The Student Room Group

Would you recommend GCSE electronics?

I'm in year 9 and we've just been given an option of doing GCSE electronics as an optional GCSE. I'm a very good student and am in the top sets for everything, but is it worthwhile?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wouldn't recommend it to be honest, depends on your teacher really. There's a lot of coursework and you need to make sure you're on top of it regularly. There's not a lot of resources online to help with this subject as well, I'm not telling you to not do it but I just regret taking this option.
Reply 2
The previous poster is talking about a specification that is being replaced. The one you would take would involved only 20% 'coursework' and is new for teaching from September so no one has direct experience of it
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by nikhill
I wouldn't recommend it to be honest, depends on your teacher really. There's a lot of coursework and you need to make sure you're on top of it regularly. There's not a lot of resources online to help with this subject as well, I'm not telling you to not do it but I just regret taking this option.

Thank you, my teacher is very good and is the head of the department, so I'm not concerned about that and I'm very on top of homework so I don't think the coursework would be a problem
Original post by emma.101
I'm in year 9 and we've just been given an option of doing GCSE electronics as an optional GCSE. I'm a very good student and am in the top sets for everything, but is it worthwhile?

Do what you want! As long as you work hard you'll be fine! GCSE choices aren't very important... (unless you want to take that subject at a level!):smile:
Best of luck!x:h:
Reply 5
Original post by sunshine774
Do what you want! As long as you work hard you'll be fine! GCSE choices aren't very important... (unless you want to take that subject at a level!):smile:

Thank you! :h:
Reply 6

1. Is it Electronics or is it D&T: Electronic Products? They are two different courses.

2. What's the alternative options?

I have an electronics A Level but I don't have an electronics or a D&T: Electronic Products GCSE. Every college will allow students onto an electronics A Level course with a mathematics and either a science or physics GCSE.
Reply 7
Original post by Arran90
1. Is it Electronics or is it D&T: Electronic Products? They are two different courses.

I have an electronics A Level but I don't have an electronics or a D&T: Electronic Products GCSE. Every college will allow students onto an electronics A Level course with a mathematics and either a science or physics GCSE.

It's a electronics gcse
Reply 8
It's a electronics gcse

You have an opportunity to obtain a GCSE in quite a rare subject...
Thank you! :h:

You're welcome!x:h:
Original post by Arran90

Yes- but IN GENERAL you need or (it's strongly preferred to have that subject GCSE- e.g. at a B or A grade at least.) I don't know much about electronics but I told OP that because it's better to be on the safe side!:smile:
Original post by Arran90

DT (Electronic Products) is being discontinued and so the OP can't be doing it,
Yes- but IN GENERAL you need or (it's strongly preferred to have that subject GCSE- e.g. at a B or A grade at least.) I don't know much about electronics but I told OP that because it's better to be on the safe side!:smile:

That's not true for electronics A Level. I asked my electronics teacher at college about this. His preferences in order are:

1. GCSE or IGCSE in physics.

2. GCSE in triple science.

3. GCSE in double science, electronics, D&T electronic products, D&T systems and control.

The highest preference for the GCSE or IGCSE in physics is because they are the most rigorous, exam based, and mathematical subjects which helps provide reassurance that the student will be able to handle the demands of the A Level.

The GCSEs in electronics, D&T electronic products, D&T systems and control are less mathematical and more coursework oriented. The teacher considers them as elementary courses that exist more as a supplementary subject to triple science or physics rather than a solid foundation for the electronics A Level.
No. I wouldn't. Everyone at my school is failing the subject. But isn't the new subject a mix of Resistant Materials and Electronics?
Original post by asthenophobia
No. I wouldn't. Everyone at my school is failing the subject. But isn't the new subject a mix of Resistant Materials and Electronics?

The old one is as well tbh. Just finishing my coursework off now. Electronics is a good subject but if you don't like resistant materials don't take it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
The old one is as well tbh. Just finishing my coursework off now. Electronics is a good subject but if you don't like resistant materials don't take it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I took RM. Love it.

But added note to anyone thinking of it, it's a hell lot of coursework. I mean a 30 page Powerpoint with drawings, modelling and theory parts included.
I took RM. Love it.

But added note to anyone thinking of it, it's a hell lot of coursework. I mean a 30 page Powerpoint with drawings, modelling and theory parts included.

30 pages isn't too bad...my electronics is nearing on 50!
The new course has less coursework though so less to worry about :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
30 pages isn't too bad...my electronics is nearing on 50!
The new course has less coursework though so less to worry about :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ouch. I'd hate that. Although, I've seen Electronics Powerpoints and I think, from the ones I've seen, RM students pack theirs more. Like more on a page.
Ouch. I'd hate that. Although, I've seen Electronics Powerpoints and I think, from the ones I've seen, RM students pack theirs more. Like more on a page.

Mine isn't in PowerPoint so I can't say about that. My pages range from pages of solid text so you couldn't fit anything else on to a couple which were hand drawn then with typed annotations which were once a whole page but now have been condensed and barely cover half a page lol. I certainly couldn't condense it to 30 pages without losing a lot of marks though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
Mine isn't in PowerPoint so I can't say about that. My pages range from pages of solid text so you couldn't fit anything else on to a couple which were hand drawn then with typed annotations which were once a whole page but now have been condensed and barely cover half a page lol. I certainly couldn't condense it to 30 pages without losing a lot of marks though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay. Fair enough. All I can say is good luck with your coursework mark. Mine is due in tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Latest