The Student Room Group

New 1-9 English Lit Poetry?

Hi :smile:

So the new gcses have a looot of work - I'm just about ok with paper 1 but paper 2 is awful; An Inspector Calls essay, a poetry essay, an unseen poetry essay, and an unseen poetry comparison in 2 hours!

Since there's 15 poems with linking themes, could i learn about 6 or so? Or what poems would I absolutely have to learn with different themes, keeping it to the bare minimum?

I'm thinking (for love and relationships):

When we two parted
Sonnet 29 (i think of thee)
Eden Rock
Mother, any distance
Before you were mine

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by zoe.biscuit
Hi :smile:

So the new gcses have a looot of work - I'm just about ok with paper 1 but paper 2 is awful; An Inspector Calls essay, a poetry essay, an unseen poetry essay, and an unseen poetry comparison in 2 hours!

Since there's 15 poems with linking themes, could i learn about 6 or so? Or what poems would I absolutely have to learn with different themes, keeping it to the bare minimum?

Thanks

I suggest to make notes on each of the 15 poems, which should consist of the main themes and ideas as well as the context - don't write too much. You could even do it in flash card form. You should know the main themes/ ideas and context for each poem. In the exam, they will give you the extract for one poem, so you should only do language,form, structure analysis for the extract they give you. They do not expect you to do any language, form structure analysis for the other poem you chose because they haven't given you the extract. In the comparison only talk about main themes and ideas as well as context for the one you chose. In terms of unseen, you can practice that by comparing two poems from the section in the anthology you didn't study. I'm doing 9-1 edexcel literature so I'm in the same position as you! I hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by Funksy64
I suggest to make notes on each of the 15 poems, which should consist of the main themes and ideas as well as the context - don't write too much. You could even do it in flash card form. You should know the main themes/ ideas and context for each poem. In the exam, they will give you the extract for one poem, so you should only do language,form, structure analysis for the extract they give you. They do not expect you to do any language, form structure analysis for the other poem you chose because they haven't given you the extract. In the comparison only talk about main themes and ideas as well as context for the one you chose. In terms of unseen, you can practice that by comparing two poems from the section in the anthology you didn't study. I'm doing 9-1 edexcel literature so I'm in the same position as you! I hope this helps!

Already made flashcards and a lot of notes, it's just memorising quotes for every poem. Are you doing love and relationships?? Thankyouu!
Going through the exact same thing!! My poems are to do with Power and Conflict though. Are you in YR10?
I suggest annotating every anthology poem (yes all 15) so you have some idea of the key ideas in each poem. Try to pick like 1 or 2 lines that you can talk really strongly about, but don't worry if you can't remember it! It's the technique that counts. If you can analyse the hidden messages within the poem strongly enough, you'll remember something that links nicely. Good luck to you!
Reply 4
Original post by zwastix
Going through the exact same thing!! My poems are to do with Power and Conflict though. Are you in YR10?
I suggest annotating every anthology poem (yes all 15) so you have some idea of the key ideas in each poem. Try to pick like 1 or 2 lines that you can talk really strongly about, but don't worry if you can't remember it! It's the technique that counts. If you can analyse the hidden messages within the poem strongly enough, you'll remember something that links nicely. Good luck to you!

Power and conflict seems even harder! Nope, in year 11 but never properly got taught the poems. I'll make basic annotations on all poems, but i'm going for a grade 8 so i'm thinking memorise a few in depth?
Good luck to you too :smile:
Reply 5
Already made flashcards and a lot of notes, it's just memorising quotes for every poem. Are you doing love and relationships?? Thankyouu!

Yes, I am! What novel are you studying for the first part of paper 2? I'm doing frankenstein.
Reply 6
Yes, I am! What novel are you studying for the first part of paper 2? I'm doing frankenstein.

Same, i'm doing frankenstein. I used to hate it but now i find it pretty interesting.
Reply 7
Hii, I agree with @Funksy64, although it sounds like ur doing the AQA board (like me). I you arethen you definitely have to memorise language and structure annotations of ALL your quotes. I recommend doing 6 broad poems in depth, and the other 9 with only a bit of learned analysis. It's such a pain but at least you'll be prepared :smile:
I'm doing AQA, but power and conflict. I know it's so time consuming, but I think it's better to revise all of them - yes revise the ones with the most links to the other details in more detail, but I just don't want to get into the exam and get given an exam I haven't revised very much
Omg I'm doing love and relationships I've written notes and que cards but I don't know what to write when comparing the poems ;(
Original post by Ninagabriella
Omg I'm doing love and relationships I've written notes and que cards but I don't know what to write when comparing the poems ;(

We've been taught to do an intro, a conclusion, and then 3 middle paragraphs: language comparison, then form, then themes (plus structure and other stuff if time) with context thrown in.

Hope that helps!
We've been taught to do an intro, a conclusion, and then 3 middle paragraphs: language comparison, then form, then themes (plus structure and other stuff if time) with context thrown in.

Hope that helps!

Thanks I will do that for practice xx
Original post by sudent
Hii, I agree with @Funksy64, although it sounds like ur doing the AQA board (like me). I you arethen you definitely have to memorise language and structure annotations of ALL your quotes. I recommend doing 6 broad poems in depth, and the other 9 with only a bit of learned analysis. It's such a pain but at least you'll be prepared :smile:

I'm doing the Edexcel exam board.
Reply 13
I'm doing the Edexcel exam board.

Ik, but are you? @zoe.biscuit
Original post by sudent
Ik, but are you? @zoe.biscuit

Nope, i'm doing AQA
Reply 15
Nope, i'm doing AQA

lmao same
Reply 16
Power and conflict seems even harder! Nope, in year 11 but never properly got taught the poems. I'll make basic annotations on all poems, but i'm going for a grade 8 so i'm thinking memorise a few in depth?
Good luck to you too :smile:

Get the aqa love and relationship book!! i got my power n conflict its so good it annotates in depth and tells you structure and techniques.

Also watch MrBruff videos on it and inspector calls- so amazing& grade 9 work.
I haven't read the other replies so maybe you already know- but my teacher worked it out at 6:smile:
I have the love and relationships version buuut 😕 it's not that great for me, but madame anglaise is great and mr bruff!
Does anyone do edexcel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending