The Student Room Group

Coffee shops...

Do you rate 'chain' coffee shops such as Costa or Starbucks etc...

Or are you more into independent outlets...

And why?

Scroll to see replies

I always go to Costa or Starbucks because I like their coffee, also you know what you're going to get rather than taking a gamble on an independent that might not be that great.
I mostly use Coffee #1, it's usually a lot less manic than Costa or Starbucks and it has a cute homely feel to the place. I also like their selection of drinks and food as well as the pretty friendly staff, maybe that's just my local but I do look forward to my weekly coffee shop visits.

Most of the independent shops in my area are cafés that mostly sell specialty teas... which isn't really my 'cup of tea' :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I never go into the coffee chains, but I do often buy hot drinks from mcdonalds/independents.
Reply 4
Original post by Fusion
I never go into the coffee chains, but I do often buy hot drinks from mcdonalds/independents.

Good for you TC... tip top:smile:
There's an independent coffee shop a 3 minute walk from my uni campus and it's incredible. The coffee is just awesome. Priced about the same as Starbucks but so much better. The Starbucks on campus always has little bits of bean in it and they have some weird dark roast, not Pike Place. I usually go to Dunkin Donuts if I want coffee and I'm out and about, with Starbucks as second best. There aren't really that many independent places where I live.
Original post by Nicoley-oley
I mostly use Coffee #1, it's usually a lot less manic than Costa or Starbucks and it has a cute homely feel to the place. I also like their selection of drinks and food as well as the pretty friendly staff, maybe that's just my local but I do look forward to my weekly coffee shop visits.

Most of the independent shops in my area are cafés that mostly sell specialty teas... which isn't really my 'cup of tea' :wink:

I love Coffee #1. There's one round the corner from where I live and it's really nice to go hang out in.

Boston Tea Party is also a really good small chain although the one I mainly go to is always super busy.
I normally just go to EAT because they do a really good chai.
Reply 8
When I am out I try to go to an independent place which sometimes pays off which is really great but there is an inherent risk of encountering a crapola cup.

As a coffee freak I have had a couple of electric filter coffee machines and have tried grinding my own beans at home despite being a Lavazza fan for a few years.

Last year I bought a stove-top coffee maker which has seriously changed the way I feel about my coffee at home. That, coupled with now buying 'Fairtrade' ground coffee, for me is a big 'win win'.

My coffee maker cost less than £10 and is a 6 cup espresso producer. I know it may sound a lot but I pour it all over warmed sweetened milk into my pint mug! Sets me up for the day ahead.
Original post by Drez999
My coffee maker cost less than £10 and is a 6 cup espresso producer. I know it may sound a lot but I pour it all over warmed sweetened milk into my pint mug! Sets me up for the day ahead.

6 espressos in the morning? Wow! I thought my habit was bad. :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by Sabertooth
6 espressos in the morning? Wow! I thought my habit was bad. :tongue:

LOL

Hmmm...

I do get your point but what I should have said is that the pint mug of milky espresso can last me up to 90 minutes to drink - does that make it any better? Lol

And yes, I am one of those freaky humans that enjoy cold coffee:smile:
Starbucks bc Starbucks
Original post by Drez999
LOL

Hmmm...

I do get your point but what I should have said is that the pint mug of milky espresso can last me up to 90 minutes to drink - does that make it any better? Lol

And yes, I am one of those freaky humans that enjoy cold coffee:smile:

Marginally but not very much! :tongue: How do you have enough time in the morning to spend 90 minutes drinking coffee? Do you only have afternoon classes?
Reply 13
Marginally but not very much! :tongue: How do you have enough time in the morning to spend 90 minutes drinking coffee? Do you only have afternoon classes?

LOL

I'm a bit of a 'night owl' Saber - it's 0329 here...

What time is it with you amigo?
Original post by Drez999
LOL

I'm a bit of a 'night owl' Saber - it's 0329 here...

What time is it with you amigo?

Now I'm even more confused! So you drink the coffee when you wake up, so...afternoon? But then when do you go to class??

10.33pm.
Reply 15
No.

I sleep for a maximum of 4 hours but normally less and I 'start' to enjoy my coffee about 0500-0545.

I am pretty good (for a guy! LOL) at multi-tasking so am...

Obviously on TSR, but also watching TV, playing online poker and am just about to put new laces on my walking/hiking boots.

Please can I ask, how come you are a TSR mod/volunteer and yet you live in US - sorry to be nosey but I am curious and thought this the other day?
Original post by Drez999
No.

I sleep for a maximum of 4 hours but normally less and I 'start' to enjoy my coffee about 0500-0545.

I am pretty good (for a guy! LOL) at multi-tasking so am...

Obviously on TSR, but also watching TV, playing online poker and am just about to put new laces on my walking/hiking boots.

Please can I ask, how come you are a TSR mod/volunteer and yet you live in US - sorry to be nosey but I am curious and thought this the other day?

4 hours????!!?! I'm no good unless I get a good 10 hours! :colondollar: But ok thank you for explaining, that makes a lot more sense. Though I do think now that you must be some kind of X-men-esque mutant that you can do that. :eek2:

Why would that be a problem? :smile:
Reply 17
4 hours????!!?! I'm no good unless I get a good 10 hours! :colondollar: But ok thank you for explaining, that makes a lot more sense. Though I do think now that you must be some kind of X-men-esque mutant that you can do that. :eek2:

Why would that be a problem? :smile:

I am a bit of an 'odd cookie' at times but sadly I am not of the X-Man clan! Lol

"Why would what be a problem?"... I only have a 'problem' with trolls and silly negative and unkind people on TSR and I SO do not believe you are amigo:smile:
Original post by Drez999
I am a bit of an 'odd cookie' at times but sadly I am not of the X-Man clan! Lol

"Why would what be a problem?"... I only have a 'problem' with trolls and silly negative and unkind people on TSR and I SO do not believe you are amigo:smile:

Haha! :biggrin: 4 hours or less of sleep, gotta be some superhuman there! That's crazy, dude :tongue:

Oh I think you must have misunderstood, I simply meant why would it matter that I'm in the US yet am also on the support team. I actually went to Warwick university and lived in the UK for a fair amount of time so I do have some connections. :smile: Also, who else would TSR have to get rid of all those spammers selling kitchens who seem to appear most nights at about 3am! :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Truly nearly pmsl @ kitchens!!!!!! Eeeek!

I have no problem with people who live in the US generally but...

(and this will be one of my 'soapbox moments' - just sayin' - don't hate me)

I do have a problem with the disrespect that (not only historically) the North American people show to native Americans.

I have been on holiday to the USA four times - first was NY which I found buzzy, exciting, thrilling and coming out of a bar in Greenwich Village at 4am on a Sunday in the snow will be a fab memory that will stay with me until the end of time (or mine).

The other three visits were cheapo holidays visiting the adult playground of LV - visiting my (idiot) Uncle. I am a poker player so that was okay but I have to say the best LV experience I had was leaving LV at McCarran and doing a tour of the Grand Canyon which was both stunning and breath-taking.

If I ever go back I would like to visit San Francisco but considering I am so gobby/vociferous these days, I doubt if the CBP will let me pass:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest