The Student Room Group

YES, it's in Romania ❤️

Scroll to see replies

I am offensive and I find this gypsy
Original post by Michiyo
It would all make sense if you studied anything related to sociology and knew that being British, Japanese, Romanian or any other nationality is much more than having a citizenship or being born in a country :rolleyes:

If it helps you understand, start by asking yourself 'What makes a person British?'. Is it just a citizenship or place of birth or is it much more than that? Think of all the immigrants you have met when pondering on this and you might just realise why a lot of gypsies can hardly be called Romanian even if they were born in Romania.

On paper, they are British.
Original post by EC
If you stopped believing everything The Daily Mail says, you'd be surprised.

So true.

I know many Eastern Europeans (Polish/ Romanian/Ukrainian) and they're really nice. Not gangsters, con artists, and other crims that'll knife you b4 you even say 'Hi' to them, as claimed by some people on this forum.

There are quite a few working as doctors in the NHS, teachers, and other professional jobs.
Original post by Michiyo
I will live there for enough time to get a British citizenship. But even if I had that citizenship, most British people would consider me Romanian and not British since I would not fit in with British norms, values, and culture. The same happens with gypsies and Romanians. Not all people with a certain citizenship can truly be considered of that nationality outside of the law because they do not match people of that nationality in culture and so forth.

If you assimilate to the cultural norms of the UK, uphold the values of the UK and partake in an active way, you can call yourself British and most people would accept that you're British. I know people who are naturalised Brits and they're more British than most, it would be wrong to deny that they're British unless they didn't wish to classify themselves as such.

This applies to the gypsy argument as gypsies don't tend to assimilate, uphold the values of the country they hold citizenship with and nor do they partake in a way that's considered correct by those there, it's therefore sensible to state that they're not Romanian, British etc. However if they did wish to become a valued member of society, I don't see an issue with saying they're of X nationality but as of now, they're generally not and we shouldn't consider them as such.
The way I see it, if by law you are a 'British Citizen', then you have every right to be called British.
Original post by Cherub012
On paper, they are British.

On paper, yes. But would those around them truly consider them to be British? If I got a British citizenship today, would you consider me British even though I talk with a heavy accent, dislike British food, eat Romanian food, do not put milk into tea, think thanking bus drivers is weird, think drinking until you are so wasted you sleep on the floor is annoying and not fun, and overall am the opposite of British norms, values, and culture?

Original post by PandaSal
If you assimilate to the cultural norms of the UK, uphold the values of the UK and partake in an active way, you can call yourself British and most people would accept that you're British. I know people who are naturalised Brits and they're more British than most, it would be wrong to deny that they're British unless they didn't wish to classify themselves as such.

This applies to the gypsy argument as gypsies don't tend to assimilate, uphold the values of the country they hold citizenship with and nor do they partake in a way that's considered correct by those there, it's therefore sensible to state that they're not Romanian, British etc. However if they did wish to become a valued member of society, I don't see an issue with saying they're of X nationality but as of now, they're generally not and we shouldn't consider them as such.

THIS BRITON I think? KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. :clap2:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Michiyo
To confirm? I never implied black people could not be British. I think they can be British, to answer your question. But being British is more than just living there or being born there. That is the sociological argument I am bringing in: being a nationality implies more than merely being born there or living there, hence why not all gypsies who are born in Romania can be called Romanian.

Honestly, judging by your reponses, I guess you are most likely a SJW or an ethnic minority (black, Pakistani, Muslim, etc) or immigrant affected by the psychological process of projection who is arguing against our points based on emotional 'reasons' in an attempt to defend their own identity as British by projecting the argument onto other groups.

Being a nationality does not imply any of those. Being a natinailty means you have that country's passport. Nationality and ethnicity are not the same as I've said before.

Original post by Michiyo

IKR? That is what I am trying to explain with my sociological argument. I lived in the UK for two years, I am most likely going to the university in the UK, and I will live there for enough time to get a British citizenship. But even if I had that citizenship, most British people would consider me Romanian and not British since I would not fit in with British norms, values, and culture. The same happens with gypsies and Romanians. Not all people with a certain citizenship can truly be considered of that nationality outside of the law because they do not match people of that nationality in culture and so forth.

Obviously you will not be considered British as you've been here for 2 years :laugh: You are comparing yourself to the gypsies who have been in Romania since the 13th century. What an utterly ridiculous comparison. If living somewhere for 800 years doesn't make you a nationailty then I don't know what does.

Lots of Europeans move around countries, but are considered the nationailty of whichever country they move to. Your argument clearly has racist views.
Original post by EC
@Michiyo I wonder..if some Gypsies have British written in their passport, do people in this thread consider them British? :lol:

Yes.
Original post by Michiyo
On paper, yes. But would those around them truly consider them to be British?

God knows. Identity is a rocky field. Is Bruce Wayne Batman or is Batman simply played by Bruce Wayne? :wink:

I don't think it matters what others think.
Original post by Michiyo
On paper, yes. But would those around them truly consider them to be British? If I got a British citizenship today, would you consider me British even though I talk with a heavy accent, dislike British food, eat Romanian food, do not put milk into tea, think thanking bus drivers is weird, think drinking until you are so wasted you sleep on the floor is annoying and not fun, and overall am the opposite of British norms, values, and culture?

THIS BRITON I think? KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. :clap2:

One may legally be British but at the same time they don't associate themselves as being British or don't 'feel' British. I get what you are saying. As a Romanian living in Britain, I 'feel' British because I lived here for most of my life. I also respect my Romanian nationality considering all of my ancestors are Romanian but I don't believe I behave like a Romanian person.

Heck, I am basically fluent in English (no suprise there) but I am rubbish at comunicating with people in Romanian.

The same goes with Gypsies. They can identify them selves as Gypsies or Romanians.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 150
Original post by Gora Da Explorer
Yes.

Original post by Cherub012
The way I see it, if by law you are a 'British Citizen', then you have every right to be called British.

Yeah sure..let's be straightforward here and honest. Britons are so proud of themselves they hardly accept just anyone as being British and I'm talking about people from EU who go to uni there or high school and choose to live in the UK after. They won't be considered British and most won't see themselves as being British either.

Or there is this woman who founded Anastasia Beverly Hills when she gave an interview she said she considers herself to be Romanian, not American even if she moved to LA in the early 90s and now she owns a really successful line of beauty products. There are also many Romanians who have businesses in Britain and they identify as Romanians even if they have families in the UK and their whole life is there now.
Original post by Coup d'état
Being a nationality does not imply any of those. Being a natinailty means you have that country's passport. Nationality and ethnicity are not the same as I've said before.

Obviously you will not be considered British as you've been here for 2 years :laugh: You are comparing yourself to the gypsies who have been in Romania since the 13th century. What an utterly ridiculous comparison. If living somewhere for 800 years doesn't make you a nationailty then I don't know what does.

Lots of Europeans move around countries, but are considered the nationailty of whichever country they move to. Your argument clearly has racist views.

So someone who does not follow British culture, norms, and values is British to you if they have a citizenship?

From a sociological standpoint, following their culture, norms, and values do :biggrin: Which most gypsies do not do, by the way. If they did, no one would say 'gypsies are not Romanian' :rofl:

Actually, I am basing it on sociology and culture. You will know that if you open a sociology book and read the chapters on culture and nationality. :laugh:

Original post by stoyfan
One may legally be British but at the same time they don't associate themselves as being British or don't 'feel' British. I get what you are saying. As a Romanian living in Britain, I 'feel' British because I lived here for most of my life. I also respect my Romanian nationality considering all of my ancestors are Romanian but I don't believe I behave like a Romanian person.

Another smart person has appeared. I am glad to have you here. :hugs:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EC
Yeah sure..let's be straightforward here and honest. Britons are so proud of themselves they hardly accept just anyone as being British and I'm talking about people from EU who go to uni there or high school and choose to live in the UK after. They won't be considered British and most won't see themselves as being British either.

Or there is this woman who founded Anastasia Beverly Hills when she gave an interview she said she considers herself to be Romanian, not American even if she moved to LA in the early 90s and now she owns a really successful line of beauty products. There are also many Romanians who have businesses in Britain and they identify as Romanians even if they have families in the UK and their whole life is there now.

I'm not fully British but I have the most over the top British mannerisms to the point it's become a shtick. People consider me a certified Brit.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 153
Original post by stoyfan

Heck, I am basically fluent in English (no suprise there) but I am rubbish at comunicating in Romanian.

This is the most important: how people feel and how they truly identify themselves.
Reply 154
I'm not fully British but I have the most over the top British mannerism to the point it's become a shtick. People consider me a certified Brit.

:lol: :lol:

I'm like a slightly South European looking Boris Johnson.
Reply 156
Original post by ThePricklyOne
So true.

I know many Eastern Europeans (Polish/ Romanian/Ukrainian) and they're really nice. Not gangsters, con artists, and other crims that'll knife you b4 you even say 'Hi' to them, as claimed by some people on this forum.

There are quite a few working as doctors in the NHS, teachers, and other professional jobs.

No one should judge a book by its cover.
Reply 157
I'm like a slightly South European looking Boris Johnson.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it is now clear why people consider you a certified Brit. Ahaha.
I'm black,
Original post by EC
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it is now clear why people consider you a certified Brit. Ahaha.

I play up to it. I understand if you're dark and have an accent you may not be treated as having the same cultural capital and a swarthy aristocratic figure, but that's no excuse to speak about the Roma with coldness.

Quick Reply

Latest