The Student Room Group

UCAS extra applicants for entry 2017

So I searched but couldn't find another thread.

I declined my biomedical science offers this morning and applied through extra for Neuroscience BSc.

What has everyone else done for applying through extra, and does anyone know when I'm likely to hear back or do I have to wait until July now?

Good Luck everyone!

Scroll to see replies

Hey! I did the same kind of thing and declined all of my offers from Physics to Philosophy. It's so scary, don't you think? Do you know what the chances are of us getting accepted? Good luck!!
I'm in the same situation too, feels kinda scary too. I rejected my biomedical sciences to apply for biochemistry. I could have switch courses but wanted to change my university choice.
Reply 3
I feel like switching out my choices but I have no clue what I wanna do in place of my applied degree :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Zentox
I feel like switching out my choices but I have no clue what I wanna do in place of my applied degree :frown:

Why do you feel like switching when you don't know what to switch too?
Reply 5
Original post by Zankou
Why do you feel like switching when you don't know what to switch too?

I was having doubts when I posted that but I feel alright now, lol. But what I meant was that I wanted to apply to do something else (maybe a science) while I had the chance (ie. Without taking a yr out)
Hey! I commented in this about a week ago. I just thought I'd let you know that I received an offer at Warwick today(!), in the hopes of showing you that it is possible. Good luck guys!
Original post by Natashaleigh1617
Hey! I commented in this about a week ago. I just thought I'd let you know that I received an offer at Warwick today(!), in the hopes of showing you that it is possible. Good luck guys!

I just had a search to find this post as I didn't think anyone had replied!

Well done! That's really great, I haven't heard back yet. Most people in my situation have to go for an interview so I'm not sure if that will delay me in getting a response.

This is the first time I've heard of anyone applying through extra so you make me feel like I've made the right choice!
Original post by Iibrah1.314
I'm in the same situation too, feels kinda scary too. I rejected my biomedical sciences to apply for biochemistry. I could have switch courses but wanted to change my university choice.

I hope you get exactly what you want!
Reply 9
Original post by Natashaleigh1617

Congrats on getting an offer! As you applied for a different course, did you have to submit a new personal statement to the university?
Original post by Zankou
Congrats on getting an offer! As you applied for a different course, did you have to submit a new personal statement to the university?

You're unable to re-submit a different personal statement through UCAS and so if you want to apply for a vastly different course you must first speak to the university if they will consider the current examinations you are taking and consider you as an applicant, then you can then apply and ask if they want another personal statement tailored towards the new degree that you're applying for instead. But this must be sent independent of your UCAS application.
Reply 11
Original post by katycaresse
You're unable to re-submit a different personal statement through UCAS and so if you want to apply for a vastly different course you must first speak to the university if they will consider the current examinations you are taking and consider you as an applicant, then you can then apply and ask if they want another personal statement tailored towards the new degree that you're applying for instead. But this must be sent independent of your UCAS application.

Oh I see. Thank you. I wonder how many universities actually ask for new personal statements or if they just base their decision on the rest of your application (like predicted grades, achieved grades, reference, etc)?
Original post by Zankou
Oh I see. Thank you. I wonder how many universities actually ask for new personal statements or if they just base their decision on the rest of your application (like predicted grades, achieved grades, reference, etc)?

I guess it would depend upon how drastic the change is, for example, my offers were for medicine and biomedicine and I have changed to apply for neuroscience.

In my personal statement, I mentioned the neuroeconomics course I'd done and my favourite neurosurgeon so I don't think my personal statement will have needed to be changed even if I had initially applied for neuroscience as it tied in quite well.

However, If I was now deciding to do english, I think the universities would want a revised draft; mentioning how much Hemmingway changed my life and how I can't live without Dickens, Orwell or Wilde...
Hi there, someone I know used Extra a couple of years ago. They did not have to submit a new personal statement and the courses were very different. They got the grades they needed in the summer and so they got their place and it was a Russell Group uni. A word of warning though, this person was taking re-sits so it was the second round of applying through UCAS. They declined all their offers, applied for a course through Extra, BUT, the grades they had to get for the course in Extra were higher than the grades they would have needed to get if they had applied normally, but this was probably because they were a resit candidate. They didn't know about the higher than usual grade requirements until they got the offer and had obviously rejected all their existing 5 offers. Hope this helps.
Hi guys

I did a sort of 'unofficial ucas extra' thing as i emailed a uni i'd already applied for and they said they'd consider me for a different department. This was 20 days ago now, do you think i should just assume it's a no?
Reply 15
Original post by tyqp
Hi guys

I did a sort of 'unofficial ucas extra' thing as i emailed a uni i'd already applied for and they said they'd consider me for a different department. This was 20 days ago now, do you think i should just assume it's a no?

Call them instead, and make a note of who you talk to, their job title and what they say. You could mention you already emailed them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have the same problem. I got rejected from all schools that I applied for to study the course I wanted (medicine). BUT I got a conditional offer for psychology at King's which was my fifth choice. I don't know whether I should risk it and decline so I can apply for extra or if I should accept it...
Reply 17
Original post by katkamede
I have the same problem. I got rejected from all schools that I applied for to study the course I wanted (medicine). BUT I got a conditional offer for psychology at King's which was my fifth choice. I don't know whether I should risk it and decline so I can apply for extra or if I should accept it...

What are you thinking of applying for through Extra?
Original post by Zankou
What are you thinking of applying for through Extra?

probably neuroscience but I didn't take chemistry HL only SL so my choices are limited by that
Original post by katkamede
probably neuroscience but I didn't take chemistry HL only SL so my choices are limited by that

You have to call the uni's you would want to study neuroscience at and see if they would accept you, if your subjects would be accepted and if they're still taking applicants.

You may find a uni that you want to go to that says yes for neuroscience and if you want to do that more than psychology then I would risk it if I was you.

I wanted to do neuroscience more than I any of the offers I had and so I had no option but to decline them and use extra.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending