The Student Room Group

Thinking about studying Engineering?

Or maybe you're studying Engineering already? :daydreaming:

We're trying to find out what matters most to engineering students when choosing their universities.

If you want to be super helpful and give us an insight into what's important to you, fill in our short five question survey!

Thanks for taking part :gthumb:

Scroll to see replies

The most important of all is to like this study. If the interest is not well-marked, it is hardly possible to come to an end with this study, and even if it comes, but you realize after that not to work in this professional field, the whole time was a waste. I am thinking about taking engineering as a study, but I have realized recently that I would not like it without natural science aspects.
Original post by discobish

We're trying to find out what matters most to engineering students when choosing their universities.

If you want to be super helpful and give us an insight into what's important to you, fill in our short five question survey!

Completed :smile:
Original post by discobish

Well, i'm in Year 12 and the thing I will look out for is whether that university is Russel Group or not...
Original post by CoolCavy
what is your problem?

I like turtles.:turtle:
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
Well, i'm in Year 12 and the thing I will look out for is whether that university is Russel Group or not...

But not all Russell Groups are good. For example, Liverpool and Cardiff. If you go to one of those and say 'Oh I go to a Russell Group you know' you'd get laughed at.

It's like saying a patty from McDonald's is in the same tier as a steak from a Michelin-starred restaurant. Technically they're both beef, but they are far from the same thing.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
But not all Russell Groups are good. For example, Liverpool and Cardiff. If you go to one of those and say 'Oh I go to a Russell Group you know' you'd get laughed at..

What on earth makes you think this? :confused:
Done
Original post by Kallisto
The most important of all is to like this study. If the interest is not well-marked, it is hardly possible to come to an end with this study, and even if it comes, but you realize after that not to work in this professional field, the whole time was a waste. I am thinking about taking engineering as a study, but I have realized recently that I would not like it without natural science aspects.

Then you should take a natural science degree and have the freedom to chose your own modules from various subject areas. By chosing enough modules in specific physics, mathematics and (if appropriate to that engineering field, say EE/EEE) computing subjects, you can always do a masters and still have a chance of being accredited.
Original post by Smack
What on earth makes you think this? :confused:

An elitist complex stemming from deep insecurity.

:cool:
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Then you should take a natural science degree and have the freedom to chose your own modules from various subject areas. By chosing enough modules in specific physics, mathematics and (if appropriate to that engineering field, say EE/EEE) computing subjects, you can always do a masters and still have a chance of being accredited.

If I would take a natural science degree, I would surely not thhinking about chose a module for technology. That is a great detour.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
But not all Russell Groups are good. For example, Liverpool and Cardiff. If you go to one of those and say 'Oh I go to a Russell Group you know' you'd get laughed at.

It's like saying a patty from McDonald's is in the same tier as a steak from a Michelin-starred restaurant. Technically they're both beef, but they are far from the same thing.

One of the truest statements I've heard lol.

People assume Russell Group universities are the best but they're only called Russell Group universities because of the research they do.
Yes many of them are amazing universities but some aren't like Cardiff etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Done, I'm lucky my future job is both highly theoretical and practical (power electronics consultancy), but Warwick largely sucks for engineering, I find it far too traditional and lacking as preparation. The only thing that got me the job was my dissertation preparation.
Reply 14
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10

A university being in the Russell Group isn't an indicator of how good it is, University of Bath is relatively good for engineering and isn't in the Russell group. The Russell Group is only really important for research, and no one is going to care much whether you went to Nottingham (Russell Group) in contrast to Loughborough (Non-Russell Group) in industry.
Reply 15
Original post by emduck
A university being in the Russell Group isn't an indicator of how good it is, University of Bath is relatively good for engineering and isn't in the Russell group. The Russell Group is only really important for research, and no one is going to care much whether you went to Nottingham (Russell Group) in contrast to Loughborough (Non-Russell Group) in industry.

I would say research helps to the extent of either acquiring a sophisticated summer project or as a final dissertation topic especially. However in the context of your average sixth former's view on research, yeah they definitely shouldn't go on that.
Original post by Sae.HH
Done, I'm lucky my future job is both highly theoretical and practical (power electronics consultancy), but Warwick largely sucks for engineering, I find it far too traditional and lacking as preparation. The only thing that got me the job was my dissertation preparation.

What do you mean by "traditional"?
Reply 17
Original post by Smack
What do you mean by "traditional"?

Way too exam focused, labs are frankly ****. First two years were legit easier than A-Levels in terms of workload. I also have other gripes such as poor coursework management in developing software fluency. I've used MATLAB maybe once a year apart from project work. I will say 3rd year is a lot better, but I definitely think other universities will provide a better experience. If I could go back I'd have definitely gone to Edinburgh or Southampton.

Luckily my future employers were academics at Warwick before starting their company so they understood this, but my friends who all had a very strong theoretical foundation were found to be lacking at the latter interview stages. They were applying to top companies though, if you want in at somewhere like Network Rail you'd probably be fine I think.
Original post by Sae.HH
Way too exam focused, labs are frankly ****. First two years were legit easier than A-Levels in terms of workload. I also have other gripes such as poor coursework management in developing software fluency. I've used MATLAB maybe once a year apart from project work. I will say 3rd year is a lot better, but I definitely think other universities will provide a better experience. If I could go back I'd have definitely gone to Edinburgh or Southampton.

Luckily my future employers were academics at Warwick before starting their company so they understood this, but my friends who all had a very strong theoretical foundation were found to be lacking at the latter interview stages. They were applying to top companies though, if you want in at somewhere like Network Rail you'd probably be fine I think.

I agree with a lot of this as much of it applies to engineering education at university in general, and isn't just a Warwick thing.
Reply 19
Original post by Smack
I agree with a lot of this as much of it applies to engineering education at university in general, and isn't just a Warwick thing.

That's definitely true, but there are a few universities that have very strong programmes throughout I hear (Southampton, Bath, Imperial), and I had the grades to go to any of them, besides Oxbridge. Just wish I'd had to foresight to pick one of them looking back now, although things hvae worked out in the end :p:

Quick Reply