The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi

I got an interview for IMU -PMS this month, and I was wondering what are my chances. I have read on some posts that the interview is just a procedure and is not really taken into account when choosing. Or do I have a good chance since I got an interview? Also I wanted to ask for personal experience, how long after the interview did you guys get an offer lettter?

FYI: I am student from New Zealand with a Foundation certificate as pre-entry qualification

Cheers
Hey. I really pray this thread isn't dead.

So I really want to do the Partner Medical School Program at IMU but I realised that their entry requirements specify that you have to take all three sciences to be eligible (bio, chem and physics). I'm an IB student and I took only two sciences (bio and chem) at HL of which I managed to score a 6 in both. I have an overall score of 39 while they require 33.

Will admissions be very flexible about this? I did score well above required in the IB. I did take physics at IGCSE level and got an A* but I'm absolutely gutted about the three science requirement here, especially since most medical schools only require chem and bio.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh help
sorry mate….did you get in? What did they say
Original post by mayamiller
sorry mate….did you get in? What did they say

What's really funny is that after speaking to admissions, they told me that physics wasn't necessary, and that only bio and chem were mandatory...so strange. I will be applying there though. Just not now because I want it in line with my uk med applications.
Thinking of applying here too. Did they accept your IB eventually?
I am a Malaysian , i went to IMU for 1 semester, and then left it for Newcastle University Medicine Malaysia(NUMed). If you're looking for excellent education with good dedicated lecturers and a lot of help and guidance to succeed, go for NUMed. I regret going to IMU because the way they teach is as if they don't care as much for the students. No matter how bad your interview goes, IMU would still admit you because they are that desperate for $$$. There are some of my friends in NUMed now who are international students (Aussie, Canadian,Hong Kong); they studied in IMU previously and even they agree that NUMed is a much better option. NUMed is a branch of the UK university, Newcastle University, it is recognized by GMC. However there is no twinning opportunity in NUMed except for an optional one year intercalation that leads to either an extra Masters degree or Bachelors.
Original post by formedwestand
I am a Malaysian , i went to IMU for 1 semester, and then left it for Newcastle University Medicine Malaysia(NUMed). If you're looking for excellent education with good dedicated lecturers and a lot of help and guidance to succeed, go for NUMed. I regret going to IMU because the way they teach is as if they don't care as much for the students. No matter how bad your interview goes, IMU would still admit you because they are that desperate for $$$. There are some of my friends in NUMed now who are international students (Aussie, Canadian,Hong Kong); they studied in IMU previously and even they agree that NUMed is a much better option. NUMed is a branch of the UK university, Newcastle University, it is recognized by GMC. However there is no twinning opportunity in NUMed except for an optional one year intercalation that leads to either an extra Masters degree or Bachelors.

Hihi im malaysian too. Wow is it really that bad at IMU? I applied to uk, then just got rejected by all 4 medical schools. So now considering IMU. But is it really that bad in terms of lectures? Damn now im hesitant. Do they look for applicants with rich working experiences? No matter how bad the interview goes, u will still get the offer provided ur academic achievement is top notch? Hv u ever applied to uk directly? anyone of ur friends succeeded in doing so? thanks man, will rly appreciate ur reply.
Reply 27
Original post by hslakaal
I'm gonna get a heck of negatives possibly from IMU students, but don't go to IMU if you're not Malaysian.

a) It'll be very difficult for your degree at IMU to be recognised/valued overseas, especially if you're an UK student
b) Being a doctor in Malaysia won't be easy, considering you'd have to at least have a working knowledge of Malay.

In terms of entry, don't worry about it. All they want is something along the lines of two Bs and a C. And I'm going to sound wholly patronising, but unfortunately. it's the place in Malaysia where the well off kids, who received private schooling, did A-Levels, then didn't do well enough to go to the UK, Aus, US for their unis, and had their parents pay their fees for a private uni, which is happy to accept anyone who applies.

About 3 people from my class went to IMU. 1 of them was doing A-Levels for the second time. And I mean the entire A-Level. Another one, who applied because he was too worried, got an offer for BCC.

I know this post was a long time ago but do you really think the degree is that bad? (I mean I'm quite desperate at this point to get into uni cause I've been rejected from UK and Ireland and lost an opportunity to study in China)
And do you know about how international students get houseman ships since it isn't possible to get in Malaysia?
IMU has a twinning programme whereby you do ur preclinical years in IMU and move on to a UK/Irish university.
Teaching wise I've heard from some friends (Malaysian and Singaporeans) who study there they do decent anatomy teaching. If you're desperate it is a feasible option although it might not seem as cool as your other peers initially. Actually, taking a year out to boost ur application or doing a degree first isn't that bad an idea too. Lots of people I know retook their UKCAT/BMAT and had so much better scores. You got your whole life to practice medicine, one year won't hurt
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by chzzzz
I know this post was a long time ago but do you really think the degree is that bad? (I mean I'm quite desperate at this point to get into uni cause I've been rejected from UK and Ireland and lost an opportunity to study in China)
And do you know about how international students get houseman ships since it isn't possible to get in Malaysia?

I think they've changed it now so that international students can do the twinning thing as well (not 100% sure - not really bothered bout IMU tbh)

On the second point: you don't.
Reply 30
Original post by hslakaal
I think they've changed it now so that international students can do the twinning thing as well (not 100% sure - not really bothered bout IMU tbh)

On the second point: you don't.

Are you Malaysian? And where are you planning to study?
Original post by chzzzz
Are you Malaysian? And where are you planning to study?

No. I am not. I am currently at Guy's in London.
Original post by Happymelon
You already have a Masters degree???? That's really impressive! If you're still keen on doing Medicine then I think you're on the right track by widening your options. IMU shouldn't be a problem for you to get into, so long as you have a good academic record and if you ace the interview :smile: I'm not sure if the interview for graduates are the same, but if you need to ask anything about it, feel free to PM me :] there are lots of online resources for details of the interview too.
Hey.. may I ask how the interview is? What type of question do they ask? Thanks in advance :smile:

Latest