The Student Room Group

The Nokia 3310 - Are you impressed?

Poll

Do you like the new Nokia 3310

It's 2017 and almost 17 years later, the Nokia 3310 is set to return, revised and redeveloped under a new manufacturer HMD Global after Nokia retired their mobile phone business for telecommunications. The 3310 is an iconic phone, remarkable for its durability and the game Snake. However, the new redeveloped 3310 has faced criticism as many people claim that HMD Global are simply wanting to cash in on the nostalgia of the old 3310 and has left people disappointed with the look, specs and feel of the phone.

At the top is the new Nokia 3310 and on the bottom is the old Nokia 3310 in the attached images below. The new one looks, in my opinion, like a child's phone. The colours are bright and striking but based on several videos I've watched, it looks plastic, cheap and not durable at all. Whilst it is nice the phone has kept some of its original features, i.e no wifi, Snake, revolves around texting and calling, I do feel as if the company had the intentions of making money more so than bringing out a new version of the phone that changed the world.

On the plus side, the new Nokia has a 2.5MP camera, which in today's standards is not decent and you can pick up the phone for the price tag of £41 (€49 roughly)

So, will you be picking one up? Do you love it, hate it, think it could have been improved? Tell us your opinions. The phone will be released sometime in the first quarter of 2017, so expect it to be released end of March, early April.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes yes, now just release the Nokia 8, because Apple and Samsung are getting boring now.
who is actually gonna buy that ****
Will buy it
Will be my burner phone though :teehee::innocent:
It's a modern dumbphone in the shape of a 3310, it's exactly what was expected. Anyone expecting more than that had their expectations set far too high.
It's one of those things that objectively, I literally would have no use for but in my heart I don't think I can live without it. Definitely buying one :tongue:
Original post by Paracosm

It's so ugly though!!! :noway:
Original post by Fox Corner
It's so ugly though!!! :noway:

:frown: I really want to play the new snake game!!
Reply 9
Only if it's Made In Finland
Reply 10
It might've been better, surely they could at least relaunch it with 3G like their other (more recent) candybar phones.
It's purpose is merely to get people interested in Nokia so that their new Android phones are more likely to sell.
Original post by Fadel
Only if it's Made In Finland

made in china by foxconn (ie the guys who are renowned for workers killing themselves due to apple / iDevices)
Reply 12
Does anyone know if it has WhatsApp capability? I'd be very tempted if it does.
Original post by Sae.HH

last I checked whatsapp stopped supporting symbian OS' (as well as older forms of android, windows 7.x and below and blackberry OS)
Original post by Hugs31
It might've been better, surely they could at least relaunch it with 3G like their other (more recent) candybar phones.
It's purpose is merely to get people interested in Nokia so that their new Android phones are more likely to sell.

this one has 4g and microUSB. it is selling for £40ish when it gets released however
Original post by Seleucidan
Yes yes, now just release the Nokia 8, because Apple and Samsung are getting boring now.

if they make it look like a 925 and stick a 41mp+ sensor in, ill grab it instantly. (based on 835 specs, as well as the original nokias issues with larger sensors/form factors, the largest theoretical sensors would be 32megapixel sensor, dual 16 megapixel or a pelican camera. that being said however microsoft I think has priority to use of certain tech vs HMD, the guys who are making the new nokia devices).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by quasa
this one has 4g and microUSB. it is selling for £40ish when it gets released however

The new 3310 has 2.5G not 4G. All their Android phones will support 4G though.
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/new-nokia-3310-2017-review
Original post by Sae.HH

Surely if you wanted WhatsApp a smartphone would be better? WhatsApp on a screen this size with a keypad instead of a touchscreen keyboard would be painful.
Original post by Hugs31
The new 3310 has 2.5G not 4G. All their Android phones will support 4G though.
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/new-nokia-3310-2017-review

my bad then (in which case why havent they gone 4g considering 8 year old mid/bottom range smartphones had hsdpa (or as samsung used to call it 3g+)
Nokia sold their smartphone business to Microsoft back in 2013 (who raided their patents, poached their CEO and then wrote off the business). Nokia have since sold the license to the firm making this phone.

Personally i bought a Nokia Lumia 920 in 2013 and still use it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending