The Student Room Group

Imperial College- Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arjro
What do you think you have to do in order for a rejection at interview stage considering a 76% probability of getting an offer?

I.e. what would happen for a rejection to be given???

An interview, as many people have put it in the past, is a clean slate for the majority of applicants. Regardless of what you got in the BMAT or how many A Levels you are doing, an interview is an opportunity for you to show the interviewers, face-to-face, how much you really want the place and how passionate you can make yourself out to be in the 20 minutes you are in the room. So back to your question, I would say if one displays passion, determination and resilience when answering questions, as well as getting the balance right in their answers, I see no reason why they wouldn't receive an offer. Nervousness is an unavoidable flaw, and the interviewers themselves are aware of it. Ultimately, no other applicant was in the room but yourself and only you will know how well or how much better you could've done. Applicants who have been rejected in the past simply did not display the level of passion, intellect or well-roundness needed for such a course, and not for being too nervous. Worrying about the outcome of an interview is most definitely not going to make a difference to the actual outcome of the interview, so in the meantime, sit tight and watch your emails, because who knows, by next week you could be a medicine offer holder.
Good luck.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by oey99
I think it's a 64% chance, anyway in your interview they must see that you have strong motivation to do medicine and a realistic approach to medicine as a career must be strong too as far as I can remember

Thanks, did they tell you at the interview how long you will have to wait for? They told me 2-3 weeks but i know people like you and some others even got notifications in 6 days
For the interview this may help
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/267456/response/659392/attach/html/2/Shortlisting%20template.xls.html
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/267456/response/659392/attach/html/3/Interviewer%20template.xls.html

You definitely need to show a realistic approach to studying medicine as well as having a real motivation to studying medicine as those are the 2 most important factors they look for in the interview as quoted below from the FOI request
"All aspects of the candidate’s performance are considered and offers made on a case by case basis; however, no candidate who scores Moderate or Weak on the following two criteria are made an offer:
Motivation to study medicine
Realistic approach to medicine as a career "
As long as you are genuine and really show your passion for wanting to study Medicine then this should be alright :smile:
Also I was told by a fellow interviewee that the water they offer you is a test to see how anxious you are (as they mark you on this) and one interviewee in particular 'fell' for this test and was so anxious and shaking that they spilt the water all over themselves. I'm not sure how true this is but just as a side note!
Getting 4.5 in S1, 4.5 in S2 and 4.5A in S3, would that be enough for an interview??
Seems like a few interviews came out today. Fingers crossed for a few more tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by salma.m
Getting 4.5 in S1, 4.5 in S2 and 4.5A in S3, would that be enough for an interview??

People who have got lower have had interviews. So hopefully you will get one. Good luck!
Reply 1666
Original post by salma.m

I got exactly the same as you except 4.9 instead of 4.5 in S1, so pretty much identical. Let me know if you hear anything & fingers crossed!
Original post by 123456qwerty
People who have got lower have had interviews. So hopefully you will get one. Good luck!

Ahhh okay thank you very much!
Original post by rwuk
I got exactly the same as you except 4.9 instead of 4.5 in S1, so pretty much identical. Let me know if you hear anything & fingers crossed!

Hopefully it's good news for the rest of us , thank you very much!
Original post by oey99
Hello, I don't think whether you ask a question or not would affect the outcome of the interview. The interviewers are really friendly and they try their best to put you at ease. Yes the interview is very similar to the mock interview videos. My advice is to be yourself and don't rehearse answers. Just have a point or two that you want to make in your mind and try to answer on the spot. Good luck :smile:

Hey, can I ask what mock interview videos you're talking about? Need to get as much prep as possible. Thanks.
Original post by rwuk
Just now?

Nah, 11:05.
Any more new interviews today?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1672
Original post by rohit5148
Nah, 11:05.

AM?
Original post by superwomancool
Hey, can I ask what mock interview videos you're talking about? Need to get as much prep as possible. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/AQ1vn59Q0a8
Offer 11 pm last night, graduate, 6 days post-interview.

Thank you sooo much!:smile:
Thank you sooo much!:smile:

You're welcome! Good luck with your interview and just be yourself :smile:
Original post by rwuk
AM?

No, Imperial admissions staff run off coffee on coffee on coffee through the night.
Original post by kelzdestadz
You're welcome! Good luck with your interview and just be yourself :smile:

Thanks again!!:smile: If i'm correct you're a gap year student too right?
Thanks again!!:smile: If i'm correct you're a gap year student too right?

Indeed I am :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending