The Student Room Group

Meditation vs Prayer

Poll

Which is better, meditation or prayer?

Meditation can make you look like a badass, especially if you do it standing up with your hands behind your back like Morpheus in a nice outdoor environment whilst wearing some kind of robe.

However prayer is more humble.

So which is better?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Prayer can be considered a subtype of meditation, limited to theistic superstition and generally focused on worshiping magical beings and asking them for help. Other types of meditation are focused elsewhere and can be secular with real-world aims and coherent (rational, placebo-free) results.

https://www.psych.ox.ac.uk/research/mindfulness
Reply 2
Original post by AYNTDIS
Meditation can make you look like a badass, especially if you do it standing up with your hands behind your back like Morpheus in a nice outdoor environment whilst wearing some kind of robe.

So which is better?

TM.

Even on a Sunday:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Drez999
TM.

Even on a Sunday:smile:

Am I right in saying that this involves relaxing and saying a word that you don't know the meaning of over and over again in your mind? I just tried it for a few minutes and it seems to have altered my mind substantially. Not sure if I'm more relaxed, I just feel slightly spaced out.
Reply 4
Original post by AYNTDIS
Am I right in saying that this involves relaxing and saying a word that you don't know the meaning of over and over again in your mind? I just tried it for a few minutes and it seems to have altered my mind substantially. Not sure if I'm more relaxed, I just feel slightly spaced out.

Hmmm,

If you have not been trained in TM you will not get best benefits.

You sound as if you are on the right 'wavelength' though.
Reply 5
Original post by Drez999
Hmmm,

If you have not been trained in TM you will not get best benefits.

You sound as if you are on the right 'wavelength' though.

Not going to pay for something which should be available for free, especially when I can just say the Lord's Prayer or conventionally meditate.
Reply 6
Original post by Ascend
Prayer can be considered a subtype of meditation, limited to theistic superstition and generally focused on worshiping magical beings and asking them for help. Other types of meditation are focused elsewhere and can be secular with real-world aims and coherent (rational, placebo-free) results.

https://www.psych.ox.ac.uk/research/mindfulness

It's not just asking for help, it's actively practising forgiveness ("forgive us our trespasses") and praise/humbleness ("for thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory...").
Reply 7
Original post by AYNTDIS
Not going to pay for something which should be available for free, especially when I can just say the Lord's Prayer or conventionally meditate.

Okay, it is obviously entirely up to you.

I'm not on a commission for the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, nor would I wish to be.

Good luck with the future though, with or without your 'imaginary friend'.
Reply 8
Original post by Drez999
Okay, it is obviously entirely up to you.

I'm not on a commission for the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, nor would I wish to be.

Good luck with the future though, with or without your 'imaginary friend'.

I love hearing people say things like this and then I ask them whether they pray when they're in unforeseen serious danger and they say yes. Why is that?

May God bless and forgive you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by AYNTDIS
I love hearing people say things like this and then I ask them whether they pray when they're in unforeseen serious danger and they say yes. Why is that?

Interesting...

"unforeseen serious danger"... Been there. Twice. Both times close to death. Did I pray? No. I 'just' thought of the people in my life that loved me and would miss me if I did die.

"May God bless and forgive you"... Many thanks for the sentiment but I have managed to continue to live without the blessings and forgiveness of your imaginary friend.

I do hope you have a good day and may the Force be with you amigo:smile:
Meditation - a route to freedom from mind dominance through the self. Organic, and from within.

Prayer - calling out to a deity separate to yourself, hence you believe salvation or solutions come from outside you, from another. This is false. All solutions come from accepting what is, then acting from a place of presence.

Case closed.
Reply 11
Original post by Kierensaddlr
Meditation - a route to freedom from mind dominance through the self. Organic, and from within.

Prayer - calling out to a deity separate to yourself, hence you believe salvation or solutions come from outside you, from another. This is false. All solutions come from accepting what is, then acting from a place of presence.

Case closed.

Finally someone talking sense - praise be:smile:
Original post by Drez999
Finally someone talking sense - praise be:smile:

All I have learned is from Buddhism, Eastern Philosophy (e.g. the Tao) and Eckhart Tolle :smile: .
Original post by AYNTDIS

Eckhart Tolle, The Power Of Now, Ch.10: The Meaning Of Surrender...

"There are many accounts of people who say they have found God through their deep suffering, and there is the Christian expression 'the way of the cross,' which I suppose points to the same thing."

"We are concerned with nothing else here.

Strictly speaking, they did not find God through their suffering because suffering implies resistance. They found God through surrender, through total acceptance of what is, into which they were forced by their intense suffering. They must have realised on some level that their pain was self-created....

.... The word God is limiting not only because of thousands of years of misinterpretation and misuse but also because it implies an entity other than you. God is Being itself, not a being. There can be no subject-object relationship here, no duality, no you and God. God-realisation is the most natural thing there is. The amazing and incomprehensible fact is not that you can become conscious of God but that you are not conscious of God...

... The way of the cross is a complete reversal. It means that the worst thing in your life, the cross, turns into the best thing that ever happened to you, by forcing you into surrender, into "death", forcing you to become nothing, to become as God - because God, too, is no-thing."

My work here is done.
Original post by AYNTDIS

So which is better?

I think it depends on your beliefs. I went to a Christian primary school and so when I was younger I used to pray in times of need (for example when my nana got very ill). As I have grown up, I have looked into various religions including Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Wicca and Buddhism. I gave each of them a chance and a part of my heart.

For atheists or people who believe in heavily meditating religions such as Buddhism, it's easy to say that meditation is better. However from another religion's point of view, prayers are better.

I think a lot of people don't understand the depth of meditating, either. It's not just sitting down for a bit, saying "ommm" and completely clearing your head. It's actually quite hard to do that at first and requires regular practice. There are all different types of meditation, all of which carry slightly different meanings and benefits. The nature of praying could very much be considered a type of meditation.

Even in Buddhism they have prayers - and they don't follow a God. I don't think you can have one without the other, and therefore I think that it would be ignorant to say that one is better than the other.
Reply 15
Original post by Amefish
I think it depends on your beliefs. I went to a Christian primary school and so when I was younger I used to pray in times of need (for example when my nana got very ill). As I have grown up, I have looked into various religions including Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Wicca and Buddhism. I gave each of them a chance and a part of my heart.

For atheists or people who believe in heavily meditating religions such as Buddhism, it's easy to say that meditation is better. However from another religion's point of view, prayers are better.

I think a lot of people don't understand the depth of meditating, either. It's not just sitting down for a bit, saying "ommm" and completely clearing your head. It's actually quite hard to do that at first and requires regular practice. There are all different types of meditation, all of which carry slightly different meanings and benefits. The nature of praying could very much be considered a type of meditation.

Even in Buddhism they have prayers - and they don't follow a God. I don't think you can have one without the other, and therefore I think that it would be ignorant to say that one is better than the other.

I tried it and it made me feel a bit weird afterwards, like I was betraying God. So I'm not going to do it anymore. Prayer cleanses my mind, so I will stick to that.
Original post by AYNTDIS
I tried it and it made me feel a bit weird afterwards, like I was betraying God. So I'm not going to do it anymore. Prayer cleanses my mind, so I will stick to that.

Exactly - it's whatever works for you :h:
Reply 17
All I have learned is from Buddhism, Eastern Philosophy (e.g. the Tao) and Eckhart Tolle :smile: .

That sounds all good.

I don't believe in any God but I do believe in kindness and humanity which is why I am a fan of the spirituality of the Dalai Lama.

I hope you have a good day amigo:smile:
Original post by AYNTDIS
I tried it and it made me feel a bit weird afterwards like I was betraying God. So I'm not going to do it anymore. Prayer cleanses my mind, so I will stick to that.

You cannot be betraying anyone since you and God are not separate. The object and the subject are one.
Reply 19
You cannot be betraying anyone since you and God are not separate. The object and the subject are one.

Not sure I believe that. Seems arrogant to say you are one with God. Only God decides that.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending