The Student Room Group

2017 applicants from germany

Scroll to see replies

I'm so sorry for both of you :frown: now I'm even more anxious and nervous, I haven't heard back from any of my unis yet ... (St Andrews, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee)
Reply 21
Original post by GermanIRhopeful
I'm so sorry for both of you :frown: now I'm even more anxious and nervous, I haven't heard back from any of my unis yet ... (St Andrews, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee)

Oh no... Sorry to hear that you're still waiting, I remember texting with you about two months ago. I also have not heard back from StA. It is said that it is harder to get in StA than in Edinburgh... I just hope that this is not true otherwise I am done
Original post by simone0110
Oh no... Sorry to hear that you're still waiting, I remember texting with you about two months ago. I also have not heard back from StA. It is said that it is harder to get in StA than in Edinburgh... I just hope that this is not true otherwise I am done

But you do have offers from KCL and Glasgow, right? You can definitely be proud of yourself, those are amazing unis as well! :smile:
And yeah, I hate the wait so so much... Didn't expect it to be that horrible
Reply 23
But you do have offers from KCL and Glasgow, right? You can definitely be proud of yourself, those are amazing unis as well! :smile:
And yeah, I hate the wait so so much... Didn't expect it to be that horrible

I do yes, but with extremly high conditons, but I do nevertheless. :smile: St Andrews is just the dream, as I told you a couple of months ago.. Me too. You just feel so lost, especially because no one of my peers nor my friends nor anybody I know in person has applied for a UK university so no one really understands what it feels like and this just sucks...
I do yes, but with extremly high conditons, but I do nevertheless. :smile: St Andrews is just the dream, as I told you a couple of months ago.. Me too. You just feel so lost, especially because no one of my peers nor my friends nor anybody I know in person has applied for a UK university so no one really understands what it feels like and this just sucks...

Yeah I know that feeling all too well... And I also fear having to tell my family, friends and teachers that I failed...
Reply 25
Yeah I know that feeling all too well... And I also fear having to tell my family, friends and teachers that I failed...

Please do not fear to tell them! This application process is so much work and so complicated, especially when it is in a foreign language. We can both be proud that we had the courage to apply, in order to be one step closer to follow our dreams. Not everybody is so brave. :smile:
Please do not fear to tell them! This application process is so much work and so complicated, especially when it is in a foreign language. We can both be proud that we had the courage to apply, in order to be one step closer to follow our dreams. Not everybody is so brave. :smile:

That's so kind of you to say x
I just think that nobody of them gets how difficult it is to be accepted by unis like St A. Nobody understands how this is such a big thing, u know?
Reply 27
That's so kind of you to say x
I just think that nobody of them gets how difficult it is to be accepted by unis like St A. Nobody understands how this is such a big thing, u know?

In this aspect I totally agree with you. But if someone does not follow up with this whole application and study in the UK thing, they can't understand it. Unfortunatley, although most of the people in germany don't know much about this UK University system, they judge nervetheless, and this is really bothering me :/
Reply 28
In this aspect I totally agree with you. But if someone does not follow up with this whole application and study in the UK thing, they can't understand it. Unfortunatley, although most of the people in germany don't know much about this UK University system, they judge nervetheless, and this is really bothering me :/

St Andrews admissions can appear rather idiosyncratic and they often reject excellent candidates including students who are accepted by Oxbridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by Doonesbury
St Andrews admissions can appear rather idiosyncratic and they often reject excellent candidates including students who are accepted by Oxbridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is interesting to hear. Can you give any reasons why? Or do you have an idea why they do so? St Andrews is a very perstigious and excellent university, no doubt about that, but in the rankings it is far below Oxbridge.
Reply 30
That is interesting to hear. Can you give any reasons why? Or do you have an idea why they do so? St Andrews is a very perstigious and excellent university, no doubt about that, but in the rankings it is far below Oxbridge.

No sorry I don't specifically know why :smile:

And in many rankings they aren't that far behind Oxbridge
e.g. #3rd overall in Times Good Uni Guide.
http://st.hitcreative.com/education/university_guide/active/UniversityGuide/index/year/2017/goto/tableSearchAnchor
Reply 31
No sorry I don't specifically know why :smile:

And in many rankings they aren't that far behind Oxbridge
e.g. #3rd overall in Times Good Uni Guide.
http://st.hitcreative.com/education/university_guide/active/UniversityGuide/index/year/2017/goto/tableSearchAnchor

Depends on the ranking I guess. In the QS Ranking for example they are, which does not mean that they are not a good university! https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2016 ( St Andrews #77 )
I would just love to look into the head of the admission tutors, to understand why they make certain decisions :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah, I've heard that as well... It seems that they sometimes reject excellent candidates that applied before the Oxbridge deadline because they know that candidates accepted by both Oxford/ Cambridge and St A would always put down Oxbridge as their firm choice. Obviously, unis want to offer places to students who will firm the offer. But you're safe if you applied after the Oxbridge deadline :smile:
Reply 33
Yeah, I've heard that as well... It seems that they sometimes reject excellent candidates that applied before the Oxbridge deadline because they know that candidates accepted by both Oxford/ Cambridge and St A would always put down Oxbridge as their firm choice. Obviously, unis want to offer places to students who will firm the offer. But you're safe if you applied after the Oxbridge deadline :smile:

No it's not that. :smile:

If that was the case they would be rejecting the best 30,000 or so students in the UK...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 34

I kinda doubt that, the same myth goes around with Durham and I know plenty of people who applied to Oxford and got offered a place at Durham. I think it could be about the money, because EU students don't bring in any (especially in Scotland) so they *might* rather admit more Americans and others who have to pay international fees.
Reply 35
Original post by BlackSwan98
Hi everyone!:smile:
I'm a German applicant as well but I'm already holding an offer from LSE (for A&F). Does anyone know if there are special scholarships from Germany to support those studying abroad? ....I'v already looked at different websites but there doesn't seem to be much support for undergraduate courses...

Versuch auf jeden Fall, dich bei der Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes zu bewerben. Wenn du nicht schon vorgeschlagen wurdest. Die bezuschussen ein Auslandsstudium mit 2 mal 10.000 Euro für die Studiengebühren scheinbar. :smile:
(Edit: English translation)
Try applying to the "Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes" in Germany if you haven't been proposed for it yet. Apparently they fund 2 x 10.000 euros for tuition fees abroad!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by scblx
Versuch auf jeden Fall, dich bei der Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes zu bewerben. Wenn du nicht schon vorgeschlagen wurdest. Die bezuschussen ein Auslandsstudium mit 2 mal 10.000 Euro für die Studiengebühren scheinbar. :smile:

Please include an English translation on any posts outside the dedicated International TSR forums :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Please include an English translation on any posts outside the dedicated International TSR forums :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's totally irrelevant for everyone who isn't German :tongue: I was just saying they should apply for a specific german scholarship
Reply 38
Original post by scblx
It's totally irrelevant for everyone who isn't German :tongue: I was just saying they should apply for a specific german scholarship

That's great and thanks for clarifying. But it's still a TSR requirement to provide translations :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by scblx

Super danke für den tipp:wink: werde das auf jeden Fall mal versuchen!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending