The Student Room Group

GES Summer Internship 2017

Has anybody else applied for this internship?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes. Kind of annoyed that I applied for the most competitive departments now.

Not sure how competitive this internship is because it's not that well advertised but they close it really quickly which indicates that a lot of people apply.
Reply 2
Original post by mrdan
Yes. Kind of annoyed that I applied for the most competitive departments now.

Not sure how competitive this internship is because it's not that well advertised but they close it really quickly which indicates that a lot of people apply.

Let me guess, did you apply to the Treasury and Transport?
Reply 3
Original post by raganosio
Let me guess, did you apply to the Treasury and Transport?

Treasury, Cabinet Office, OBR. I just thought that it wouldn't really matter, like if you are better than the people applying for one of the departments you ranked lower you would still get it if you were better than the other applicants, but it's probably not like that.
Reply 4
I wonder how long they take to process the applications
Reply 5
I received a reply today, anybody else?

Hi

Heard back too - got an interview with the GES. Did you get positive news?
Reply 7
Original post by sigma algebra
Hi

Heard back too - got an interview with the GES. Did you get positive news?

Does that email mean it is an interview? I got that DFT will contact me in a few weeks' time. What department are you?
Does that email mean it is an interview? I got that DFT will contact me in a few weeks' time. What department are you?

I think I got a different email to yours - I got one with a specific interview date. At the Treasury, I imagine it's going to be quite competitive (same with Transport I guess).
Reply 9
Original post by sigma algebra
I think I got a different email to yours - I got one with a specific interview date. At the Treasury, I imagine it's going to be quite competitive (same with Transport I guess).

That's wonderful! Yes I did not prioritise Treasury for that same reason but DFT was my third choice :biggrin:

I did not get a specific date; it only said somebody would get back to me in the next few weeks. When is your interview?

I guess different departments send different emails
(edited 7 years ago)
Interview at the OBR on 15 March (there's only one placement at the OBR).
Reply 11
Original post by Coombsy
Interview at the OBR on 15 March (there's only one placement at the OBR).

Well done! Working at the OBR would be really interesting. That will be hard but I assume they will interview a lot less people than other departments which have more placements will. My application was apparently successful at the sift stage and has been passed on to the ONS, which wasn't one of my top choices. I'm not really sure what this means but I'm guessing it means they are considering me for an interview.
Original post by mrdan
Well done! Working at the OBR would be really interesting. That will be hard but I assume they will interview a lot less people than other departments which have more placements will. My application was apparently successful at the sift stage and has been passed on to the ONS, which wasn't one of my top choices. I'm not really sure what this means but I'm guessing it means they are considering me for an interview.

Thanks! Yeah you would think that: each department interview a certain number of people for each place available. I'm not sure how they allocate people to a department. The OBR was my second choice behind the Treasury but there was a mix up about my eligibility so that may have had a part to play in my allocation too. I got an invite to interview the day after I was told I had been allocated to the OBR. Which choice was the ONS for you? May I ask what you are studying and which university you go to? :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Coombsy
Thanks! Yeah you would think that: each department interview a certain number of people for each place available. I'm not sure how they allocate people to a department. The OBR was my second choice behind the Treasury but there was a mix up about my eligibility so that may have had a part to play in my allocation too. I got an invite to interview the day after I was told I had been allocated to the OBR. Which choice was the ONS for you? May I ask what you are studying and which university you go to? :smile:

They confirmed my interview today. The ONS was my 7th choice I think, so quite far down, but I'm still very pleased that I got the interview. Economics at Nottingham, you?
Original post by mrdan
They confirmed my interview today. The ONS was my 7th choice I think, so quite far down, but I'm still very pleased that I got the interview. Economics at Nottingham, you?

Congrats, when is it? Economics at UCL.
Original post by mrdan

I've got an interview with the ONS too
Original post by Will.Pol.Econ
I've got an interview with the ONS too

Congrats, when is it?

Has anyone received a reply from the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs? I got an email last Tuesday saying I was successful at sift stage and will be considered for an interview.
I got an Interview at the NAO, anyone else? Also anyone know how competitive the interview stage is?
Original post by Student.OP
I got an Interview at the NAO, anyone else? Also anyone know how competitive the interview stage is?

Congrats, when is it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending