have lost a lot of work due to professional integrity / doing the right thing (ie I always do the legal thing, except for livestreaming without a tv license back when it was legal and driving without insurance when it was legal).

eitherway I have hated community since I was at uni, and as I am sure I may or may not have posted on TSR before, I was planning on doing GEM straight after pre-reg, however due to cameron and his twits tripling tuition fees and student finance not helping GEM students out till last year, I was stuck.

at the end of the day, I am only doing locum work as I want to do something else that isnt community and am waiting until I am eligible to apply for other avenues
(edited 7 years ago)
@xx_holly_xx

out of curiosity, are you and @MarketsMove the same person...you both have similar backgrounds
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by quasa
out of curiosity, are you and @MarketsMove the same person...you both have similar backgrounds

Must be, that user has posted on topics before saying they were Phd in finance and only working in a pharmacy temporarily
Original post by quasa

No, this is my only account on TSR

But I see what you mean, haha, maybe a lot of PhDs need extra money!
No, this is my only account on TSR

But I see what you mean, haha, maybe a lot of PhDs need extra money!

weird how you both are working as asda dispensers and both are quiting in march
Original post by quasa
weird how you both are working as asda dispensers and both are quiting in march

I know what a coincidence (serious, this is my only account on TSR). I find it strange as well.

ASDA in general is bad, I think everyone would quit if they can.
I know what a coincidence (serious, this is my only account on TSR). I find it strange as well.

ASDA in general is bad, I think everyone would quit if they can.

In a way I agree but in fairness, Id say asda is probably my fav large chain as the rest are worse from personal experience (trust me). the absolute worst however is working as a non-clinical community pharmacist at a GP surgery as you have to deal with 800-1200 items a day in a 16 hour day and get paid low rates (the ones I have seen / gained experience in pay £15-19/hour and no additional expenses for 16 straight hours)

the clinical/practice based pharmacist however dont do any dispensing and in fact do more or less what GPs do minus diagnosis (outside minor ailments/area of expertise) and minor surgical interventions and their pay essentially matches what they are doing (ie similar to GPs in hourly wages, however they work 20 hours a week instead of 40 odd GPs so overall pay is ~ half of GPs).
Yes I am a final year student but I have got into a graduate scheme in the Big 4 so leaving pharmacy for good,

What area is your grad scheme in?
I'm also interested in grad schemes (looking st audit/tax) but first doing pre-reg as I might as well.
Original post by quasa
In a way I agree but in fairness, Id say asda is probably my fav large chain as the rest are worse from personal experience (trust me). the absolute worst however is working as a non-clinical community pharmacist at a GP surgery as you have to deal with 800-1200 items a day in a 16 hour day and get paid low rates (the ones I have seen / gained experience in pay £15-19/hour and no additional expenses for 16 straight hours)

the clinical/practice based pharmacist however dont do any dispensing and in fact do more or less what GPs do minus diagnosis (outside minor ailments/area of expertise) and minor surgical interventions and their pay essentially matches what they are doing (ie similar to GPs in hourly wages, however they work 20 hours a week instead of 40 odd GPs so overall pay is ~ half of GPs).

I'm just going to join a big bank. Pharmacy seems messed up. How the hell can you do 1200 items in 16 hours, that would kill everyone. You are working in a factory!
I'm just going to join a big bank. Pharmacy seems messed up. How the hell can you do 1200 items in 16 hours, that would kill everyone. You are working in a factory!

try mcdonalds in oxford street :wink:

but in seriousness, community pharmacy is a load of **** and whilst Im annoyed I am not getting much work/money (both parents unemployed and I am essentially helping them out) I am so glad I am not working due to the hatred I have for community pharmacy.

sad reality is that applications for jobs, unis, etc isnt all year round / can start anytime so I am literally playing a waiting game for god knows how long (essentially postgrad pharmacy courses, certain GEM schools and jobs / other avenues require me to be a registered pharmacist for 2 years before applying to them...I have only been a registered pharmacist for 16 months as of tomorrow - 8 months to go...)

Latest

Trending

Trending