The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham College Allocation Thread - 2017

Scroll to see replies

Allocated to Hild Bede, which I applied to. I didn't realise it was fully catered, but it seems like a nice place anyway. I sort of regret not applying to castle, but I was worried that if I did I'd end up somewhere I hated so I'm not too dissapointed.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Tortoises172
Does anyone know if St Cuthbert's has a college family thing like some of the other colleges where you get parents and marry people etc?

cuths have the college family system You'll have a parents evening in freshers week!
Doesn't anyone know if Trevs has a college family system? :smile:
Original post by baznoy

Yes they do!
Is anyone stopping over at Josephine Butler on 20th March?
Reply 305
Is anyone staying over at st.aidans on the 20th march?
Original post by jamestg
There's a lot of statistical analysis going on based on the applicants they've given offers to this year, college availability and previous data. They know already roughly how many will miss their offers, how many will not accept an offer and how many they can take on despite not getting the grades.

Unless your daughter has been allocated an unpopular college, it's highly unlikely that your daughter will end up at the allocated college. To put it bluntly, your daughter will be shoved in anywhere there is room providing she gets the grades.

However it is worth pointing out that Durham have extremely little 'wiggle room' due to the collegiate system. If she misses the grades for Durham (even by one) and she insures there is very very little chance of being accepted. Even if she firms she isn't guaranteed to get in because results day will be a complete chaos due to the new A-levels being 'unknown quantities'.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Any idea of how likely I would be to get St Mary's (the one I chose and was allocated) for economics if I insured Durham or would I almost certainly get St Hild and St Bede or St Cuthberts?
Reply 307
Original post by Buymoria
Any idea of how likely I would be to get St Mary's (the one I chose and was allocated) for economics if I insured Durham or would I almost certainly get St Hild and St Bede or St Cuthberts?

Very unlikely. You would most likely end up at either those two colleges you mentioned, or Aidans/Trevs/Mildert.

AFAIK, insuring Durham is the equivalent of missing your offer at Durham but still getting a place (if you choose a popular college). Mary's is really oversubscribed, so you'll be placed onto a holding table and reallocated anywhere there is room.

Quite gutted that you got your first choice, which was also my first choice haha, and you're insuring! Ah well, ending up at John's is deffo one of the best reallocations lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jamestg
Very unlikely. You would most likely end up at either those two colleges you mentioned, or Aidans/Trevs/Mildert.

AFAIK, insuring Durham is the equivalent of missing your offer at Durham but still getting a place (if you choose a popular college). Mary's is really oversubscribed, so you'll be placed onto a holding table and reallocated anywhere there is room.

Quite gutted that you got your first choice, which was also my first choice haha, and you're insuring! Ah well, ending up at John's is deffo one of the best reallocations lol.

Might end up insuring Bath instead just in case
Reply 309
Original post by Buymoria
Might end up insuring Bath instead just in case

If you think you'd be happier at Bath if your miss your firm, then go for it. But I wouldn't let the colleges get in the way of it, most people love their college - even if they didn't apply there.
Original post by baznoy

I'm at Trevs and I think its family system is the best (I've heard of) - they vary a lot from college to college.

From what I've heard, most colleges like two of you get allocated to two parents from the year above, but not necessarily doing your subject (at Castle they get 'college married'). At Trevs, for each subject there are at 1-3 parents doing your subject (depends on subject size etc) - usually 2 - for everyone doing your subject in first year (e.g. for chemistry its 2 parents for 19 including 10 NatScis doing a chem module) and to be a parent you have to at least get a 2:1 in first/second year, so they're really good. So far they've organised a few bar crawls as well as revision drop-ins and a drop-in to go over the progress test in January.
Reply 311
I've been reading the new college allocation process and it appears to say that if you're not lucky enough to be allocated your first choice it is then completely random - so you could apply for a small, fully catered traditional Bailey college close to your lectures and get a large, self catered non-traditional Hill college with a long walk? This seems senseless so am I reading it wrong?
Reply 312
Original post by HY1001
I've been reading the new college allocation process and it appears to say that if you're not lucky enough to be allocated your first choice it is then completely random - so you could apply for a small, fully catered traditional Bailey college close to your lectures and get a large, self catered non-traditional Hill college with a long walk? This seems senseless so am I reading it wrong?

Yes that's the process. The vast majority get their preference, just some are unlucky and they are usually the ones who apply for the really popular colleges (Castle, Chads and Mary's)
Is anyone aware of how many people get offers from Durham every year? I can't fathom why people think it would be anything other than a logistical nightmare to assess everyones priorities in terms of colleges, and to try and make it all fit so that everyones happy.. I'd understand if it was completely random to be honest, sounds a right pain to organise
Original post by ConicalFlask
Allocated to Hild Bede, which I applied to. I didn't realise it was fully catered, but it seems like a nice place anyway. I sort of regret not applying to castle, but I was worried that if I did I'd end up somewhere I hated so I'm not too dissapointed.

I've been allocated to Hild Bede as well :smile: what course have you applied for?
Original post by swilson98
I've been allocated to Hild Bede as well :smile: what course have you applied for?

Biomedical science. You?
Original post by ConicalFlask
Biomedical science. You?

Chemistry, so Hild Bede is the furthest college from the department, but even then it isn't too far.
Is anyone here going to the Hatfield ( or any other college with a formal on the open day ) open day, and if so what are you wearing?

My greatest fear in life is either being very over or under dressed.
Hi,
Original post by EricAteYou
Is anyone here going to the Hatfield ( or any other college with a formal on the open day ) open day, and if so what are you wearing?

My greatest fear in life is either being very over or under dressed.

Hi was wondering the same. Asked my friend and they said prospective Hatfielders should have received a welcome letter from the college with a link to their Facebook group and you can ask on there if you want to make sure what their definition of 'smart' is. I think they want smart 'business' style wear e.g. Suit for a guy and skirt/blouse or dress for a girl. I don't think they want anything too formal so no DJs or ball gowns.
Is anyone going to a residential visit next week?
I'm going on the 20th-21st at Collingwood.
Anyone else? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest