The Student Room Group

UCL vs Manchester

So, I've gotten all my offers and right now I'm having a tough time choosing between them. I've got offers from Manchester, UCl, Leeds and Birmingham for chemical engineering. I've narrowed it down to Manchester vs UCL...but I can't choose between the 2 :/ Heard that many ppl go to Manchester for engineering courses but UCL's also a pretty well known uni....thoughts?
Could i ask where you ended up choosing? How is it? Im stuck between birmingham and UCL
Original post by brumtown0121
Could i ask where you ended up choosing? How is it? Im stuck between birmingham and UCL

UCL's reputation is from it's humanity courses. Not its engineering ones. I've heard so many stories from people that do engineering there and hate it. My sisters friend actually went there and transferred away in second year.

But I haven't studied there myself so idk just attend both open days. Personally I'd never choose a university in London.
Original post by pairofjeans
UCL's reputation is from it's humanity courses. Not its engineering ones. I've heard so many stories from people that do engineering there and hate it. My sisters friend actually went there and transferred away in second year.

But I haven't studied there myself so idk just attend both open days. Personally I'd never choose a university in London.

Thanks for your reply, very true. Apparently UCL have a new system for chemical engineering though, which has drastically changed from previous years. I feel more inclined to UCL because of the reputation it has, and the fact it's in London.
Thanks for your reply, very true. Apparently UCL have a new system for chemical engineering though, which has drastically changed from previous years. I feel more inclined to UCL because of the reputation it has, and the fact it's in London.

It depends on what you want to do in the future, if you want to go into IB, choose UCL 100%, if not then choose whichever has the best course/location/your preference. UCL has reputation but it means nothing when applying to jobs, the only unis which matter when applying to most jobs are oxbridge, other good unis are just bragging rights. UCL's engineering department isnt as good as Manchesters, so the course at manchester sounds better. It comes down to you at the end of the day.

Yes, they have a new system. I know UCL is easily more prestigious overall than Birmingham, but I'm not aware of which one's better for engineering. UCL's reputation actually stems more from life science/medicine, IMO, as evident by the distribution of faculty awards, e.g. Nobel Prizes, so scientifically, it's good.

Engineering is probably its weakest department in science, but I'm sure it's still good.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Yes, they have a new system. I know UCL is easily more prestigious overall than Birmingham, but I'm not aware of which one's better for engineering. UCL's reputation actually stems more from life science/medicine, IMO, as evident by the distribution of faculty awards, e.g. Nobel Prizes, so scientifically, it's good.

Engineering is probably its weakest department in science, but I'm sure it's still good.

Birmingham is better for chemical engineer, however the issue is that league tables fluctuate each year so they do not provide a reliable source - it's more of something to just keep in mind, than to abide by. I'd like to become a chemical engineer after the degree and not an investment banker, it seems as though people choose UCL chem eng just to go into finance, however i hope you can still become a chemical engineer after completing a degree at UCL.
Original post by Samendra
It depends on what you want to do in the future, if you want to go into IB, choose UCL 100%, if not then choose whichever has the best course/location/your preference. UCL has reputation but it means nothing when applying to jobs, the only unis which matter when applying to most jobs are oxbridge, other good unis are just bragging rights. UCL's engineering department isnt as good as Manchesters, so the course at manchester sounds better. It comes down to you at the end of the day.

Thank you for your reply; if you were in my position which would you choose - Birmingham or UCL for chemical engineering. I'm also from Birmingham myself and would like to move out if I'm honest, however I dont want to go UCL just for the sake of moving out, I'd rather have a career after I graduate.
Birmingham is better for chemical engineer, however the issue is that league tables fluctuate each year so they do not provide a reliable source - it's more of something to just keep in mind, than to abide by. I'd like to become a chemical engineer after the degree and not an investment banker, it seems as though people choose UCL chem eng just to go into finance, however i hope you can still become a chemical engineer after completing a degree at UCL.

I am telling you in general perception that UCL is more prestigious, it's not based on league tables, it's based on alumni, age, research and awards.

Why wouldn't you become a chemical engineer with a degree at UCL? The department was bad for not caring about students, the degree is practically on level terms for employment with everywhere else.
Thank you for your reply; if you were in my position which would you choose - Birmingham or UCL for chemical engineering. I'm also from Birmingham myself and would like to move out if I'm honest, however I dont want to go UCL just for the sake of moving out, I'd rather have a career after I graduate.

lol, ucl isnt bad by any means, but it is not recognised for its engineering departments, if you dont want to go to ucl then dont, pick another uni. If you are undecided between two unis, flip a coin, whatever uni you get see how you feel then you know whether you want to go there or not. If i were in your position i would go for Birmingham.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
I am telling you in general perception that UCL is more prestigious, it's not based on league tables, it's based on alumni, age, research and awards.

Why wouldn't you become a chemical engineer with a degree at UCL? The department was bad for not caring about students, the degree is practically on level terms for employment with everywhere else.

Ah okay, thanks. Most likely i'm going to firm UCL. Thank you for your replies.
Original post by Samendra
lol, ucl isnt bad by any means, but it is not recognised for its engineering departments, if you dont want to go to ucl then dont, pick another uni. If you are undecided between two unis, flip a coin, whatever uni you get see how you feel then you know whether you want to go there or not. If i were in your position i would go for Birmingham.

Thank you for your useful replies, i'll be thinking hard this next week, currently i'm inclined towards UCL, but i'll weigh up the pros and cons of each.
Ah okay, thanks. Most likely i'm going to firm UCL. Thank you for your replies.

Hey I’m in the same position rn what do you think about engineering at UCL?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending