The Student Room Group

YES, it's in Romania ❤️

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Gora Da Explorer
I play up to it. I understand if you're dark and have an accent you may not be treated as having the same cultural capital and a swarthy aristocratic figure, but that's no excuse to speak about the Roma with coldness.

I was joking btw. Ofc you don't have to look like people from that nation to be considered part of it.

I really don't think Michiyo and I have spoken about them with coldness and tbh I haven't even thought about their skin color or their accents because I don't think these characteristics should matter at all. :lol:
Original post by Michiyo

Actually, I am basing it on sociology and culture. You will know that if you open a sociology book and read the chapters on culture and nationality. :laugh:

Original post by Michiyo
It is not a superstition, but a fact, as gypsies have darker skin, hair, and eye colour than Romanians and do have a different appearance in general. In consequence, they could not have originated from Romania or any other East European country.

Found the lying racist.
Original post by EC

I really don't think Michiyo and I have spoken about them with coldness and tbh I haven't even thought about their skin color or their accents because I don't think these characteristics should matter at all. :lol:

Original post by Michiyo
It is not a superstition, but a fact, as gypsies have darker skin, hair, and eye colour than Romanians and do have a different appearance in general. In consequence, they could not have originated from Romania or any other East European country.

Reply 163
Original post by Coup d'etat

I said I. I don't have two accounts. Lol.
Yes it's in Romania... passive racism vis-à-vis the Roma people...
But they are discriminated against elsewhere in Europe too
Found the lying racist.

The first post refers to MY ARGUMENT THAT NOT EVERYONE WHO HAS A CERTAIN CITIZENSHIP CAN BE CONSIDERED OF THAT NATIONALITY.

The second post refers to THE ORIGIN OF GYPSIES.

Also, in your second post, the first post is by @EC and the second one is by me. As lovely as EC is, EC and I are different people, thank you very much. :h:

Please, for the love of God, try to find some good arguments.

If you feel this is an attack on you: Please, do not take it as so. We are merely discussing what makes a person a nationality right now. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Found the lying racist.

Mazel tov! I found the guy who doesn't understand the argument presented.
Original post by PandaSal
Mazel tov! I found the guy who doesn't understand the argument presented.

Thank you for saying that. :hugs: I was going to answer to that part myself, but sadly, I had no idea what to say that would not be considered rude :rofl:
Original post by Michiyo
The first post refers to MY ARGUMENT THAT NOT EVERYONE WHO HAS A CERTAIN CITIZENSHIP CAN BE CONSIDERED OF THAT NATIONALITY.

Holding citizenship of a country makes you a national of that country. Don't add your own requirements to the word :lol:
Original post by Michiyo

That's (sort of) true for people who have acquired citizenship of a new country later in life, but we're talking about Roma people who have always lived in Romania, who went to Romanian schools, speak Romanian, have Romanian birth certificates and Romanian passports, so of course they're Romanian. Is that really so difficult to understand?
Original post by Snufkin
That's (sort of) true for people who have acquired citizenship of a new country later in life, but we're talking about Roma people who have always lived in Romania, who went to Romanian schools, speak Romanian, have Romanian birth certificates and Romanian passports, so of course they're Romanian. Is that really so difficult to understand?

But what if their culture, norms, and values are completely against that of the country they are in? What if they do not consider themselves to be so? I wish it was that simple, but in this context, it is not.
Reply 171
Original post by Snufkin

Most of them haven't always lived in Romania, didn't go to school at all and don't even speak the language.
Original post by EC
Most of them haven't always lived in Romania, didn't go to school at all and don't even speak the language.

I confirm this.
Holding citizenship of a country makes you a national of that country. Don't add your own requirements to the word :lol:

Tell that to all the immigrants who are considered to be of their home country instead of British after getting their British citizenship. :h:
Reply 174

Oh this is like telling transgender people that their birth certificate, which states their gender identity, defines them entirely so: "Please don't add your own requirements into the world."
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EC
Oh this is like telling transgender people that their birth certificates which state their gender identity define them entirely so: "Please don't add your own requirements into the world."

It does. You will always be the gender you are born as. Changing your appearance doesn't change your DNA and chromosomes.
Wow.
Romania looks amazing.
I wanna go there now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rakes
Wow.
Romania looks amazing.
I wanna go there now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

OMG a peaceful post! IDK who you are, but I love you! :hugs:

Make sure to try the food :daydreaming:
Original post by Michiyo
But what if their culture, norms, and values are completely against that of the country they are in? What if they do not consider themselves to be so? I

I do not believe someone can grow up in a country and not share that country's cultural norms, attitudes and values - but even if you are right and they don't share them, it is irrelevant - they are still Romanian.

Original post by EC

Yes they have. Yes they did. Yes they do.

Neither of you answered my earlier question, do you think someone of Indian descent (but who was born and grew up in the UK) is British?
Reply 179
It does. You will always be the gender you are born as. Changing your appearance doesn't change your DNA and chromosomes.

You only think in black and white? If you follow this principle and following what you've just said then what is written in your passport is pointless because it doesn't change someone's ancestry.

Quick Reply

Latest