The Student Room Group

Minimum fitness requirements

I spoke to someone on the army website and was told that it is no longer a requirement to do sit ups and press ups before basic training as you are taught it there but the run is still needed as a requirement for entry. I was told that only officers have these as a requirement to join. I thought that it was like 25 press ups and 50 sit ups for soldier entry and obviously the run time.

So can anyone tell me what the fitness requirements for a female would be please?
Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by windyjourney
I spoke to someone on the army website and was told that it is no longer a requirement to do sit ups and press ups before basic training as you are taught it there but the run is still needed as a requirement for entry. I was told that only officers have these as a requirement to join. I thought that it was like 25 press ups and 50 sit ups for soldier entry and obviously the run time.

So can anyone tell me what the fitness requirements for a female would be please?
Thank you.

From what I can see on the Army website, there is a Jerry can carry and a run required for entry into training.

See here for more details.
Original post by NFI
From what I can see on the Army website, there is a Jerry can carry and a run required for entry into training.

See here for more details.

Yh i saw that but i don't see why they would just suddenly change it.
Reply 3
Yh i saw that but i don't see why they would just suddenly change it.

Carrying a weight over a distance is a fairer representative test than press ups and sit ups. No skiving on a Jerry can waddle either.
On a different topic; I have narrowed down my choice to Recovery mechanic in the REME or RMP. After I leave the army i want to pursue a career in the police as this is what i ultimately want to do when i'm older. So i am seeking some advice.
Reply 5
On a different topic; I have narrowed down my choice to Recovery mechanic in the REME or RMP. After I leave the army i want to pursue a career in the police as this is what i ultimately want to do when i'm older. So i am seeking some advice.

There are two schools of thought in my experience.

One is that you can use the Army as a stepping stone into another career, RMP to civpol could be an option.

The second is that you can do something completely different in the Army (that may not have a civilian equivalent for example) before embarking on another career and using the Army to pay for the qualifications to enable your further goals.
Would it be possible for someone to actually double check the fitness standards for me as i can't get in contact with them.
Much appreciated.
Reply 7
Would it be possible for someone to actually double check the fitness standards for me as i can't get in contact with them.
Much appreciated.

They're detailed on the link I provided in post #2.
Okay thank you. I shall just continue to work on my press ups anyway as it will come in handy in phase 1.
Reply 9
Okay thank you. I shall just continue to work on my press ups anyway as it will come in handy in phase 1.

Work on core strength and lower body conditioning too. This will help with load carrying and possibly reduce the DOMS effect in the first couple of weeks of basic training.
Question: If i join the AAC could i do commando or para? Or is not possible
Reply 11
Yes you can do the commando course and jumps course in the AAC. The chances of getting on jumps course will be small though due to the role.
Original post by NFI
Yes you can do the commando course and jumps course in the AAC. The chances of getting on jumps course will be small though due to the role.

why is that?
Both all arms comando and p coy cost money and time. The army would rather favour placeing infantry on those courses (for the most part) due to them more likely using it.
Reply 14
Original post by SnazzyWaffles
Both all arms comando and p coy cost money and time. The army would rather favour placeing infantry on those courses (for the most part) due to them more likely using it.

Not strictly true. The infantry component of 16 and 3 brigade is only a small percentage of the actual formation but you are correct in that jumps is a more expensive qualification and there are many people qualified to do jumps and in a job role that requires it who struggle to get on the course.

Realistically, the justification of trying to get an AAC soldier on to the course is going to be the hard part. The chances of having to deploy a FARP via parachute into a theatre...?

Quick Reply

Latest