The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Did you leave your details?
Original post by IWMTom
Did you leave your details?

Why the fudge would he do that! Its a dog eat dog world, best to get the hell outta there before being found out. Who knows how the other car owner might react? Might wanna maim OP or send death threats. Its far safer to have not done the right thing in this case.
Original post by Gleeson115
I'm a really new driver and I was slowly reversing out of a space to go to a mates after dropping a relative off. The space was so so small but I put my rear fog lights on to see a bit better as it was raining, going really really slow and I started going back and looking in all mirrors and windows and started to turn and looked ahead and I have hit a car and strached it and mine( I don't care about my car tho)
But I'm a having panic attacks that I'm going to get In a lot of trouble and I have no money left after paying for my first month insurance.
I did go back into the space to get out again but I pulled all the way back and got out my car and saw what I have done, but I just got my self back in the car and drive off.
I can't stop panicking and I feel really really bad

Was the car park covered by cctv?
Reply 4
Original post by Laomedeia
Why the fudge would he do that! Its a dog eat dog world, best to get the hell outta there before being found out. Who knows how the other car owner might react? Might wanna maim OP or send death threats. Its far safer to have not done the right thing in this case.

Had a friend who didn't do that and just drove off. They were caught by someone's CCTV and got into serious trouble, had to go to court and fork out a bunch of money. It isn't worth it.
Reply 5

It's a criminal offence to leave the scene of an accident without leaving your details - you are duty bound to notify the owner of the vehicle by some means. Not to mention the fact it's usually against the terms of an insurance policy not to disclose accidents during the policy.

By telling OP the wrong thing, you're contributing to insurance premium increases. Good job, numpty.
**** that its kill or be killed when it comes to that no claims bonus! Someone took the front corner of my mini out at Christmas and ****ed off. There's scratches all over my car that people have done and said ****all. Put it out your head and move on because if theyd have scratched your car they'd have said nothing too! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think a hit and run constitutes a scratch! My sister hit a vehicle at speed, drunk when she was having a manic bipolar episode, she left the scene and was later caught by. Witnesses, the police said she would be prosecuted but she wasn't just £500 fine. I am by no way condoning this, I was furious and she should have been prosecuted, but a small scratch is nothing compared to this. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by KingLhasaApso
I don't think a hit and run constitutes a scratch! My sister hit a vehicle at speed, drunk when she was having a manic bipolar episode, she left the scene and was later caught by. Witnesses, the police said she would be prosecuted but she wasn't just £500 fine. I am by no way condoning this, I was furious and she should have been prosecuted, but a small scratch is nothing compared to this. X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Failing to stop at the scene of an accident is an offence under Section 170 of the Road Traffic Act, irrespective of the damage caused. The severity of the damage reflects on sentencing, should the matter go to court, but it's still an offence.
Original post by UWS
Had a friend who didn't do that and just drove off. They were caught by someone's CCTV and got into serious trouble, had to go to court and fork out a bunch of money. It isn't worth it.

I suppose he could have informed his local plod or something. Either way, I would want to remain anonymous to the owner coz he is gonna be real pissed off.

Original post by IWMTom
It's a criminal offence to leave the scene of an accident without leaving your details - you are duty bound to notify the owner of the vehicle by some means. Not to mention the fact it's usually against the terms of an insurance policy not to disclose accidents during the policy.

By telling OP the wrong thing, you're contributing to insurance premium increases. Good job, numpty.

I still stand by what I say about being safe. If I accidentally bumped someones car, I have no way of knowing whether the owner of that car is a none or an illegal arms dealer. My personal safety takes priority before any legality.

As for contributing to premium increases, they happen anyway because insurance companies are ****in ****s. As are clumsy drivers but like excessive taxes and fees, they are an unfortunate part of motoring life.
Reply 10
I still stand by what I say about being safe. If I accidentally bumped someones car, I have no way of knowing whether the owner of that car is a none or an illegal arms dealer. My personal safety takes priority before any legality.

As for contributing to premium increases, they happen anyway because insurance companies are ****in ****s. As are clumsy drivers but like excessive taxes and fees, they are an unfortunate part of motoring life.

It's doesn't take much to leave a note on the windscreen or ring 101 with your details... are you thick? You don't necessarily have to speak to the person directly. As long as you leave your details, there is no issue.

Insurance premiums are fair, and I'm absolutely sick of people like you complaining about them. You need to consider how much a life costs to an insurer; if they need to pay out on death caused by a policyholder, you realise why everyone's premiums are so high.
Original post by IWMTom
Failing to stop at the scene of an accident is an offence under Section 170 of the Road Traffic Act, irrespective of the damage caused. The severity of the damage reflects on sentencing, should the matter go to court, but it's still an offence.

Yes hitting a car fair enough and causing damage, but a scratch...really?! If everybody whose ever scratched my car in an Asda car park left there details on my windscreen, I'd be forever on the phone to insurance companies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In fact the 10 year old boy who lives next door scratched my car with his bike last month. I'm going to ring the police and have him arrested for a hit and run and failing to stop at the scene of an accident!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm yet to meet somebody who has claimed on their car insurance for a scratch on the paintwork!! Therefore only the idiots that would claim for such a minimal incident are inflating insurance premiums! #lolz

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IWMTom
It's doesn't take much to leave a note on the windscreen or ring 101 with your details... are you thick? You don't necessarily have to speak to the person directly. As long as you leave your details, there is no issue.

Insurance premiums are fair, and I'm absolutely sick of people like you complaining about them. You need to consider how much a life costs to an insurer; if they need to pay out on death caused by a policyholder, you realise why everyone's premiums are so high.

i scratched my neighbour's car a while ago. OK it was not difficult for him to figure out the culprit :colondollar: , but i put a note through his door offering to pay etc.
he was very nice & said it was only a small dent so no need to worry. i gave him a bottle of wine.

The court would love that excuse,
Reply 16
Original post by KingLhasaApso
Yes hitting a car fair enough and causing damage, but a scratch...really?! If everybody whose ever scratched my car in an Asda car park left there details on my windscreen, I'd be forever on the phone to insurance companies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If that really isn't an exaggeration, I'd consider that someone really doesn't like you.

Jokes aside, damage is damage, and scratches can often be unsightly. Why wouldn't I claim on the offending parties insurance to get it fixed? It's not my fault they clearly can't drive 😂😂

Not all of us drive old bangers we don't care about hun
Reply 17
Original post by the bear
i scratched my neighbour's car a while ago. OK it was not difficult for him to figure out the culprit :colondollar: , but i put a note through his door offering to pay etc.
he was very nice & said it was only a small dent so no need to worry. i gave him a bottle of wine.

You fulfilled your legal and moral obligations, and your honesty was evidentally appreciated. Good on you and your neighbour!

Unscrupulous drivers are the worst kind.
Original post by IWMTom

Insurance premiums are fair, and I'm absolutely sick of people like you complaining about them.

Allow me then, insurance premiums for younger drivers are far too high. There should be a restriction on how much an insurer can charge a new driver if they have no previous driving or criminal records. An extended test or something maybe needed to claim for this restriction but something IS needed to prevent insurers forcing new drivers to pay literally thousands for something they will not physically benefit from.
If I was 19 and had to pay £2000 for insurance for my 1st year, what is my reward for not having any incidents that resulted in a claim? Do I get a free 50inch HD TV with a playstation 4 and Grand Theft Auto? No, I get to pay them £1500 for my next years worth. Thanks so much!
Original post by Anonymoùs
Allow me then, insurance premiums for younger drivers are far too high. There should be a restriction on how much an insurer can charge a new driver if they have no previous driving or criminal records. An extended test or something maybe needed to claim for this restriction but something IS needed to prevent insurers forcing new drivers to pay literally thousands for something they will not physically benefit from.
If I was 19 and had to pay £2000 for insurance for my 1st year, what is my reward for not having any incidents that resulted in a claim? Do I get a free 50inch HD TV with a playstation 4 and Grand Theft Auto? No, I get to pay them £1500 for my next years worth. Thanks so much!

As you said you get to pay a lot less next year. Also you can reduce the cost of insurance with a black box - provided you are a good driver, although the nature of your post suggests that is unlikely.

Scratch a car then you leave your phone number, surname and the name of your insurer. If you think someone is going to come after you for scratching their car then you should consider how much more annoyed they will be if they have to go to the effort of finding you through cctv.

Latest