The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

ITMB Course

Is there anyone on this course that can give me information on lecture times and whether the course is worth it. Do the lecturers seem interested? I have heard the admin is pretty poor at QM as well? Any information would be appreciated
Hi, I'm currently in my second year at Manchester studying ITMB. I can't say about lecture times because that will depend on your timetable but i think I had about 20 contact hours a week when I was in the first year, which is a combination of lectures, seminars and workshops.

The lecturers are definitely interested and motivated to improve the courses and help out where they can.

If you have any other questions then feel free to message me. :smile:
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Hi Laura,

I've got an offer from Manchester to study ITMB, was just curious as to how much focus is on the IT side? Is the course more focused on business? Also curious as to how intense the maths side of the course is?

Original post by maisiemc96
Hi Laura,

I've got an offer from Manchester to study ITMB, was just curious as to how much focus is on the IT side? Is the course more focused on business? Also curious as to how intense the maths side of the course is?

Congratulations on receiving an offer! I think it's a great course!

I wouldn't say there is any maths on the course really. And I think it's about a 50/50 split between IT and business. In the first year in particular there are modules that you will share with all the management students also, so these are business modules (e.g economics, accounting, marketing) and then there are modules that are just with ITMB which are the IT modules, where there is a small amount of programming, databases and information systems.

Currently I'm in my second year and I think the split is probably about the same but that also depends on what modules you choose.

Anything else you'd like to know just shout! :smile:
Reply 4
hey
I am an international student and have got an offer to attend the ITMB course at Manchester starting 2017. As an international student, I don't know much about school and course reputations in the UK. I Was wondering if the ITMB course is viewed as an easy course (mickey mouse/soft course) or if it gives me a degree that will give good jobs (both inside and outside the UK)? Also if someone here is/has attended the course at Manchester, is the course based on oral or written assessments? ive heard that ITMB in Manchester is more over to the management business side than IT, is this the case?
Hey, congrats on the offer! ITMB is certainly not an ‘easy’ course, it can be very demanding at times. Manchester Business School is also recognised as one of the world’s leading business schools, therefore you would be joining a highly reputable school. One of the key advantages of studying ITMB is the amazing career prospects. It is much better than that of computer science related degrees. Employers are built into the course, so if you do well on the course the employers will spot you and could easily secure internships and job offers. The type of assessments varies for each course unit; however, majority involve some form of coursework and group work. In second year, there are a number of different presentations we have to deliver orally. I would say that the course is 50/50 IT and business. But I must mention that the IT side does not involve significant amounts of programing. Hope to see you here in September!

If you have any other questions, feel free to get in touch!

Jay :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks for answering👍🏼
Witch age range would you say the ITMB course consists of? Would it be better to take the ITMB with or without industrial experience?
Original post by Rikkepaul
Thanks for answering👍🏼
Witch age range would you say the ITMB course consists of? Would it be better to take the ITMB with or without industrial experience?

It's mostly people aged 18-21 in first year however, we some older students on our course too. But age doesn't really affect anything, everyone gets along really well and is friends with each other as we are quite a small course compared to the other degrees at the Business School. I would say choose industrial experience, as most people manage to secure a graduate job before they finish their degree, through doing well on their placement - making it really worthwhile!

Quick Reply

Latest