The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Hopefuls 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Science_Girl
Joint 2nd at the moment (subject to change...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. Joint with which uni? Can I know your 5 UCAS choices?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Mikhail1710
Thanks. What are the other unis on your list? Cheers.:smile:

1. is oxford but obvs rejected
2. LSE
3. St andrews but it and lse swap around
4. warwick
5. edinburgh
Original post by Lauren1498x
1. is oxford but obvs rejected
2. LSE
3. St andrews but it and lse swap around
4. warwick
5. edinburgh

Thanks man. LSE and St. Andrews swap around? Really?
Wow, SA is above warwick? and even Edinburgh???
Which course are you trying for ?
I did not know how really well regarded is SA. What is the reason though, that SA is 2nd (or 3rd) on everybody's list??:K::angelblush:
Thanks man. LSE and St. Andrews swap around? Really?
Wow, SA is above warwick? and even Edinburgh???
Which course are you trying for ?
I did not know how really well regarded is SA. What is the reason though, that SA is 2nd (or 3rd) on everybody's list??:K::angelblush:

Warwick is highly regarded for its business courses/maths. That's why it ranks so so highly as it's a target uni in those departments. Edinburgh ranks highly in the world rankings because of its research, it doesn't do so highly in the uk. I also know many people who go there and don't rate it. St. Andrews is ranked 5th in the U.K. I'm applying for economics & history at St. Andrews.
Warwick is highly regarded for its business courses/maths. That's why it ranks so so highly as it's a target uni in those departments. Edinburgh ranks highly in the world rankings because of its research, it doesn't do so highly in the uk. I also know many people who go there and don't rate it. St. Andrews is ranked 5th in the U.K. I'm applying for economics & history at St. Andrews.

Thankyou... I did not know that about Uni of Edinburgh:frown:. I did not apply to Warwick. Edinburgh has a very high rank though. What is your take on Economics at Uni of Manchester, compared to the unis you named above?

All the best:smile:
See you at St. Andrews.
Thankyou... I did not know that about Uni of Edinburgh:frown:. I did not apply to Warwick. Edinburgh has a very high rank though. What is your take on Economics at Uni of Manchester, compared to the unis you named above?

See you at St. Andrews.

you've asked me about this on another thread, i think it was the Edinburgh one. I've already said all I know. Don't take anyone else's word and research yourself because only you will know what you like the sound of!

See you at St. Andrews.

Honestly, it's getting a bit annoying that you're always asking about how well respected Econ is at one university in comparison to other unis. I've defended you once in the St A - Ask A Current Student thread because I do think that sharing opinions and personal experiences is really important. But asking the same question over and over again is not going to help you, especially when you ask people who didn't even apply to Manchester about Econ in Manchester. I don't get it, what do you want to hear? It's not that hard to look up uni rankings. You'll see that in many UK rankings, St A is in the top 5 (even top 3 in some rankings), so I don't really understand why you are that surprised that it has a very good reputation...
And I also want to add that I feel like you're a tad too focused on reputation and ranks. St A seems to be a very unique university. Living in such a small town with a tight community and no city life ('the bubble') certainly is not for everybody. So you shouldn't only base your choice on how well-respected the course in St A is in comparison to other unis. Edinburgh and St Andrews are both very well-respected unis so academically speaking, you'll be fine either way.
Original post by GermanIRhopeful
Honestly, it's getting a bit annoying that you're always asking about how well respected Econ is at one university in comparison to other unis. I've defended you once in the St A - Ask A Current Student thread because I do think that sharing opinions and personal experiences is really important. But asking the same question over and over again is not going to help you, especially when you ask people who didn't even apply to Manchester about Econ in Manchester. I don't get it, what do you want to hear? It's not that hard to look up uni rankings. You'll see that in many UK rankings, St A is in the top 5 (even top 3 in some rankings), so I don't really understand why you are that surprised that it has a very good reputation...
And I also want to add that I feel like you're a tad too focused on reputation and ranks. St A seems to be a very unique university. Living in such a small town with a tight community and no city life ('the bubble':wink: certainly is not for everybody. So you shouldn't only base your choice on how well-respected the course in St A is in comparison to other unis. Edinburgh and St Andrews are both very well-respected unis so academically speaking, you'll be fine either way.

Sorry man. Did not mean it like that.
you've asked me about this on another thread, i think it was the Edinburgh one. I've already said all I know. Don't take anyone else's word and research yourself because only you will know what you like the sound of!

Sorry.
Sorry man. Did not mean it like that.

I will also like to add that as a fellow international student (I remember that you are international and not EU I think, not sure though) I understand how hard it is to find information about universities abroad especially when ranking systems are so unreliable. This is what TSR is here for, for people to share their experiences and expertise in universities in the UK. (It is why I joined and looking at the questions you ask, I think this is why you joined as well)

However, asking the same question 20+ times in different threads does not help you understand about the universities any further than personal opinions and sometimes screwed up perceptions of the prestige of university equaling the quality of the course. The crux of the matter is that all the universities that you applied to are prestigious (Although rankings may not display this and there are reasons why St Andrews is so "low"-ranked in global rankings which have something to do with research output and size of university- this is why Brown University in the US is so low-ranked as well)

Look at the courses and the modules that you can take in each university. Each university teaches a course with the same course name in different ways and has different course structures. Oxbridge is the notable example, with its world-famous tutorial system, but some schools offer more lectures or more seminars. Some may even offer tutorials (albeit not as frequent). Because all of your universities are "prestigious" choose the course and the environment that fits you more. @GermanIRhopeful outlined the uniqueness of the St Andrews experience very well but like he/she said it is not for everybody. Think about what you want to get out of your university experience and stop being so fixated on "prestige" and job prospects because I can assure you that all of the universities that you applied to has excellent job prospects and are definitely "prestigious". What matters more is what you do with your degree (internships during breaks... study abroad... undergraduate research etc...) not where you are going for the degree... especially when all the schools that you applied to are sublime.
Don't apologise, do the research on the universities that you applied to! After all, it is your life and you need to take initiative on where you want to go and what you want to do. :smile:

I apologise about any grammar mistakes because it is 4:30 am in the morning here but I thought I would just write this post after seeing all of your posts.
Accepted my chemistry unconditional :smile:
Original post by mayushii29

congrats!! :smile:
Original post by mayushii29

didn't you phone the chemistry department a week ago? :smile:
It's finally March so we can definitely say that we'll hear back from St A this month! :smile:
It's finally March so we can definitely say that we'll hear back from St A this month! :smile:

:yep: :woo: :party:

I am most likely firming St Andrews on Friday :smile: Good luck everyone!
Original post by wolfmoon88
:yep: :woo: :party:

I am most likely firming St Andrews on Friday :smile: Good luck everyone!

So exciting! :yes:
Do you have an unconditional offer and if not, what is your insurance choice? :smile:
So exciting! :yes:
Do you have an unconditional offer and if not, what is your insurance choice? :smile:

It is really exciting! :yep:

Conditional offer! :smile: My insurance choice is the University of Exeter (and the University of Melbourne in Australia :tongue:)
Original post by simone0110
didn't you phone the chemistry department a week ago? :smile:

Yeah 17th
Original post by simone0110
congrats!! :smile:

Thanks!!
Original post by wolfmoon88
I will also like to add that as a fellow international student (I remember that you are international and not EU I think, not sure though) I understand how hard it is to find information about universities abroad especially when ranking systems are so unreliable. This is what TSR is here for, for people to share their experiences and expertise in universities in the UK. (It is why I joined and looking at the questions you ask, I think this is why you joined as well)

However, asking the same question 20+ times in different threads does not help you understand about the universities any further than personal opinions and sometimes screwed up perceptions of the prestige of university equaling the quality of the course. The crux of the matter is that all the universities that you applied to are prestigious (Although rankings may not display this and there are reasons why St Andrews is so "low"-ranked in global rankings which have something to do with research output and size of university- this is why Brown University in the US is so low-ranked as well)

Look at the courses and the modules that you can take in each university. Each university teaches a course with the same course name in different ways and has different course structures. Oxbridge is the notable example, with its world-famous tutorial system, but some schools offer more lectures or more seminars. Some may even offer tutorials (albeit not as frequent). Because all of your universities are "prestigious" choose the course and the environment that fits you more. @GermanIRhopeful outlined the uniqueness of the St Andrews experience very well but like he/she said it is not for everybody. Think about what you want to get out of your university experience and stop being so fixated on "prestige" and job prospects because I can assure you that all of the universities that you applied to has excellent job prospects and are definitely "prestigious". What matters more is what you do with your degree (internships during breaks... study abroad... undergraduate research etc...) not where you are going for the degree... especially when all the schools that you applied to are sublime.
Don't apologise, do the research on the universities that you applied to! After all, it is your life and you need to take initiative on where you want to go and what you want to do. :smile:

I apologise about any grammar mistakes because it is 4:30 am in the morning here but I thought I would just write this post after seeing all of your posts.

Yes man. Thankyou and sorry once again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending