The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

University of Reading Accommodation 2017/18 - FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Mackinder - is this undergrads and postgrads mix? Do they try all keep all undergrads together ? Thanks
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Original post by Tobikuyinu
Hi!

I've been looking at the accommodation guide and it says some Northcourt houses have washbasin rooms, but when I try found out which rooms they are, it only lists Wessex and St George's as having washbasin rooms. So which rooms actually offer premium and standard washbasin rooms? :smile:

Hello!

That is right about Wessex and St George's, they are self-catered rooms with washbasins.:smile:

The only washbasin rooms in Northcourt halls are St Patrick's. These are catered rooms (where you get a set amount of money loaded onto your student card each week to use in the catering outlets on campus).

So it depends if you would rather cook yourself or have catered accommodation and eat on campus. Even if you do have catered halls, you still get a small kitchen so that you can make food in your halls if you wish. I was in self catered halls last year (Bridges) but my friends were in Wessex and said it was really sociable, as there is a bar (the Ice Bar) as part of the hall with pool tables and events!

This gives you some more information about the rooms with/without washbasins: https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/accommodation/university-accommodation/types-of-room/room-with-shared-bathroom.aspx

Hope all this helps, and feel free to ask me any more questions!

Alice :h:

2nd Year Food Science Student
Original post by UniofReading
Hello!

That is right about Wessex and St George's, they are self-catered rooms with washbasins.:smile:

The only washbasin rooms in Northcourt halls are St Patrick's. These are catered rooms (where you get a set amount of money loaded onto your student card each week to use in the catering outlets on campus).

So it depends if you would rather cook yourself or have catered accommodation and eat on campus. Even if you do have catered halls, you still get a small kitchen so that you can make food in your halls if you wish. I was in self catered halls last year (Bridges) but my friends were in Wessex and said it was really sociable, as there is a bar (the Ice Bar) as part of the hall with pool tables and events!

This gives you some more information about the rooms with/without washbasins: https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/accommodation/university-accommodation/types-of-room/room-with-shared-bathroom.aspx

Hope all this helps, and feel free to ask me any more questions!

Thanks so much for the reply! So what do you think the main differences are between those two halls then, in terms of culture, facilities and all. I've heard that Wessex has got a lot of house spirit but then also possibly a lot of 'lad culture'? :biggrin: And then I've also heard that St George's has a lot of international students, which I think would actually be quite fun, but does it also have a lot of postgrad students? And which would you recommend for better value for money haha! :smile:
Hello!

Firstly, congratulations to both of you on the unconditional offers - that's amazing news :smile:

You do still have to wait for results day to receive your accommodation offer, but you just get the chance to apply earlier.

Good luck with your exams and I am glad you are choosing Reading! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks for the reply!^^ Although, I have a few more questions. 1) How do I pay accommodation? can I pay it weekly? or does it have to be by term? 2) Can my parents stay with me at the uni for a week? as I am an International student. 3) How many exams do I have to take in order to pass the year? apart from coursework, I mean. How many exams will I have to take, by the end of my degree? and yearly? I'm taking an English Literature degree. Thank you in advance:smile:
Reply 44
Hi,
I now have an unconditional offer and have applied for accommodation, the email back from reading said I would hear back from them within 10 working days, does this mean I will be told what hall I am in? Or just that I am guaranteed a room even though I am anyway as it's unconditional and firm choice on my ucas?

Thank you in advance :smile:
Original post by Tobikuyinu
Thanks so much for the reply! So what do you think the main differences are between those two halls then, in terms of culture, facilities and all. I've heard that Wessex has got a lot of house spirit but then also possibly a lot of 'lad culture'? :biggrin: And then I've also heard that St George's has a lot of international students, which I think would actually be quite fun, but does it also have a lot of postgrad students? And which would you recommend for better value for money haha! :smile:

Hello!
No problem :smile:
One of the main differences is the location- St George's is situated just past Park Bar in a big complex of halls whereas Wessex is near to Bridges Hall on the other side of campus. If you are someone who goes to the Sportspark then St George's is your best bet as it is closer.
Wessex has their own bar, which is a really great atmosphere! They also have their own study facility too. Both of the halls are close to the student union (about 5 mins from Wessex and just under 10 from St George's) where there is karaoke, comedy nights and a nightclub twice a week!
You will find more postgraduate students in St George's compared to Wessex, but you won't be housed all with postgraduates students, they will try and put you with other undergraduates as well. International students are really interesting, lots of my friends lived with international students last year and loved it! Lots of my friends on my course are international students too, and it is great!
So cost - it depends on the type of room - if you get an en-suite room at St George's it is £140.70 per week but a washbasin is £101. In Wessex all the rooms have washbasins, they are upgraded rooms at £112 per week.

Hope this helps you! If you have any more questions feel free to ask :smile:

Alice
2nd Year Food Science Student :h:
Original post by xdeathcondor
Thanks for the reply!^^ Although, I have a few more questions. 1) How do I pay accommodation? can I pay it weekly? or does it have to be by term? 2) Can my parents stay with me at the uni for a week? as I am an International student. 3) How many exams do I have to take in order to pass the year? apart from coursework, I mean. How many exams will I have to take, by the end of my degree? and yearly? I'm taking an English Literature degree. Thank you in advance:smile:

Hello!
That's no problem at all :smile:
You have to pay your accommodation every term in instalments, you pay it online on in the receipts office on campus - you always pay less on the last term compared to the first two terms. Once you have enrolled in the university, you will have access to a student portal which will give you a break down of your accommodation instalments.
You are only allowed to sign one person in to stay with you in your room, so one parent could stay with you for a couple of days, but if both of them visit and they want to stay longer then we have a hotel on campus, called the Cedars hotel, or there are lots of hotels in Reading and surrounding the campus. There is one about a 10 minute walk from campus, which would be very convenient.
The amount of exams you have to sit, really depends on your degree and also on the modules you choose to take. I do Food Science and I had 8 exams last year, but you will have less than that because you will do lots of coursework throughout the year - and some modules will be only coursework. To pass the first year you need to get 40%, usually in each of your modules, but this depends on your modules specifically.

Hope this helps you - and just ask if you have anymore questions!

Hi there,
Since I decided to make Reading my insurance choice, do I have to apply for accommodation?
Original post by whi03
Hi,
I now have an unconditional offer and have applied for accommodation, the email back from reading said I would hear back from them within 10 working days, does this mean I will be told what hall I am in? Or just that I am guaranteed a room even though I am anyway as it's unconditional and firm choice on my ucas?

Thank you in advance :smile:

Hello

Firstly, congratulations on the unconditional offer - that is amazing news!

You don't receive your accommodation offer until results day or just after and your place has been confirmed :smile: The email will, as you say, be to say that your accommodation is guaranteed because you have put Reading as your firm choice!

Good luck with your exams, if you have any more questions feel free to ask :smile:

Alice:h:
2nd Year Food Science student
Original post by Shafy97
Hi there,
Since I decided to make Reading my insurance choice, do I have to apply for accommodation?

Hello!

Firstly, congratulations on your offer!

You can't actually apply for accommodation for your insurance choice, if you do end up coming to Reading then there will be the option to apply for halls after results day from the 21st August.

Good luck with your exams, and hope this helps - feel free to ask any more questions!

Hello!

Firstly, congratulations on your offer!

You can't actually apply for accommodation for your insurance choice, if you do end up coming to Reading then there will be the option to apply for halls after results day from the 21st August.

Good luck with your exams, and hope this helps - feel free to ask any more questions!

Cheers Alice!
Hey guys,

Quick question, what's bridges halls like overall?? I wasn't unable to visit it when I came for an applicant day but on the website, it looks lovely! what's the social side like? what's it like with a shared bathroom between a few people thing? what kinda people normally stay there because I'm looking for a lively bunch of people to live with! Does it actually look like the pictures online?

Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by harriet64
Hey guys,

Quick question, what's bridges halls like overall?? I was unable to visit it when I came for an applicant day but on the website, it looks lovely! what's the social side like? what's it like with a shared bathroom between a few people thing? what kinda people normally stay there because I'm looking for a lively bunch of people to live with! Does it actually look like the pictures online and is it close to the union/library ect

Thanks in advance :smile:

The map says 10 mins from library https://www.reading.ac.uk/web/files/accommodation/Walking_distances_to_halls.pdf
Reply 53
Original post by Lc1234
Looking to put Reading as my firm choice, and atm i am considering Childs Hall or Bridges accommodation as my 2 most preferred. Anyone else also wanting to apply to these? or any useful information regarding these options?

Hi!

I'm also thinking of applying to Bridges or Childs! I was thinking Bridges, as its close to where the speech and language therapy block is. But then I don't know if childs /stenton/ mackinder might have a more social vibe to them. What course have you applied for??
Reply 54
I will be attending Reading next year for my PGCE, are there any halls that are specific to PGCE students/post-grads on campus or do many people tend to apply to Kendrick Hall?
Reply 55
I put Bridges as my second preferred accommodation, but i would be happy with either of them tbh! and I have applied for a BA in Art :smile: wbu?
Original post by Lily44
Hi!

I'm also thinking of applying to Bridges or Childs! I was thinking Bridges, as its close to where the speech and language therapy block is. But then I don't know if childs /stenton/ mackinder might have a more social vibe to them. What course have you applied for??
Reply 56
Original post by Lc1234
I put Bridges as my second preferred accommodation, but i would be happy with either of them tbh! and I have applied for a BA in Art :smile: wbu?

Hey!

Have you put Childs as your first then? Did you put down any more accommodation choices or just Childs and Bridges? I've applied for Speech and Language Therapy Just firmed Reading as my first choice and now need to apply for accommodation. :smile:
Reply 57
Yes Childs Hall is my first, then Bridges, then Bridges townhouse (which is slightly different to the main halls), then McCombie House, and then Wessex! You have a maximum of 5 to put down :smile: and ahhh cool, is your offer conditional?
Original post by Lily44
Hey!

Have you put Childs as your first then? Did you put down any more accommodation choices or just Childs and Bridges? I've applied for Speech and Language Therapy Just firmed Reading as my first choice and now need to apply for accommodation. :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by Lc1234
Yes Childs Hall is my first, then Bridges, then Bridges townhouse (which is slightly different to the main halls), then McCombie House, and then Wessex! You have a maximum of 5 to put down :smile: and ahhh cool, is your offer conditional?

Yeah its conditional and I have to get AAB:/ What about you? Where are you from is it close to Reading? I'm from Norfolk:smile:
Reply 59
Is Bridges Premium Ensuite only for postgrads as this is what it says on the accommodation guide online? I was led to believe this could be for Undergraduates too or is this not the case?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending