The Student Room Group

Are you being bullied? Are you a bully? Read my story

One day in 2004, I was sat in the library yet again at school. I was incredibly lonely. I had been pushed into the bathroom and locked in by a gang of girls and boys who were seeking to ruin my life. They were barricading the door with tables, themselves and their school bags full of heavy textbooks. I was stuck in there with only myself for company. How did I escape? There was a window that was slightly ajar, I pushed it open and squeezed my tiny body through the opening into the courtyard. I got detention for being late for maths lesson, but I didn't care. Today I won the game and I was buzzing with energy. Why didn't I tell the teacher? I already had the label of 'grasser' and anyone who dared to 'grass' was beaten up after school.

I couldn't face being jumped again by Sarah Smith and her gang. I couldn't deal with another ten minutes being barraged with verbal abuse as I waited for the school bus that never seemed to come. Even then, the pain didn't end. I couldn't stand another 20 minute bus ride shoving my way through the jungle of bodies that blocked me from getting to the front of the bus.

I could never sit on the bus, because if I didn't stand at the front, I would be prevented from getting off the bus until it reached the terminus. There was always a bully dragging me back from the doors. I was nearly crushed by the doors on more than one occasion and then my mother would wonder why every day I came home with tears in my eyes.

The day after I didn't know what I would face, cigarette burns, multiple bruising, being pushed down 2 flights of stairs, pelted with snowballs . stalked, mugged, tormented, name calling, punches, kicks, tripped, bashed against the wall, stuffed in a bin, wedgies, Chinese burns, shouting in my ear, wood thrown at me, slapped with a ruler, pierced with drawing pins, fingers stappled, finger cut with a band saw, seeing my name graffittied alongside derogatory terms, sworn at, mocked, locked in a bin storage area, locked in toilets, locked in classrooms, hair pulled, spat on, sexually assaulted, tied to a tree, tied to a chair, all this happened to me. and more.

I lived this for 15 years....

Why?

Because I got good grades.

Did I kill myself?
No
Did I want to?
Yes
But then they would have won, and I wasn't going to let them.
I am strong because of what I suffered.
It is now 12 years since I left school.
What has happened since then?

I decided to dedicate my life to helping others who have been what I have been through. I want to mentor children and young adults who are experiencing bulling to enable them to have the support I didn't have.
I help students with learning difficulties to achieve their English and Maths GCSEs in Secondary and Further Education.
I have a MA in English Literature.
I passed all of my GCSEs and A levels despite the emotional turmoil I was experiencing.
If you are suffering and need help, please speak to me before you do something you will regret.
I am a survivor, and you can be too.
If you are bullying someone and you have read this, please reconsider your actions, or they will haunt you in the years to come.

What happened to the bullies?

One is a prostitute and a drug addict.
At least 10 of them have appeared in magistrates court for sentencing for crimes such as theft, shoplifting, assault and fraud.
One is doing 10 years for armed robbery.
One is doing 15 years for murder.
The others seem to have reformed.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
And I bet you're the strong and successful one now. :cute:
Original post by Alexion
And I bet you're the strong and successful one now. :cute:

of course.
Reply 3
This has just made me cry and given me hope.

We!l done x x

I was being bullied up until a few weeks ago. I'd love to talk to you about my experiences could i PM you?
Omggggg what happened is so horrible :cry2:
I am so glad you could go through it , and I respect you for that. :girl:
You are so lovely wanting to help others !! And you seem so courageous and amazing !

I've never been bullied , and I am not a bully. It's been 2 years I finished school and I was my whole life the worst nightmare of the bullies. I was putting them at their right place. And some of them never bullied anyone again after

Anyway I am so glad people like you exist , keep it up girl :heart: :hugs:
Original post by Bekkiblu
This has just made me cry and given me hope.

We!l done x x

I was being bullied up until a few weeks ago. I'd love to talk to you about my experiences could i PM you?

Yes of course you can.
Original post by Powersymphonia
x.

in case theyre misinterpreted, following applause gifs are geuine and not in anyway sarcastic...theres always a few on here that never get my quotes/gifs...

I applaud your strength and resilience

well done!!!:h::h:
That's a terrible thing to go through :redface: so glad you are better now, you're such a strong person xx
Original post by Powersymphonia
One day in 2004, I was sat in the library yet again at school. I was incredibly lonely. I had been pushed into the bathroom and locked in by a gang of girls and boys who were seeking to ruin my life. They were barricading the door with tables, themselves and their school bags full of heavy textbooks. I was stuck in there with only myself for company. How did I escape? There was a window that was slightly ajar, I pushed it open and squeezed my tiny body through the opening into the courtyard. I got detention for being late for maths lesson, but I didn't care. Today I won the game and I was buzzing with energy. Why didn't I tell the teacher? I already had the label of 'grasser' and anyone who dared to 'grass' was beaten up after school.

I couldn't face being jumped again by Sarah Smith and her gang. I couldn't deal with another ten minutes being barraged with verbal abuse as I waited for the school bus that never seemed to come. Even then, the pain didn't end. I couldn't stand another 20 minute bus ride shoving my way through the jungle of bodies that blocked me from getting to the front of the bus.

I could never sit on the bus, because if I didn't stand at the front, I would be prevented from getting off the bus until it reached the terminus. There was always a bully dragging me back from the doors. I was nearly crushed by the doors on more than one occasion and then my mother would wonder why every day I came home with tears in my eyes.

The day after I didn't know what I would face, cigarette burns, multiple bruising, being pushed down 2 flights of stairs, pelted with snowballs . stalked, mugged, tormented, name calling, punches, kicks, tripped, bashed against the wall, stuffed in a bin, wedgies, Chinese burns, shouting in my ear, wood thrown at me, slapped with a ruler, pierced with drawing pins, fingers stappled, finger cut with a band saw, seeing my name graffittied alongside derogatory terms, sworn at, mocked, locked in a bin storage area, locked in toilets, locked in classrooms, hair pulled, spat on, sexually assaulted, tied to a tree, tied to a chair, all this happened to me. and more.

I lived this for 15 years....

Why?

Because I got good grades.

Did I kill myself?
No
Did I want to?
Yes
But then they would have won, and I wasn't going to let them.
I am strong because of what I suffered.
It is now 12 years since I left school.
What has happened since then?

I decided to dedicate my life to helping others who have been what I have been through. I want to mentor children and young adults who are experiencing bulling to enable them to have the support I didn't have.
I help students with learning difficulties to achieve their English and Maths GCSEs in Secondary and Further Education.
I have a MA in English Literature.
I passed all of my GCSEs and A levels despite the emotional turmoil I was experiencing.
If you are suffering and need help, please speak to me before you do something you will regret.
I am a survivor, and you can be too.
If you are bullying someone and you have read this, please reconsider your actions, or they will haunt you in the years to come.

What happened to the bullies?

One is a prostitute and a drug addict.
At least 10 of them have appeared in magistrates court for sentencing for crimes such as theft, shoplifting, assault and fraud.
One is doing 10 years for armed robbery.
One is doing 15 years for murder.
The others seem to have reformed.

You are awesome. I'm still being bullied but I'm standing up to them. I'm surviving, and I'm glad that you and others are too.
In real life bullies and other bad people generally do well provided they also have the discipline to focus their energies to useful endeavors.
This is such an inspiring post, and I thank the OP for writing this.

I was bullied passive aggressively for years and I've lost so much life to it, I have grey hairs and I'm only in my early 20s. The flashbacks can ruin my day.

xx
Original post by l'etranger
In real life bullies and other bad people generally do well provided they also have the discipline to focus their energies to useful endeavors.

I agree, they know how to set plans and traps and make you lose your friends, that doesn't make them smart though.
Original post by ClassicWhovian
I agree, they know how to set plans and traps and make you lose your friends, that doesn't make them smart though.

It's not even that. Power struggle is a part of like and we need to stop kidding ourselves with these moralistic fallacies.
Original post by MJlover
This is such an inspiring post, and I thank the OP for writing this.

I was bullied passive aggressively for years and I've lost so much life to it, I have grey hairs and I'm only in my early 20s. The flashbacks can ruin my day.

xx

How horrible, don't let the stress take over your mind, it's the bullies who already have strange things going through their minds.
How horrible, don't let the stress take over your mind, it's the bullies who already have strange things going through their minds.

Yeah they were a bit weird lol tbh. But now I see them being successful, getting married and doing well and I'm stuck here... its hard to think positively sometimes.
Original post by MJlover
Yeah they were a bit weird lol tbh. But now I see them being successful, getting married and doing well and I'm stuck here... its hard to think positively sometimes.

Don't ignore those thoughts, but expand them. People like them don't change.
You are awesome. I'm still being bullied but I'm standing up to them. I'm surviving, and I'm glad that you and others are too.

Good luck dude on standing up to bullies, stay strong. I'm so glad high school is over though, one day it will be a new slate for you too.
I remember when I used to get picked on in year 8, I came across the "It gets better" campaign on youtube for young people being bullied for their sexuality. Although I wasn't being picked on for that, it really did give me hope that when I leave school things will get better. You're living proof of that and so am I.

Most of the girls who upset me got kicked out of school, are young mothers on benifits, and work not the greatest jobs :/

I sound snobby but I don't care, it really was mental torment. I really do believe my anxious tendencies started back then, and have progressed since (although now on different subject matter).
Original post by l'etranger

Mine haven't, half of them are in the army or are drug addicts with criminal records/ time in jail :laugh:
Sounds like my experience of school, glad to know other people have gone through similar.

Quick Reply

Latest