The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open degree

Hi, I'm looking at doing an open degree that includes business management and spanish but I'm just a bit nervous about how employable i will be when they see on my cv "Ba open degree. The reason i want to do an open degree is so i can do spanish with the BM degree. Would i be better off dropping spanish and getting a named degree in BM, or will i be ok to do an open degree with the both? The reason i want to do this degree is so i can get a better job.

Thanks in advance.
It really doesn't matter where you study. It's what you study and your final grade. Pick the degree that's more interesting to you and which you will get more from (i.e Spanish).
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
It really doesn't matter where you study. It's what you study and your final grade. Pick the degree that's more interesting to you and which you will get more from (i.e Spanish).

I have no problem with studying with the OU. Its deciding which degree, i want to do business management and spanish in which case i would have to do what is called an "open" degree. Im just scared people will look at it as a jack of all trades or not very good, in which case i would pick a named degree such as Ba (hons) business management.
Ah I see! I think the right employer who wants that combination of subjects will look beyond what the degree is called and focus on what you can bring to the role. Generally you may need to explain in your applications what your degree means but I still think you should do the one that suits your interests and career goals better irrespective of what it's called.
Original post by Ltm91
Hi, I'm looking at doing an open degree that includes business management and spanish but I'm just a bit nervous about how employable i will be when they see on my cv "Ba open degree. The reason i want to do an open degree is so i can do spanish with the BM degree. Would i be better off dropping spanish and getting a named degree in BM, or will i be ok to do an open degree with the both? The reason i want to do this degree is so i can get a better job.

Thanks in advance.

You could put "BA (Hons) Open (Business Management and Spanish)" on your CV. But I'm not sure studying Spanish (or any language) with the OU is a good idea. There just isn't much scope to practice speaking and listening skills with a distance learning provider, so your language skills are going to be way behind anyone who studied at a brick university. You could always study with the OU from Spain though!
Reply 5
I already speak spanish, due to moving there when i was 15 and finishing high school there. Im currently in sweden and so wanted to do the spanish to:

1. improve
2. to keep it going so i dont forget
3. have it on paper as i think it would go well with a BM degree :smile:
Original post by Ltm91
I already speak spanish, due to moving there when i was 15 and finishing high school there. Im currently in sweden and so wanted to do the spanish to:

1. improve
2. to keep it going so i dont forget
3. have it on paper as i think it would go well with a BM degree :smile:

Oh right, I know a number of French speakers doing OU French degrees for similar reasons (seems a bit odd IMO). Perhaps you could do a course with the Instituto Cervantes instead (I believe they offer a qualification called Diplomas de Español como Lengua Extranjera (DELE)), that way you can keep up your Spanish language skills and get a named degree. http://londres.cervantes.es/en/courses_spanish/spanish_courses.htm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending