The Student Room Group

Are these A-level options too soft for Accountancy & Finance?

Hi guys!

I'm currently studying Accountancy, ICT, and Psychology at A-level but am worried that these subjects are too soft for russel group universities.

I have a real passion for accountancy which is why I really want to do accountancy and finance at a good university :frown:

My predicted grades right now are ABB but I'm hoping to get at least 2 As (One being in accounting, and the other in ICT).

Thanks in advance for any responses
Yes they are, you should really do maths and if you can then further maths + economics/science, if you want to get into the the top unis, even for good unis you atleast need maths.
Original post by Samendra
Yes they are, you should really do maths and if you can then further maths + economics/science, if you want to get into the the top unis, even for good unis you atleast need maths.

This is not true at all. When I applied to do A&F a few years ago, the only unis, off the top of my head, requiring A-level maths were Bath, Bristol, and Warwick. A-level maths is in no way a requirement to do A&F at one of the top unis, never mind further maths.
Reply 3
Original post by zachyg
This is not true at all. When I applied to do A&F a few years ago, the only unis, off the top of my head, requiring A-level maths were Bath, Bristol, and Warwick. A-level maths is in no way a requirement to do A&F at one of the top unis, never mind further maths.

Well that was "a few years ago"
You do need Maths A level and that is a fact. Yes there are universities that allow you to study a&f without Maths A level but that is mostly at very low ranked universities or their a&f course only includes maths upto gcse which is stupid because a&f includes real application to maths not just stupid gcse sums. True a&f has application of maths from A level so I suggest that OP selects Maths A level and some more solid subjects

Warwick/lse/city/bath/bristol and more all require it.
Original post by zachyg

Yes you are right, my mistake. But it is true however that for top unis Accounting and ICT will seem weak, especially for warwick/lse.
Original post by ded101
Well that was "a few years ago"
You do need Maths A level and that is a fact. Yes there are universities that allow you to study a&f without Maths A level but that is mostly at very low ranked universities or their a&f course only includes maths upto gcse which is stupid because a&f includes real application to maths not just stupid gcse sums. True a&f has application of maths from A level so I suggest that OP selects Maths A level and some more solid subjects

Warwick/lse/city/bath/bristol and more all require it.

It's not a fact though is it? That's just wrong. Most unis allow you to study A&F without maths. Including a lot of very good ones. I know what A&F entails, I study it at a pretty good university and I'm getting by fine without A-level maths. Not really sure either how A&F includes harder maths than some finance elements (portfolio theory, CAPM etc), all of which I'm managing with fine, again, without having done A-level maths. Thanks for the 'clarification' nonetheless. No, LSE don't require maths. They recommend it, but it's not a requirement, exactly the same as when I applied "a few years ago".

Is A-level maths helpful for an A&F degree? Yes. Is it required? No.
Reply 6
Original post by zachyg
It's not a fact though is it? That's just wrong. Most unis allow you to study A&F without maths. Including a lot of very good ones. I know what A&F entails, I study it at a pretty good university and I'm getting by fine without A-level maths. Not really sure either how A&F includes harder maths than some finance elements (portfolio theory, CAPM etc), all of which I'm managing with fine, again, without having done A-level maths. Thanks for the 'clarification' nonetheless. No, LSE don't require maths. They recommend it, but it's not a requirement, exactly the same as when I applied "a few years ago".

Is A-level maths helpful for an A&F degree? Yes. Is it required? No.

So when my friend got rejected from lse, a friend who had achieved AAAA in (business, english, accounting and biology) and had a strong ps, why did the admissions tutor for the course state that a&f requires more quantative subjects and that over 80% (canr remember about %) have studied it
They also didnt like her AS subjects and said her subject choice overall is uncompetitive compared to other applicants.

Its like people who apply for econ at lse. Even though they say further maths is desired it means they want it and its somewhat used or applied so why wouldnt you study it to boost your chances of getting in?

Yeah ok lol. You need to go to a top uni if OP is hoping to break into IB or the big 4

Studying a&f or economics is like doing a maths degree without further maths
Absolutely useless but each to their own.
Original post by ded101
So when my friend got rejected from lse, a friend who had achieved AAAA in (business, english, accounting and biology) and had a strong ps, why did the admissions tutor for the course state that a&f requires more quantative subjects and that over 80% (canr remember about %) have studied it
They also didnt like her AS subjects and said her subject choice overall is uncompetitive compared to other applicants.

Its like people who apply for econ at lse. Even though they say further maths is desired it means they want it and its somewhat used or applied so why wouldnt you study it to boost your chances of getting in?

Yeah ok lol. You need to go to a top uni if OP is hoping to break into IB or the big 4

Studying a&f or economics is like doing a maths degree without further maths
Absolutely useless but each to their own.

I don't think we're getting anywhere so I suggest we agree to leave it here?

I didn't do A-level maths, got into a good uni (Exeter) am doing just fine without maths, and am joining one of the big 4 later this year. I'll just reiterate my point: how many unis require maths for A&F? 4 or 5? So not all of the top ones at all.

FWIW; The big 4 recruit a significant proportion of their graduates from non-relevant subjects.Tonnes of people get in with degrees in history, english etc...

Maths is not a requirement to do an accounting degree, or for a career in accountancy, and you choosing some (admittedly very good) universities to support your argument doesn't change that.
Reply 8
Original post by zachyg
I don't think we're getting anywhere so I suggest we agree to leave it here?

I didn't do A-level maths, got into a good uni (Exeter) am doing just fine without maths, and am joining one of the big 4 later this year. I'll just reiterate my point: how many unis require maths for A&F? 4 or 5? So not all of the top ones at all.

FWIW; The big 4 recruit a significant proportion of their graduates from non-relevant subjects.Tonnes of people get in with degrees in history, english etc...

Maths is not a requirement to do an accounting degree, or for a career in accountancy, and you choosing some (admittedly very good) universities to support your argument doesn't change that.

Lmao you have terrible reading skills. I am agreeing with you but expressing my point but you're so deluded you cant even take the time to understand what I just said

Well exeter isnt even a target uni so for IB it becomes difficult to get into a BB.
The big 4 is easier to get into compared to IB but both are difficult.
Yes I know any solid degree is fine. You're just going off topic lol
Good day!
Original post by GalacticBG
I'm currently studying Accountancy, ICT, and Psychology at A-level but am worried that these subjects are too soft for russel group universities.

Why did you pick ICT & Psychology? You need A-Level Maths for most, if not all, Russell Group universities offering Accounting & Finance. You may have to do a Business (Management) degree with accounting focus rather than straight up Accounting & Finance which, personally, is better overall. I presume you have Maths GCSE at B or better?

So you know, you don't actually need to do an Accounting degree to get into accounting with B4, you can do any degree (not drama or similar) and as long as you pass their assessments and meet the requirements for face to face interviews, you wouldn't be penalised for a different degree. Most of those that I've met in B4 have done Business, Economics and Law degrees, even fewer are from Oxbridge.
Reply 10
Original post by PandaSal
Why did you pick ICT & Psychology? You need A-Level Maths for most, if not all, Russell Group universities offering Accounting & Finance. You may have to do a Business (Management) degree with accounting focus rather than straight up Accounting & Finance which, personally, is better overall. I presume you have Maths GCSE at B or better?

So you know, you don't actually need to do an Accounting degree to get into accounting with B4, you can do any degree (not drama or similar) and as long as you pass their assessments and meet the requirements for face to face interviews, you wouldn't be penalised for a different degree. Most of those that I've met in B4 have done Business, Economics and Law degrees, even fewer are from Oxbridge.

My maths GCSE is at B

I was looking into doing an Accounting and Finance degree at Manchester University as it says that an Accounting A Level is recommended to have.
Original post by GalacticBG
Hi guys!

I have a real passion for accountancy which is why I really want to do accountancy and finance at a good university :frown:

My predicted grades right now are ABB but I'm hoping to get at least 2 As (One being in accounting, and the other in ICT).

Thanks in advance for any responses

The best thing to do is look on unis websites to see what they say about their entry requirements.
A-level maths might be an advantage. But the best thing to is check with them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending